ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 237 Posts

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a thread where you can post your ideas. I have lots of them, but don't have the time/cash to pull them off. I find myself talking about them to any developer/manufacturer/tuner that will listen. Maybe someone will step up to the plate an make 'em.

I'll start off with two ideas:

Multifunction Front Towhook Assembly
-Currently most cars have one aftermarket towhook on the front off to one side...first, put two towhooks on the front, one on each side.

Function/option 1: On these towhooks, make an allowance to add a license plate bracket. Make the bracket work in such a way that it can have the plate mounted left/right/center/top/bottom. People will then be able to mount front plates using the towhooks pretty much in any configuration that they please.

Function/option 2: Make an allowance on the towhooks for mounting bracket arms that extend out ~1-2 feet from the front of the car. Use these bracket arms as a mounting point for a full size front wing (F1/Pikes Peak style). Instant ability to gain 100lbs+ of adjustable downforce to the front of the car in clean air and in a position high enough that you don't have to worry about it getting ripped off (like a splitter) on the track. The wing/bracketry would be bolt-on (or use removeable pins), so it's easily removeable when the car is off the track.

Why it's awesome: It's both a hardcore track and a street option that allows for towhooks, tiedowns, adjustable front aero, and is reconfigurable for street function as a license plate holder. Done correctly, the pieces could be sold separately or as a kit by anyone who makes itp--multiple price points.

Radiator Fan Switch Kit for NA Miata

-How often do NA owners actually use the "headlight up" button that's on their dash? The only time I ever used it was to wash the headlights.

-I propose that a little plug and play wiring kit be made that could be put into the back of the switch to change its function to a fan override switch.

Why it's awesome: It'd be a simple kit that would allow people to run their fans continuously during hot traffic days or during track sessions or cooldowns. I use mine all the time. Simple, cheap to make, could have high profit margin if sold to the right crowd.

·
Registered
605 Posts
An idea I've been kicking around for a while: a composite seat shell that's just the backrest section, no seat base. Design it to bolt onto the hinges of NA/NB factory seats. You retain the factory bottom section for comfort but make the upper section include shoulder wings and properly designed harness slots.

If you look at the design of Bride GIAS, Recaro CS, or Cobra Misano seats, it's technically feasible; that's exactly how those seats are constructed.

Maybe offer it as a full OEM seat refab service... replace the stock bottom foam with thinner memory foam, cut a sub belt slot.

I would say just make a Miata-specific racing seat but that's been done (Axis power racing used to make one).

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
How about a hardtop with a air scoop molded into the roof? anyone seen one of those around? I was considering grafting one onto my CF top from Chaser if I ever wanted to paint it.

·
SuperMOD
7,045 Posts
My brightest idea to this point in my life is Cereal Milk...
You soak various cereals in milk, and allow the milk to absorb the flavors, and then bottle up the delicious cereal-flavored milk.
It's a billion dollar idea for sure.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
You soak various cereals in milk, and allow the milk to absorb the flavors, and then bottle up the delicious cereal-flavored milk.
**** every kid thought of that idea, well I did at least :D

1st i'd buy would be coco-rice krispies, then applejacks

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
Not an original idea- but the Miata could use an extended bottom ball joint for the front suspension. This is to adjust the roll center higher for lowered cars. The S2000 has something just like that.

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Simple Active Aero via Mechanical inputs

-First you have to understand how control mixers work on airplanes (ie, flaperons, ruddervators, etc).

-Mount wing section(s) to car wherever appropriate for the active aero application...HOWEVER, the wing section(s) must be able to pivot on it's center of downforce and have another attachment point for a teleflex cable so the teleflex cable can pivot the wing easily while at speed...the teleflex cable should not bear any loads! The wing pivot/mounting point should bear the load, and the teleflex should easily be able to change the wings' angle of attack. Ensure that the teleflex attachment point allows for adjustability so that its actuation sensitivity can be adjusted.

-Run the teleflex cable to the brake pedal assembly, coming through the firewall and attaching to the pedal lever about midway up the stalk from the pedal (so it's out of the way)

-Zero out the downforce on the wing section(s) when the brake pedal is not applied. Now, when the brake pedal is used, it will also push in the teleflex cable--and thus push the control point on the wing also, changing it's angle of attack (downforce). The result is you get added downforce under braking.

Adding Control Mixers

By using a control mixer, you can have multiple actuators act on the teleflex cabling system to change wing angle--for example, you could connect a teleflex from the tie rods to the control mixer, setting it up so that the wing angle is also increased by steering input. The result is you get added downforce if you're turning.

Proper setup will get you an active aero application that gives adjustable downforce in both turning and braking conditions (or any combination of the two). The harder the braking or turning, the steeper the angle of attack the wing will have (more downforce)...yet on the straights, the wing will zero out minimizing drag.

All without electronics or motor actuators.

Possiblities are essentially endless. You could rig up rudders, aileron-style wings for lateral differential downforce, active canards, active splitters, whatever.

·
Taste cannot be bought.
3,032 Posts
This post belongs in the dope shizz thread.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Well I have some ideas made reality and that is pretty good.

I have an idea I need help with. If I can get my hands on two engine brace kits (the one with the heavy duty shocks mounted to the shock tower and exhaust engine mount) and relocate them to the bottom where the lowest tranny bolts are located with two brackets on each side. will the concept work or will be a waste of money?

The concept is for high horsepower miatas looking to have less engine flex when shifting gears without interefence in the engine bay. Please give me your opinion.

1 - 20 of 237 Posts