ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've decided to start a build thread for Jade. I picked her up last month after what seemed like a lengthy search for a low mileage NB. Finally settled on a 2003 Emerald Mica SE with only 46K miles. I never thought I would own a green car or tan interior let alone both. My last two cars have been blue/black (which I was very much pleased with). I was hesitant on it at first but it’s since grown on me. Plus after looking at what seemed like hundreds of Miata’s online I knew I was never going to find another one in this good of condition. It was a one owner, garage queen and although not up to my high standards cleanliness wise, it’s in perfect condition.

Background:
My first Miata was a 1990 base NA that I owned for a majority of my time in college. I did quite a bit of work to it and once I graduated and got a real job I decided it was time to part ways for something more grown up looking and professional. You may remember this car from if you were a site member a while back:

I then upgraded to a used 2006 MINI Cooper S. I always loved the MINI’s since they first came out in 2003 and once I saw the Italian Job I knew I was going to own one. It was a great car and I loved driving it. Unfortunately, like all newer BMW’s once things start to go bad, they go bad quick. Not to mention parts aren’t cheap and unlike the Miata, very difficult to DIY fix in a weekend. So after 4 years of motoring and with just under 90K miles on the clock, I reluctantly made the decision that I needed to move on.

Result:
The choice was simple. I need a cheap, reliable car that was easy for me to work on and most importantly fun to drive and modifiable. I also wanted something that would last me a long, long time. Since I was so familiar with my first Miata, I knew exactly what I was looking for. And here she is. I named her after obviously the green stone, and the other badass chick from Mortal Kombat that wasn't Kitana. I’ve already started the modifications and I hope this progresses quickly. Many Pictures will follow but his is the only picture I have of it stock taken next to Braineak’s car on day two:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And now for some real photos. Already have the roll bar installed, switched out the tan carpets to black and one of my favorite mods from my first Miata; Voodoo Shift Knob.

Ive also sourced a hardtop. Its flat black with all kinds of stickers on the inside. One of them is a CR.net sticker. Anyone recognize it? I'm still debating if I want to paint it gloss black or match the body color.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm embarrassed at the condition under the hood. I cant believe Ive owned it for 3 weeks and its still this dirty. Im only posting so I have reference to do a before and after.

Needs more THIS!:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some quick exterior shots, before it starts to change:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today installed the obligatory K&N. Didn't expect any power gains but it cleans up the engine bay a bit and adds some noise. Its just temporary until the turbo is mocked up anyway...

Also did a little wire tucking and cleaning. Still a lot left to do but its an improvement.

Also received this yesterday....

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, street basis. Figured I would give them a shot. I was originally going to go with the Advance but decided I didn't really need adjustable damping on a DD.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some progress over the long weekend. Suspension install was a success although it took more time then expected since I hit a few roadblocks. The bolts holding the sway bar end links to the swing arm were totally rusted shut. I was able to break them loose with a breaker bar but nothing more then that. After I broke them I couldn't even get them back tight to torque specs again. I figure I'll order up a set of thicker sways, adjustable end links and polyurethane bushings and cut the old ones out with a dremel.

I also found some new wheels in the classifieds. \(^_^)/ Squee!

·
Surgeon General
2,924 Posts
Woot!

The stock endlinks have always been a pain in the butt for me. I just got some Racing Beat ones, and they're WAY better built and mount up much nicer.

Got any pics of the car with the new suspension installed?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was just looking into the racing beat ones! I figured I would need to replace them ASAP since they are a little loose and would be banging around but so far no noises exept for the usual settling of the new suspension. I havent taken any pics of then new ride height yet, since I'm still waiting on the new wheels to arrive. If a photo opportunity presents itself then I might just take one.

·
Surgeon General
2,924 Posts
Yep, the Racing Bear ones are nice, but the ones with the heim joints are even nicer. They're a little more adjustable for preload and overall height. I just got the Racing Beat ones because I have a RB tubular bar :D

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've been thinking of doing endlinks. I just did coilovers but I haven't done sways or anything. I'm not sure what the benefits are of anything, so any insight can help.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
I've had heim joint endlinks. They rattle and squeak and are all around annoying to live with on a street-driven car. I upgraded to some RB endlinks a few years back and have been loving life.

Great build!!!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, Rev! It looks like RB is the way to go!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Current ride height. I may raise it up a bit when I get the new wheels mounted.

1 - 20 of 194 Posts