ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I've not taken an engine apart in the this amount before, its the only bit I've not needed to fix, so here go! Head first in the deep end so to speak :D

Being the informative type, here is progress 3 hours in.

No scares so far, everything going according to plan! Just at the point where I've taken the drive pulley off, and ready to actually have a look at the beastie.

Which is nice.

Ill keep posting more pics as I go, then fitting the new parts, and firing her up!

Filming the whole thing of course, so once thats editied, I'll post that too :D

·
Registered
441 Posts
hope it goes well and you get her back running soon, are you not selling it anymre?

·
3,857 Posts
Please post pictures :)
I asked my mechanic to change the front seals and now it's leaking again...I believe he damaged the area that the seals sits on, so I'm planning to fix it by myself...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hope it goes well and you get her back running soon, are you not selling it anymre?
I kind of fell in love with it again, and couldn't bring myself to sell it. They really are the best cars ever for fun.

I've filmed the entire thing, so hopefully that will be more use than pictures?!

·
3,857 Posts
WOW can I have a cd with the vid :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No problem ;)

Calling it a night now, most of the engine is back together, I've also ripped out the air con and all the pipes and radiator, which is also nice, and will put the pulleys and other crap back on when I can.

I really hope the timings on... :eek:

Should be ok though, I tippexed all the markers, so we will see. Not the end of the world however.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, she's back together, given 32 hours to set, and I started her up 20 mins ago.

Started perfect, smooth and everything, let it warm up, oil pressure all there and everything seems to be in place.

Took her out for a test drive (short), and she responded far better at the low end, but ultimately felt she had less power towards the top, although now she sounds like she has triple carbs :shock: However, the engine sounds fine at idle, and sounds fine when running too, so is this just a case of me needing the timing done?

With regards to the noise, I should explain I have an HKS intake, Arc magic pipe, stock manifold and a racing beat style back box on a de cat. It sounds the same, except it has that off beat 'grr' noise to it.

One thing I can think of: A weak valve cover bolt snapped on me, so I have 1 missing in the middle, which I will replace asap.

Another thing is that a kind of whine is there now, which sounds like an accessory belt, I've heard other MX5's do it, so whilst I am not worried, it didn't do it before. Is there a laymans method to getting the belt tensions correct? I have removed the A/C and refitted a shorter belt which has been in place for 6 months now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts