ClubRoadster.net banner

11141 - 11155 of 11155 Posts

·
Mufasa in Training
31,846 Posts
But it's a transparent lid? Usually you take a picture of something that is white. I don't even carry anything with me but pretty much any piece of paper should work.
It's translucent white. I actually tried using an actual white cap and didn't like the results.
Lol @ you guys acting like Bryan isn't going to make something unnecessarily complicated every single time he has a chance to
It's not that complicated. Didn't cost me anything, either. I've never been good at setting WB in the camera. Constant fiddling and I'm never happy with the result. This worked. Real test will be the other rink (which has much weirder lighting) that he plays games in.

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
8,087 Posts
He looks really sharp and clear in the photo but it feels dark. I’d probably kill the highlights on his stick (since it almost appears to glow), bring up the shadows, maybe the mids, or maybe just overall brightness. I think trying to keep the saturation and brightness in check with true color is probably hard with that palette.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,846 Posts
He looks really sharp and clear in the photo but it feels dark. I’d probably kill the highlights on his stick (since it almost appears to glow), bring up the shadows, maybe the mids, or maybe just overall brightness. I think trying to keep the saturation and brightness in check with true color is probably hard with that palette.
Thank you for the tips! I had only adjusted the entire photo instead of individual parts of it.

Here's some quick work trying to lower saturation on the stick, exposure adjustment, upping shadows and white point. Took me about 10min:

·
Mufasa in Training
31,846 Posts
Nice work. I feel like that’s a lot more lifelike and a bit less dramatized. Much closer to what you’d see with the naked eye.
Thank you! Admittedly, I'd forgotten how much I enjoy doing this kind of stuff. Suddenly feeling a lot more creative than I have in a while!

·
Mufasa in Training
31,846 Posts
Started shooting RAW so I could make easy edits/rotations/crops. Raw Therapee has a wide learning curve, so basically, these suck.

This one is a little noisy, but I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

This kid is probably the best skater in my son's entire program. One of the coaches' kid, so it figures. He's about twice as good as me, lol

Speaking of right place at the right time...

I like when I can get busy action shots like this:

I LOVE this thing as portrait lens:

I like that it can even get a shot like this just when I whip the camera to my face and snap. Subject isolation is so underrated...

·
Mufasa in Training
31,846 Posts
Much like her daddy, my daughter is best photographed before she has time to react. We haz awkward photo smiles.

I got this one by simply calling her name, focus, and snap before she could even smile. Pretty happy with how it came out. Added some color, sharpening, and exposure compensation in post.

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
8,087 Posts
I feel like the arc of the fence following the roofline of the car messes with my head. You did really nice getting the driver in focus. Great pan. It’s kinda weird because I’m used to seeing panning shots on track where I’d suggest some radial blur on the wheels... but I don’t think she should appear to be speed racer.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,846 Posts
I feel like the arc of the fence following the roofline of the car messes with my head. You did really nice getting the driver in focus. Great pan. It’s kinda weird because I’m used to seeing panning shots on track where I’d suggest some radial blur on the wheels... but I don’t think she should appear to be speed racer.
Thank you!

Admittedly, the fence was just the spot directly across from where I happened to be standing. I hadn't really thought about it until I saw this picture, lol. My main trick was to get the car nicely in focus and still get some motion blur. I'm surprised I really got any at 1/160th though I really shouldn't be because about 1/250th is at least what is necessary to get a hockey player frozen in mid-stride.

Another pic from about the same time today:

11141 - 11155 of 11155 Posts