ClubRoadster.net banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
Not sure why the 36-2 trigger wheel from FM wont fit the fluid damper, but will fit the OE damper. i called them and told them about the issue a while back, and they didn't seem worried about it. Oh well.
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
The main bearing support plate i had Keegan machine to clear the ARP main studs finally showed up, that means i can finally seal up the oil pan. One last look at the bottom end before it gets covered up.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Gas Auto part

I had hoped Keegan would have retained the middle two mounting supports for the MBSP, not sure exactly why he felt the need to remove the gussets entirely. It kind of defeats the purpose of the MBSP. Oh well.

Gas Machine Engineering Auto part Wheel

Debatably the most important gasket in the entire motor.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive tire

Brand new oil pick up, this is getting way too professional for me.
Automotive exterior Gas Engineering Auto part Machine

A ton of RTV and some patience later, the oil pan is finally on for good. I like to put the oil pan on, and then tighten the bolts down just enough to start to feel some resistance, then wait about an hour or so while the RTV sets. Ive learned my lesson with leaky oil pans (as the screen name suggests), and have had much better luck torquing bolts to spec in multiple increments. After an hour i torque to 1/3 of the spec, another hour, 2/3 of the spec, and then the next day finish up with the final 3rd of the spec. This is a good time to have a victory beer.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

I love getting to use the inch pounds torque wrench.
Gas Engineering Machine Automotive tire Bicycle part

After the final torque was applied to the pan, i grabbed the FM crank tool and connected it to the crank with a flywheel bolt, and to the oil pan with a transmission bolt. In order to torque the front crank bolt that secures the fluid damper to spec, you have to keep the motor from rotating over while tightening.
Saw Machine tool Machine Auto part Engineering

Cant forget the blue locktite on the crank bolt.
Font Tints and shades Audio equipment Electric blue Everyday carry

Attachments

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I always forget how much torque the crank bolt requires. My torque wrench only goes to 100 foot pounds, so i torque it to 100 and then give it a little extra afterwards to meet the spec.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Engineering

Attachments

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Charlie posted some photos of the valve cover he's working on for me. The AN fittings look awesome. The valve cover is getting powder coated and should be in the mail soon. Once the valve cover gets here, the engine should be coming off of the stand very soon.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Wood

Product Automotive tire Line Gas Rim

Hand Photograph Light Product Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
Motor on the ground, ready for the SuperMiata 1.6 clutch and flywheel. Lots of other small things like the coolant reroute and VVT lines finished up.
Automotive tire Gas Art Machine Composite material

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Gas

Automotive tire Gas Wood Auto part Engineering

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Rim Engineering

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Machine tool Gas Automotive wheel system

yes, i forgot the dust shield / starter plate. I forget to instal that before the clutch and flywheel every time.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 · (Edited)
Coil on plug kit from Advanced Engine Dynamix. It looks absolutely amazing. Toby from AED is great, the wiring harness he made looks top notch, and going to sequential ignition will be a breeze. The harness he made is far better than anything i could replicate myself. The work was so good that i'm having him make my injector harness as well.

Product Green Black Electrical wiring Wood

Circuit component Automotive tire Electronic engineering Electronic component Passive circuit component

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Engineering Gas

Attachments

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Time to attach the 6 speed. I like to get the engine leveled out and raised up, and then put the transmission on a height adjustable stool. Once you get the height of the transmission and the engine pretty close to each other, you can then use the weight of the engine to help drive the transmission home by pushing the transmission against the hanging engine. This beats trying to wiggle the transmission into place while it's on the ground.
Engineering Gas Automotive tire Composite material Machine

Automotive tire Building Motor vehicle Gas Engineering

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Automotive design Machine

Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Auto part Machine

Attachments

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
After scratching the powder coat up with the hoist already, i wasn't going to take anymore chances and taped everything up as best as possible. Lesson learned, wait to do the valve cover until the engine is in the car.
Automotive tire Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Floor

Time to throw this thing in the car.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Engineering Electrical wiring Gas

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire Engineering

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle

Attachments

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
You know what they say, adopt don't shop. A friend of mine had this 05 Mazdaspeed Miata with only 60,000 miles that needed a motor. I said no more cars but I couldn't resit the MSM. Thanks Miles!
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive side marker light

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Grille Automotive tire

And just like that, another engine is on the engine stand.
Automotive tire Gas Machine Composite material Auto part

Motor vehicle Machine tool Engineering Gas Machine

Pretty crazy piston damage. Im not sure how the bore Isn't totally destroyed. I imagine a terrible tune and the lack of support for the Hydra ECU thats in the car is the culprit.
Footwear Tire Wheel Hood Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Back to the project, Im working on wiring for the injector harness. Adding VVT and going from batch injection to sequential injection means that the signals for injector 1 and 2 get connected to the factory harness, and the signal wires for injectors 3 and 4 plus the signal wire for the VVT solenoid get sent to the options plug on the ECU.
Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Car Automotive exterior

Plant Grass Rectangle Twig Tree

I dont have enough faith in my limited wiring experience to trust my work, so I'm nailing down the lengths i want for everything and how i want it routed, then my "harness" will be sent to Toby at AED so he can make me a real motorsport grade harness.
Motor vehicle Auto part Vehicle Nut Automotive super charger part

61 - 75 of 75 Posts