ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently I picked up a 1990 Mazda Miata 1.6l. It is currently stanced... But over the next few years I hope to transform it into a streetable track car. Below are some shots of how it sits today. I will post updates as I complete all my planned projects. The first line of business will be to remove and refresh the motor, it runs strong but is leaking from pretty much every gasket.

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
8,678 Posts
Strong first post... Not so sure about second. I'm always on the fence with diffusers.

Looking forward to this build.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Getting rid of those horrible wheels is hopefully first on your list. After that a roll bar and raising the car a little bit would add a lot to the trackability of the car.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wheels are a little further down the road. First on the list is getting all the leaks fixed, new timing belt and water pump. Then some fender flares and tires so I can lift it up to a drive-able height. Then a roll bar from Moti and some wheels. Honestly the roll bar and wheels are probably a few years down the road. This build is going to be on a very tight budget.

·
Big Pimpin'
8,505 Posts
Look for used roll bars on Craigslist. You can usually find them as much as $100+ cheaper than new (not including shipping). I picked up my Hard Dog Double Diag. for $400 back in the day and it retails for $505 + $75 or so in shipping costs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will be going over the car tonight with my camera and getting some good close up shots of it before. I am going to try and show all the damage/needed repairs so there will be a good comparison to when it is finished(if ever).

·
Registered
620 Posts
Glad to see this Miata will be going from fail to win.

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
8,678 Posts
I will be going over the car tonight with my camera and getting some good close up shots of it before. I am going to try and show all the damage/needed repairs so there will be a good comparison to when it is finished(if ever).
No car is ever finished... :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
As promised here are the pictures I took tonight of the car how it sits right now. I haven't really done anything to it yet except do a thorough inspection and order parts. The tail lights are removed right now for polishing.

Engine bay before anything has been done. The engine runs great but is leaking from every gasket. The clutch is completely worn out.

Oil leaking from the timing cover.

Engine bay before any work is performed

Car in my garage on the jack stands for the first time.

The body and paint are the reason I decided to buy this one. There is absolutely no rust on this chassis. It has a brand new factory soft top with all new seals and it has been garaged its entire life.

Oil leaking from everywhere. Coolant is also leaking from the water pump.

No ducting around the radiator.

No ducting around the radiator. Maybe this is why it was overheating on the drive back from Seattle to Portland.

Love the little aluminum sun visor block off plates.

The dash is in great shape. No cracks or scratches. Seats are ok.... They will be replaced soon enough.

Another shot of the seats. (carpet needs vacuumed as well)

Rear Flyin' Miata subframe brace has been drug so many times it is bent and cracked. The exhaust is cut off where it passes through the subframe brace. Belive it or not it doesn't sound too horrible like this. But it will be fixed as well.

The entire exhaust system has been pounded and ground flat.

The frame rails are completely destroyed. I am thinking about cutting them off and replacing them with some thick wall 1"x2" square tube.

The trunk is very clean with a fairly new Optima battery.

Rear end with the lights removed for buffing.

·
Registered
620 Posts
On the road to glory

·
Registered
182 Posts
It sure looks like a nice stance car from the pic! :) I hope your track project goes well but please don't scratch the car hahaha~

·
Registered
900 Posts
This was a great find. The body looks wonderfully clean. I agree with your priority being fixing the leaks.
I look forward to the rest of your project.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As far as tires go what are people running? I am thinking some 15x9s -15 with some 40mm fender flares. The only thing I've really been able to find is 225/45ZR15s but there aren't very many options in that size. I haven't spent much time on this issue yet. I'm just wondering what others are running. Thanks! And I also want to thank everybody for the positive comments thus far!

·
CSTG
3,229 Posts
If you've had your license plate in the nose like that for any period of time, that's probably why you're over heating. Granted your engines not in the best shape, but a properly running miata engine shouldn't over heat in NW weather. Although having AC doesn't help.

This is a perfect example of why slamming cars is retarded. It destroys them and offers nothing but looks of people who are actually disapproving of the car. I'm glad you're moving past the previous owners mistakes and improving this car.

As far as tires go, if you're really interested in tracking, you won't go past about 30 offset, 20-25 max. I run 25 myself, it really ruins the front end feel and turn-in feel on track. I wouldn't suggest it. Try a 15x8 wheel, it offers you a lot of SM take off tires for the track in a 205 width along with lots of street tires. But you can also run 224/45 tires when you've got the money for the NT-01 or RS-3 and really need those last few seconds. You'll sacrifice a little lap time with the 225s on 8s vs. 9s, but in my opinion it's completely worth the versatility.

·
I own Laz and you don't.
2,542 Posts
I concur with curly on all wheel/tire related comments. This isn't the Chris of Chris Daley photography who took this epic miata photo is it?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts