ClubRoadster.net banner

11081 - 11100 of 11148 Posts

·
Mufasa in Training
31,678 Posts
Musing over camera lenses to shoot at my son's hockey games. At the moment, I can't go to ice level, so I'm shooting from the stands. I find after shooting with my 18-55mm kit lens (D3100) that I do occasionally like shooting at 18-24mm wide to get context and would like to get a little closer occasionally than the 55mm the kit lens is capable of. Thus, lenses like the 55-200mm and 70-300mm seem to be non-starters to me. I like the idea of the 18-200 because it's supposed to be pretty awesome, but the zoom creep seems to be a constant complaint with it. I'm considering the 18-140mm mostly because a.) as a kit lens for the more modern DLSR's, it's cheap and b.) it seems the lens doesn't tend to expand/collapse under its own weight as much as the 18-200. My only two other lenses are the 18-55 kit and a 35mm f/1.8. Budget is pretty small here, especially because I really don't shoot hardly at all any more, and I've already spent a month trying to even talking myself into buying a lens, much less deciding which one.

Also curious about the 18-105 as well because it's even cheaper while still being a Nikon lens.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
How often do you find yourself pining for more than 55mm? If I were you and not really using the camera all that often, the 18-55 seems plenty given what you've said.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,678 Posts
How often do you find yourself pining for more than 55mm? If I were you and not really using the camera all that often, the 18-55 seems plenty given what you've said.
From where I'll be sitting, all the time.

This was as close as I could zoom in:

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Stuff you're not focused on goes out of focus. You're going to want to find whatever camera setting allows you to pick a focus point for your AF to target, then always try to have that point where you're focusing (your kid's face basically). Judging by that picture, I'm guessing you either missed the focus a bit (I do this all of the time) or your shutter was a little slow for how fast they're moving. With the depth of what's in focus though I can tell you're using a pretty closed aperture, I'd definitely recommend opening it up as much as you can on that lens to speed up your shutter a bit.

If you have a mac you can play with basic exposure settings to brighten them back up after you put them on your computer. Not sure about on windows.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
That's fair, I forgot that they are at like 5.6+ when they're at 55mm.

Here is a picture I took the other day. I'm a bit annoyed that it's a little tilted but oh well. I like it still. I didn't realize I could fix that in instagram so it got posted a little sideways. I'm not willing to pay for any fancy stuff like lightroom still.

3M6A2255 copy (1) by Eric Prescott, on Flickr

I had never considered how hard it would be to get two things to stand straight on a natural surface before. Even on a flat rock it's still uneven enough to make it a headache.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Yeah, the whole thing was a bit out. I kept missing my focus for some reason but I was able to save it a bit. The light was getting very low so I wasn't shooting in great conditions. That was after sunset and in the woods. I was at f2.5, 1/50, iso 1000. It works fine on facebook and instagram though, which is really all I needed it for.

I wish it was a bit warmer so I could do some more. It was 7* when I left home this morning, so I won't be doing much outside for a little while.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
That's what I was going for, I just think I was having issues due to low light and hand holding the camera with a low shutter speed etc. I messed around inside after seeing the issues with most of the shots and everything worked fine then.

It's also an issue with getting things to sit level, like I mentioned I wasn't able to place things where I wanted to so the balm was farther back than I wanted it. Combine being in a rush due to fast fading light and being super cold.. lol. It's good enough for what I needed it for at least

·
Mufasa in Training
31,678 Posts
I think so. My only real worries (besides the lack of vibration reduction--Tamron calls it Vibration Compensation) is that the focus motor is kind of loud and that it's a full-frame lens.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't worry about the sound. 28-70 full frame lens is going to be like 40-95ish on a crop body iirc.

That may be a little narrower view than you seek at the wide end.

11081 - 11100 of 11148 Posts