11101 - 11120 of 11166 Posts

·
Resident BMW Apologist
2,789 Posts
How about this one?

·
Mufasa in Training
32,320 Posts
28-70 full frame lens is going to be like 40-95ish on a crop body iirc.

That may be a little narrower view than you seek at the wide end.
That's what worries me. I'm on a Nikon (1.5x) crop.
Lack of image stabilization might be an issue. The noise, though? Your primary point of use will be an arena. C'mon Bryan.
For the arena, the noise isn't a problem, really. Everywhere else it might be.

Still haven't made up my mind yet.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,320 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts

·
Mufasa in Training
32,320 Posts
Dang it...I keep finding Tamron and Sigma 24-70 f/2.8's for <$500...

·
Mufasa in Training
32,320 Posts
I'm back to looking at that Tamron 28-75. Fixed 2.8 is hard to pass up. Honestly I'd have to go with a full frame lens to get the classic 24-70 f/2.8, so it's no big loss here. The only REAL problem is the lack of VR, which most people have said hasn't been a huge problem.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,320 Posts
What is wrong with using a full frame lens in your use case?
In the case of the 85mm f/1.8 I used a few years ago, absolutely nothing. I freaking LOVED that focal length.

In this case (where I honestly would like to have some wider shots), knowing that 28mm is really more like 42mm is a little disappointing. On the other hand, 75mm effectively being 112mm is exciting for subject isolation.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Tamron calls it Vibration Compensation
I read that as Vibration Companion and you don't need me to tell you what that made me think of.

EDIT: Felt bad bumping a thread without adding content so here you go:
I shot most of a 36 exp. roll of Kodak Ektachrome. Though it says I need to process it before February. There are two problems with that:
1. I still have a couple shots and I have no location worth them
2. That February it's referring to is February 1990. Yup.
Luckily, the only thing that you have to worry about when shooting expired film is it loses ISO, apparently one step per decade. That's three steps. Wow.
So, I just needed to set my camera up accordingly! Cool! Except I couldn't, because it has auto ISO! Not cool!

I have no idea what to expect from it. I mean, sure, the internet says there's no problem, but I still have some trouble accepting that. Hell, no one here has a car older than that film.
You guys ever shot expired film? Ever this expired?

·
Mufasa in Training
32,320 Posts
I'm warming up to the idea of going for a 55-200, 55-300, or 70-300. Trying to get a fixed-aperture tele lens is just not in the cards, I think. I'm pretty torn, but I'm also trying to think about the fact that one day, he'll play on full ice, and I'll be wishing I had something longer...

·
Mufasa in Training
32,320 Posts
Still digging...70-200's are available from Sigma and Tamron for <$500. Another one I hadn't expected to exist: the Sigma 50-150 f2.8. Either way, f2.8 or better is pretty much a requirement.

Took some pics that the boy's game today (which they won :D). Best pics were with my 35mm f1.8. Several of these were cropped.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,320 Posts
I have spent money. $350 shipped for this bad boy--and it's even the OS (image stabilized) version. Should be here this week!

·
Mufasa in Training
32,320 Posts
I hope so! Should get a chance to try it out at practice on Thursday!

11101 - 11120 of 11166 Posts