ClubRoadster.net banner

11121 - 11140 of 11155 Posts

·
Mufasa in Training
31,847 Posts
Lens made it here. Holy cow...I can't believe I got this thing for only $350 shipped.

Took these two shots in bad light with the OS turned off. I'm sure if I tried harder, these would look better.

Taking it for a spin tomorrow at practice.

One thing that's going to take some getting used to...this lens is HUGE and heavy compared to my other two.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Some good stuff in there!

Are you using the auto white balance feature? I see it is inconsistent. In some of the pictures it looks good, in others it misses the mark. You should look into how to set the WB manually and do that in the lighting of the rink before you start. I think that'll make a big difference for you. It'll be good because the lighting in there should be very consistent, so you should be able to set it there each time and forget it.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,847 Posts
Yeah...I need to get a white card or something. It's something I always forget to do. Also need to buy a bag capable of handling my camera with the 50-150 mounted. Carrying a separate bag for it and one for everything else is stupid.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
A good bag is a great thing to have. I have two, both bookbag style. I take my camera pretty much everywhere.

You literally just need anything white. You can use any piece of paper, a piece of your kid's gear, maybe even a clean spot on the boards or something. I've had to get pretty creative in the past but there's usually something you can use.

Worst case you can adjust it later. Lightroom mobile is free. It's a bit cumbersome to have to put images on the phone and then adjust that way but you can fix little stuff like that pretty easy.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,847 Posts
For what? We're just saying set the cameras white balance so it isn't trying to figure it out on its own with different factors each shot
There are filters like Expodisc you use to help pre-set the WB. The Expodisc is pretty pricey, so I was hoping to find something cheaper.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,847 Posts
New photos. Tried out a translucent lid from my kids' snack dishes to help set WB. It's a little warm, but at least these pics (all straight from the camera) look like they were taken in the same place, lol

·
Mufasa in Training
31,847 Posts
I'm not clear on how you're using the lid lol, but they definitely look much improved. You're doin great.
Most cameras allow you to set WB based on a single photo, so what I do is to put the lens on Manual focus, hold the cap over the front of the lens, point the camera at the lights, and snap a picture. I then use that photo as the value for the Preset WB.

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
8,098 Posts
Can’t you just snap a few pics, look at them in camera, and tell what WB matches what you see in real life? My cheap old Canon only has a handful of options for setting WB so it was pretty easy to get right.

11121 - 11140 of 11155 Posts