ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dear Roadster friends,

Many of you know I recently embarked on a project to restore a 1970 Datsun 240z. I was quick to discover that my CR.net friends are not only knowledgeable about all things Roadster-related, but there are more than a few with incredible knowledge about the 240z as well!

I was shown many pictures for inspiration and many CR.net member's previous vehicles (and, if I may be so bold as to say, they are beautiful vehicles and it is a shame they had to be sold).

One particularly beautiful specimen was also posted. It is this mysterious beauty:

Posted by WhiteEunos, (see post here: http://clubroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=64691&highlight=#64691)
Having just began my project, I did not yet know where to look. But patience, my friends, is a virtue.

Today, I went to Z Car Parts to pick up a valve cover gasket, thermostat and its housing and gaskets, and a few other odds and ends. I also took home a catalog on CD. Flipping through it page by page, what is it I see?

Can it be? Is it possible? As an added bonus, it was available like this from the factory? Incredible, to say the least! The car WhiteEunos posted was looks to be JDM, so I figured parts would be impossible to come by - perhaps it was a one-off custom job. It's a grainy picture, but I quickly jumped on CR.net to compare. And it sure looks similar. Now I had a part number and name (G-Nose)!

The sleuthing continues. Of course, at this point, we turn to Google! Lo and behold, the very same picture here: http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/240z-c-fairlady-withflairs-gnose.jpg.

And here is the nose uninstalled (from same website):

Thus, my internet friends, I humbly submit to you that the mysterious 240z is a G-Nose Datsun 240z (with flares and a few other goodies).

Perhaps one day my car will look like that as well...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Different strokes. . . I've never been a fan of the 240ZG (typically how the car is named) The G-nose was not offered factory-installed in the US. I'm just a purist, I guess, having been brought home from the hospital, 2 or 3 days old, in a 240z. However, the legendary Mr. K had a G-nose on his personal car--Remember the "Dream Garage" commercials for Nissan around 1996-1998? The yellow Z with the G-nose and wire wheels was Mr. K's personal car.

Don't personally have a Z right now, but will someday. My late father had been president of the Z Club of Ohio, so I have great memories and mementos of the Z. I have a shrine to the Z in my basement! I even have an original Datsun Competition Parts Catalogue down there from around 1973. If anyone wants to talk Zed, I'm there!

·
Registered
29 Posts
By the way, the G-nose was used in US road racing for a time. The Bob Sharp 240 that eventually went to IMSA racing became a G-nose for some time. IIRC, that same car went back to SCCA for use in the 80's by Scott Sharp (of IRL fame)--who won the Runoffs in 86 I think, and I believe a Mr. Katie Holmes drove it too. Pre-Days of Thunder, and very pre-couch jump. Yeah, Maverick himself got into road racing thru his buddy and co-star Paul Newman, who raced for Sharp.

BTW, no one has registered clubfairlady.net yet, I noticed. . .

·
CR.net Supporter
324 Posts
Violation - Did you find any other images of the car? I have an image of the front and rear angle, but surely there must be more, larger images on the net..

Edit: Also, the rear arch on that particular Z looks bigger than the ones that came on standard ZG's.

·
Registered
441 Posts
how much do i love these cars!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
damn. seriously, the amount of stuff you guys know is amazing!

WhiteEunos - I'm going to keep lookin. I was just very excited by what I've found so far. If I decide to keep the Z, I might go for that look...

·
CR.net Supporter
324 Posts
Cool, although I'm not convinced that that website had anything to do with that actual car. I imagine it's just linking to it as an example of a G nose. Though the car isn't a standard ZG colour, which only came in white, black, dark red and orangeey type...I think!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
i would go with the NO-gnose, and NO steel bumper frame, with that fat front lip, cause it just looks super agressive sorta like this but no black bumper beam thing http://www.piner.com/ep/pic12.jpg[img][/quote]
Im with you, I sold my gnose, and got chin spoiler.

I think a Z looks best with suspension, chin spoiler, and wide wheels.

I like centerline solid face in some crazy size/offset.

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
Paint looks to be Nissna Silver Moss too.....which adds to the hotness.

Anyone here looked at Vildini Motorsports SR'd 240Z?

·
CR.net Supporter
324 Posts
This is turning into an obsession....I dreamt about that car last night! I have found more pics. It was built by Mr Miyahara of Garage Mira in Japan but it seems his website link is down and most people are struggling to find more images and info.

Engine bay, undercarriage and a sad little gif:

·
Banned
437 Posts
Before I started on my 1st Roadster project (Black NA), I had a '73 240z 4 spd in White. Was researching at the time to either rebuild the L28 with some 280z parts and go all motor with carbs or drop in a SR20 (full rebuild) and go all new school parts, etc. Funds was tight at the time and I sold it regretably. Then when money was good I started with the Miata project. Anyways, heres a few pictures that I can share from my 240z folder. Got more, but don't have enuff time to upload. Enjoy!

*At the present time, I'm still debating between picking up another Roadster and go all out or build a 240z with a RB26 (maybe single thumpin turbo for mad top end power or go twin). We'll see...

Pictures I took of one at the last JCCS...luv what this owner has done...staying true to the OG JDM style...

Others I have in my 240z folder:

Tod Kaneko's...

Vildini's...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts