ClubRoadster.net banner

The 'I told you you'd be back' build of Misfire, my NB2 with F1 inspiration

35K views 241 replies 42 participants last post by  GreaseMonkey2000 
#1 · (Edited)
I know what some of you are thinking....'I knew you would be back' or 'that didn't take long' or even 'this guy again'...I can understand any of these thoughts.

The truth is I missed having a roadster far too much and Shelby, my '03 Mustang GT, just wasn't holding my interest enough to keep me from making my way to various automobile listing sites and searching for used Miata's.

So it was only logical that I give in and get another roadster. When I decided I had to part out Warbird I made up my mind that the next Miata would have be a second(NB2) or third(NC) generation and it also would have to have some sort of forced induction, preferably a supercharger.

It really wasn't so much a plan as it was just a causal browsing of used Miata's for sell when I came across a 2001 Mazda Miata in Austin, Tx that was listed to have approx. 104k miles, a supercharger, aftermarket clutch and aftermarket exhaust. There was only one picture and it looked to be one done for a dealership.

I then sent a text asking for more pictures and received them fairly promptly. We exchanged a few more text messages and ended up speaking on the phone and said I would come check it out that day and of course I was told that I had better hurry because there had been many inquiries about it.

The wife and I went to Texas Autoplex(go see Behzad if they have something you are interested in!) in Austin and checked it out and took it for a test drive. The first time I heard the supercharger whine I was ecstatic! Sadly enough I had never been in a forced induction equipped Miata before, much less drove one.

While the power difference from the meager m45 was a noticeable, and welcome, difference from the mostly stock NA8 power-plant of Warbird's I was used to...it wasn't huge difference. In fact I could see how some one that had never driven a stock Miata before could mistakenly think that all Miata's are 'this quick' because it is just enough power to keep you intrigued but not so much that it is a handful.

The test drive was uneventful except for a set of black tire marks that was left in a parking lot when trying to establish, definitively, if it had a LSD or not because when I called Mazda it was showing to be a base model with no additional options but they said sometimes they get added 'afterwards' or something like that.

Unfortunately I couldn't take it home as the bank didn't wrap things up but Behzad said he would hold it for me till Monday with no deposit. A long story short the bank didn't get everything taken care of until Thursday so that evening I went back to Austin where Behzad was kind enough to wait for me 30 minutes after their normal business hours to finalize everything.

Well enough words for now...let's get to some pictures. I just took these, so this is 'as is' from the dealer because I wanted to take pics of it as I bought it before I clean it up or remove anything.

Oh what is this...

Now which is it...you cut the blue or the...blue wire?

Only the best!

Flame throwers?

Look at all dem custom parts bro!

So if it is carbon Kevlar will it stop a bullet?

Oh look the gauges are waving at you!

'Paging Revlimiter'

Hey these look familiar!

Cutting edge technology...

....circa 2000.

So here is a quick run down on what parts it currently has and I have identified:
Exterior:
-mesh grille(will be removed)
-'chrome' fuel door(will be replaced)
-OEM fog lights(that don't currently function)
-OEM spoiler(will be removed eventually, for something else)
-OEM side skirts

Interior:
-carbon Kevlar overlay(will DEFINITELY come off)
-various 'chrome' accents(will DEFINITELY come off)
-aftermarket gauges(will be replaced with Revlimiter gauges of course)
-chrome gauge rings(will be removed)
-aftermarket alarm(will be staying)
-Harddog Single hoop roll bar(it MAY stay or get replaced with another roll bar)
-'custom' wind screen(will be removed)
-'custom' speakers mounted on the roll bar(will be removed)

Suspension:
-KYB Accel-G struts w/ lowering springs(will be replaced with coilovers)
-Racing Beat front sway bar w/ brace(will probably be staying unless it isn't the tubular sway)

Engine:
-m45(will probably stay)
-DDM(?) intake box(will probably stay)
-Track Dog Racing intercooler kit(will stay as long as it stays FI)
-Track Dog Racing crank overlay(will stay if m45 stays)
-Track Dog Racing header blanket(will probably be replaced with another one)
-aftermarket header of unknown brand(probably stay)
-Track Dog Racing oil psi kit(fixed or replaced)
-hood struts(staying)
-non-adjustable Power Card(will be replaced with a ms3 more than likely)
-Racing Beat Power Pulse Twin Tip muffler(probably replaced with a RB dual outlet)

Transmission:
-aftermarket clutch of unknown brand(replaced in time)
Chassis:
-stock(that will change)

Overall I am very happy with the purchase. As usual I was looking at parts before I even picked up the NB2 but it seemed like I was just recreating Warbird that isn't something I want to do.

So I started thinking harder about the car at hand and I thought about the first time I heard that supercharger whine from the driver seat and it reminded me of a Formula 1 car. I am no means trying to compare it in overall terms but that sound....don't believe me just listen to a few F1 clips from YouTube and then some clips of m45/mp62 equipped Miata's and you will hear what I am talking about.

No sooner than I thought about that, I was looking on a Miata forums for sale section and there was a Sparco that looked like it came out of and or belonged in a F1 car and that is when I decided that a F1 inspired build would be pretty cool and allow me to use some of the aviation inspirations Warbird had while still being something 'entirely different'. On the other hand I am not a F1 enthusiast by far BUT they are the cutting edge of racing technology so what about them isn't worth emulating.

How far I will take this idea...I really can't say but I PLAN on the interior being more modest this time around and centered on being purposeful while still being aesthetically pleasing. My immediate plans are to remove all the items I don't care for, clean it up and do a tune up.

I am not sure where I will go from there. I definitely need to get a wideband to verify AFR's and will go ahead and get a boost gauge as well...these will probably be AEM analog units with custom Revlimiter faces.

I want to do 15x10 6UL wheels with 245 RS4's this time around since they will fit under the 'stock fenders' on a NB and I LOVED the 225 RS3's I used previously.

I think I will also give Meister R(I already know some of you that will talk trash about them but the shining UK reviews as me curious) the opportunity to provide some adjustable coilovers and see what I think in comparison to the FEAL 441 Road Race and milder Fat Cat Motorsports 2040 coilovers I had on Warbird.

I also hope/want/plan to do some aero that is both purposeful/functional and some that will be mostly for aesthetics but with a purposeful/functional look, lol.
Really glad to be back in a roadster and I know I can't find a better group of enthusiast then fellow Miata/MX5 owners! :icon_cheers:

See less See more
#12 ·
re: The 'I told you I'd be back' build of Misfire, my NB2 with F1 inspirationiration

WELCOME BACK! Get rid of those exhaust tips. Damn.
Thanks! :icon_cheers: Hey I like the twin tips! :smile1:

I probably look pretty green right now. Gorgeous color and forced induction to boot. Can't wait to see this car brought to the proper glory it deserves.
Thank you Jake! :haiguyths:

Yup, that didn't take long. Glad to see you are back in a proper car.

I actually kind of like the shotgun exhaust tips. Haven't seen those on another NB. As for your airbox, it is a DDM unit (had one on mine when I bought it). It does tend to muffle the whine somewhat, I didn't know any differently until I swapped out to the MP62 in mine. Then it became very noticeable.
Thank you Mike! :) I like the muffler as well. :rice: The m45 is audible but not sure how much so to those outside the car. It looks as though they had a Randall cowl intake going to the DDM box as there a hole in the DDM box towards the firewall and then a oval shaped cut out in the firewall/cowl.

NB2 Squad! subd!
Thank you kindly!:icon_cheers:

MiataPalooza 2017 presents "The Miata Formally Known as Warbird"
Thanks for the pic Rene! :mrgreen: I think Robert is going to turn the 97M into a very cool roadster of his own.

#4 ·
re: The 'I told you I'd be back' build of Misfire, my NB2 with F1 inspirationiration

Yup, that didn't take long. Glad to see you are back in a proper car.

I actually kind of like the shotgun exhaust tips. Haven't seen those on another NB. As for your airbox, it is a DDM unit (had one on mine when I bought it). It does tend to muffle the whine somewhat, I didn't know any differently until I swapped out to the MP62 in mine. Then it became very noticeable.

#9 ·

Gross on the Meister R's, you can buy the same shocks at walmart.com.
Thought it was Alibaba? XD

Some good reading here.

#8 ·

Glad to see the triumphant return!

#10 ·

so you parted out and then got rid of your immaculate NA because you needed funds, then picked a Mustang and now you have NB? I don't get it.

#11 ·

I may get some....uh hum...Xida's IF I find a good deal on a used set or new from a individual. This is one product I don't care to buy new directly from 949 Racing, for my own personal reasons I'd rather not get into. Don't get me wrong I have bought parts from them and will buy more...just not the Xida's.
I'll gladly buy you a set. Standard 10% finders fee applies. Let me know where to ship and I will send a bill.

#14 ·

04-09-17:On the way back from work today I noticed a 'miss' while accelerating. Now this wasn't the first time I noticed it, on the highway at 70+mph it was there too. I figured it was the 'new spark plugs' the dealer said they put and I had no doubt they were no the proper plugs given its forced induction setup.

This time it was much more evident and got worse the last 0.5 mile or so before I arrived back home. I was fairly confident the plugs were to blame as it reminded me of an issue I had with my '04 SRT4 when a plug was going.

So instead of checking the fault codes with the obdII dongle and Torque app I just went ahead and found out what plugs I needed from Track Dog Racing's site, which were NGK V Power #BKR6E that are a one step colder plug and they recommended 0.033'' as a starting point for forced induction setup.

Picked up at set from a local auto parts store along with some dielectric grease since I wasn't sure if I still had any.

Pulled the old/new plugs and sure enough the dealer did indeed change them but just as I suspected they were oem NGK plugs #BKR5E gapped at 0.04''.

I'm no expert in reading plugs but from what I read the discoloration on the strap near the weld means the plug is 'too hot', which is exactly what I figured.

I gapped the new NGK BKR6E plugs at 0.033'' per Track Dog Racing's online recommendation, put some anti seize on the threads and some dielectric on the tip and installed them and torqued them to 17 ft/lbs. Cleaned up the dirty plug wires while I was there.

After taking the last pic I started thinking that I may just have something to 'spruce' up the engine bay. So I went into the garage and sure enough look what was in its original box left over from Warbird...

...a Project G Precision Series 1.1 oil cap!

I decided to go ahead and check the fault codes with the Bluetooth obdII dongle and Torque app and sure enough the most recent fault code was a misfire for cylinder #2. It had three others....one was for a o2 sensor...the heating circuit and the other two...well I can't recall.

Took her for a spin and sure enough the 'miss' was gone under all conditions/speeds! Thank goodness it was a easy fix! With just a little more day light and went ahead and uncluttered the roll bar...

....look how much that junk weighed...

...about 10lbs!!

Till next time 'boys and girls'! :)

#27 ·

sub'd! horray!
Thanks for the support, Ben! :icon_cheers:

Welcome back, subd.
Thank you Ryan! :haiguyths:

Roll bar needs more pink.
Hey are you some kind of mind reader? :claugh:

Roll bar looks much cleaner now. I like it. So, what's next?
Get it running again:suicide: ,currently working on a misfire that I THINK is a/the coil packs. We will see if that is the issue as FedEx delivered my new ones today. If not hopefully the cam or crank sensor that Pat aka patsmx5 so graciously loaned me for diagnostic purposes takes care of it. This build will be more of a endurance race than anything.;)

Reading this feels like the NB version of my car. The m45 is really nice because like you described, it feels quick enough to enjoy but never enough to really get you in trouble. The intercooler and other little bits are neat. I wish my car came with suspension and roll bar stuffs. So exciting!

I had a similar miss when I bought my car, and I went to BKR7Es and it perked up immediately, not sure what set you're going to. Just a suggestion!

I'm excited to see you get another awesome setup and at least you have a nice platform to start on!
Thank you Lindsey! :mrgreen: Don't get me wrong I would have loved a mp62 but I will take the m45 gladly over stock power. I used the bkr6e's, will check on them occasionally to see what they look like. Gary at Track Dog Racing confirmed that with the stock sc pulley and TDR crank overlay it should make 8-9psi, I'm figuring 8psi, so hopefully the 6s will suffice.

#19 ·

Reading this feels like the NB version of my car. The m45 is really nice because like you described, it feels quick enough to enjoy but never enough to really get you in trouble. The intercooler and other little bits are neat. I wish my car came with suspension and roll bar stuffs. So exciting!

I had a similar miss when I bought my car, and I went to BKR7Es and it perked up immediately, not sure what set you're going to. Just a suggestion!

I'm excited to see you get another awesome setup and at least you have a nice platform to start on!

#28 · (Edited)

Nice! You should look at some GT3/Porsche inspiration too (my 2 cents) since there's overlap with F1 as well.
Thanks Collin! :) Not a bad idea.

i totally understand Chad. I'm always glad to have you back and you're one of the very few i want to stay. Nice score on the second gen. I normally don't like NB's but i know not only will you maintain it and not neglect it but i know you'll make it purdy with tastefulness. :hello kitty:
Thanks, Jameson, I really appreciate That! :hello kitty:

You missed the best interior mod:

Eclipse Vents
Dope! :suicide: I could have swore I listed them...good eye Connor! :D

Do you need another diffuser? ;)

-Henry
I certainly will, Henry! : 3gears: When will your street rear diffuser be ready? :dunno:

But I also don't hear any F1 type sounds. M45 Miata sounds like......a supercharged Miata.
Well that's what I thought of, obviously not identical by any means.... :smile1: ....but just listen to these two as a comparison:

M45 miata

Formula 1 car(from 2001)

Again a SIMILARITY in sound in my opinion. :dunno: I guess it is the gearbox that makes that SIMILAR whine in the F1 car...again not exactly a F1 enthusiast.

YAY! Welcome back! NB2s untie!!!! ;)
Thanks Chris! :icon_cheers:

This post has been deleted
#30 ·

@atxsbigwalt: Thank you, Walter! :icon_cheers: Look forward to finally meeting up, hopefully sooner than later! :)

#31 ·

04-13-17: Well the NGK BKR6E plugs gapped at 0.033'' fixed the misfire issue for about a day. This time the misfire was so bad it threw it into limp mode, so I pulled the codes which was a P0340(cam sensor) and P0302(cylinder 2 misfire). After some research it seems that the cause could be coil packs, cam sensor, crank sensor or any combination of these.

Since the cylinder 2 misfire had appeared the most and is one of the cylinders with the coilpack directly on and the coilpacks had markings like they were from a salvage yard, I decided to try new coilpacks. I now throwing parts/money at a car to try and fix a car/problem isn't the smartest approach. Honestly if I had/have to replace all three then I count it as preventative maintenance.

Ordered a set of Beck/Arnley coilpacks from Rock Auto for about $82 shipped(had a 5% discount code so was $86) for a pair which was cheaper than one brand new coilpack from a Mazda specific parts supplier. I know how some feel about buying non-oem replacement parts but Beck/Arnley is a well known parts manufacturer. We will see if this was a wise choice.

Received the coilpacks just four days from ordering them....

...you can see the markings I was referring too on the old ones...

....the new Back/Arnley coilpacks installed.

Started it up and it didn't sound right and quickly found a vacuum line coming of the intake manifold was broke, I think I leaned on it, so after fixing that it sounded fine, yay! My enthusiasm faded quickly as I could tell when pulling out of the drive way that the issue was still present and I only went maybe 50ft before trying to turn around and it died twice before getting it back in my driveway. Well that sucks.

I had previously read on another thread about another enthusiast(Cameron) with a FFS equipped NB with a similar issue but his turned out to be frayed wires(making contact with a belt/tensioner) but I checked mine and while the plastic wire loom had a place where it was damaged, the wires look to be fine.

After ordering the coilpacks I was 'thinking out loud' via email with Pat aka patsmx5 and he was kind enough to offer a spare cam and crank sensor for diagnostic purposes. Within 45 minutes of him offering he had a tracking number for me! People like Pat is why this community is so great. So those should be here by tomorrow but I won't be able to get to trying each out until Sunday. I REALLY hope it is the cam sensor(it did have a code for it after all) since it is one bolt and takes a few minutes to swap since it is on top of the valve cover(99-00 on the front, 01-05 on the rear).

I also picked up a piece to match my Project G Precision Series oil cap....

....Project G Precision Series oil dipstick(currently out of production) intended for a broken oil dipstick. If you look at one of the pics above you will see mine is not broken, which is crazy because my last two Miata's it broke. So I will just have to get one that is already broken to use this beauty.

Thanks to Eli aka Hyper for selling/shipping it to me when he could have sold it locally at the MiataPalooza event but I had contacted him prior to the event but hadn't finalized everything so thanks again Eli! :icon_cheers:

#35 ·

YESSSS back in action again!
Thanks, Seeing! :icon_cheers:: 3gears:

Mustangs drool, Miatas rule!

Welcome back. Sweet pick up on the car. Very jelly on the supercharger.
True, true! :ibtl: Thanks, it is fun when it runs.:smile1:

No way, you're the one who beat me to this car lol. I test drove it a few times and was haggling the dealership (even though it was already a steal). Nice score man!
Please tell me you aren't the person that they told me was calling everyday and offering like $100 less than the asking?:lol: Don't feel too bad it has only ran 3 days in the last two weeks :suicide: ,chasing a misfire/idle issue. Found multiple vacuum leaks and think the maf is bad, which I have one that should be here today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.