ClubRoadster.net banner

3261 - 3280 of 3310 Posts

·
Murse Magnet
7,330 Posts

·
Murse Magnet
7,330 Posts
For sure my guy. I’m surprised we haven’t yet, I’m here fairly often.
Keep me posted next time you are in town.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Do we really think the US can support two F1 races? I've been to Austin every year and just either last year or the year before there was doubt if the race would even go on because of a possible loss of funding.

I don't know Miami well enough to comment on the layout, haven't been there in years, but I generally don't like spectating on road courses. I have heard that Singapore is great in person, but I generally find them pretty annoying to try to watch. You're mainly in one place, can only see one tiny segment of the track, access to centralized concessions and events may be difficult.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,111 Posts
Do we really think the US can support two F1 races? I've been to Austin every year and just either last year or the year before there was doubt if the race would even go on because of a possible loss of funding.

I don't know Miami well enough to comment on the layout, haven't been there in years, but I generally don't like spectating on road courses. I have heard that Singapore is great in person, but I generally find them pretty annoying to try to watch. You're mainly in one place, can only see one tiny segment of the track, access to centralized concessions and events may be difficult.
Good questions. I have yet to go to my first F1 race, so my excitement of watching a street course race is always predicated on the fact that I'm not actually there to watch it. Then again, now that there may be a race in my time zone, I might have to see if my cousins and uncles (the same ones who got to meet Lewis Hamilton a couple years ago) are going to go.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Yeah but if you and others never made the effort for Austin...

Austin and Miami are pretty much the exact same flight time from you.

Maybe Miami would get more South Americans, but Austin already pulls in a ton from south of the border and I've been really worried about how the Mexico race is going to start effecting that attendance.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,111 Posts
Yeah but if you and others never made the effort for Austin...

Austin and Miami are pretty much the exact same flight time from you.
Fair criticism (at least in my case). I've never even dreamed of going to the Canadian GP because it'd require me getting my passport updated :lol:

·
1000% Jake
4,524 Posts
I miss when McLaren were competitive.

A race in Miami will kill Austin and it's barely hanging on as it is. What with the halo and this nonsense I think it's time to go over to the head museum and get Bernie back.

He had stupid ideas, too, but somehow always managed to talk himself out of them, or he would try them and quickly back down.

A race in New Jersey actually made more sense.

·
1000% Jake
4,524 Posts
Holy crap Montreal was boring. I'll never attend another race.
That's encouraging.

I went to Austin during the v8 era and watched a processional race where my least favorite driver of all time (Seb) took the win and somehow I still managed to have fun.

But I haven't watched the race yet. Don't spoiler it, ya hear? Although apparently it was boring, so...

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I think racing in person is always going to be super dull, at least for me.

The V6T are much louder than I expected. The Merc factory cars especially. Kimi sounded totally different accelerating than Vettel, to the point where Kimi's car sounded like a B-series Honda hitting VTEC with its sharp shift in tone/volume.

·
1000% Jake
4,524 Posts
The turbo cars are all about the intake noise. You don't really get it on the television.

Did I post raw audio from Austin?

I honestly love the turbo era. The cars became harder to drive and that was a good thing. People complaining about Mercedes' dominance must have short memories. I remember a time not too long ago when a certain German neckbeard would lead the race from start to finish. There's still more passing even though they fucked up the formula the past couple of years.

Like it or not, complexity and the attendant unreliability bring drama in a way it didn't in the naturally aspirated era. Let's also think about the amazing efficiency modern cars can achieve.

Yes, F1 is a nerd fest. Maybe that's why it struggles over here.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I love F1, because I'm a dork. The engineering, the fighting for every last millisecond of advantage within the rules, etc., this is proven by the peak of my season being the weeks of new car releases & pre-season testing. I watch the races on TV, patiently hoping for someone to make a brilliant strategy move on tires. Do I love those rare, rare moments where Lewis/Ric/etc., pulls an epic drive & somehow elevates an incompetent car to a winning level? More than anything. But the dorkery is what keeps me loyal.

But yeah, most Americans will never dig that. They want concussions every 15 seconds.

3261 - 3280 of 3310 Posts