ClubRoadster.net banner

11161 - 11180 of 11199 Posts

·
I have all the correct opinions.
10,368 Posts
Not particularly high quality (iPhone 11 while waking dogs), but so cool and very... Phoenix.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,181 Posts
The community my in-laws live in has lots of deer and zebras roaming the grounds. My MiL took some of the kids (and me with my D3100/50-150) out on a golf cart to go check them out. These were the highlights.

Also: these were all shot at f/2.8. The Sigma 50-150 isn't a miracle machine, but it's a dang good lens!

·
100% Jakedashian
7,733 Posts
Snapshot of the 330. I had this nasty habit until now of shooting at the widest aperture I felt feasible and chasing that dank shallow DOF... recently realized how much nicer it looks when the whole stinking car is in focus and am excited to start shooting at a narrower aperture. This is just a snapshot obviously. Car to be lookin good tho.

So was my buddy's 911

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
only uploaded the butchered versions of these pictures. milwaukee is not a photogenic place but this spot was okay.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,181 Posts
That shot highlights the S2000's unequal wheel well heights. Just like the E36.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,181 Posts
I'm trying to talk myself out of this bundle. While I don't care about the new version of the 18-55 kit lens, I was considering grabbing a 70-300 to fill that vacancy in my lens collection.

Most importantly, the D3500 is, with two exceptions, a surprisingly large upgrade on my existing D3100. Check the comparison!

Thoughts?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Snapshot of the 330. I had this nasty habit until now of shooting at the widest aperture I felt feasible and chasing that dank shallow DOF... recently realized how much nicer it looks when the whole stinking car is in focus and am excited to start shooting at a narrower aperture. This is just a snapshot obviously. Car to be lookin good tho.
View attachment 150230

So was my buddy's 911

View attachment 150231

Nice pictures. I'm a fan of Porsche 911.

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
9,575 Posts
Bryan I feel like the advantages are minimal but so is the cost. If I was upgrading, which I’m not because I never shoot, I’d want something a bit more weather resistant. I also live where it rains a lot and like playing in the snow. What draws you to this ad? Would having 2 bodies allow your wife or kids to shoot with you?

·
Mufasa in Training
33,181 Posts
Bryan I feel like the advantages are minimal but so is the cost. If I was upgrading, which I’m not because I never shoot, I’d want something a bit more weather resistant. I also live where it rains a lot and like playing in the snow. What draws you to this ad? Would having 2 bodies allow your wife or kids to shoot with you?
The main draws would be:

1.) 8x Higher max ISO (which I would presume means better quality shots at lower settings)
2.) Almost 50% higher resolution
3.) Almost 1/3 lighter (D3100 is already extremely light for DSLR)
4.) I was already eyeballing a 70-300 of some sort
5.) Cost
6.) Bluetooth and Phone connectivity
7.) Body is at least 8 years newer

The drawbacks (non-upgrades) would be:

1.) Same max shutter speed
2.) Same number of focus points
3.) Same lack of weather sealing
4.) Same lack of AE bracketing capability

If I got it, I'd hand off the D3100 to my son, who took this masterpiece:

·
Mufasa in Training
33,181 Posts
FWIW, weather resistance isn't really a big deal at the rink. The air is surprisingly dry considering you're standing next to a sheet of ice. High ISO performance is a big deal because lighting at pretty much anything outside of a college/pro rink is freaking turrble. While my boy plays at Miami (OH)'s arena, he plays games on the arena's backup rink, which isn't nearly as fancy (though the ice itself is well kept).

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Hey that's a great shot from your son. Encourage him to keep going.

I impulse buy things so I'm wondering why you haven't already pulled the trigger. Giving your kid the old one is awesome, y'all can go shoot together. I think that's worth the price of admission even without it being an upgrade.

Also, RE focus points: Meh. I upgraded to have more and really you can just pick a close one, focus, move your frame and shoot. I wasn't aware of this until I watched our wedding photographer doing it at our engagement shoot. Turn ~20 into infinity.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,181 Posts
Also, RE focus points: Meh. I upgraded to have more and really you can just pick a close one, focus, move your frame and shoot. I wasn't aware of this until I watched our wedding photographer doing it at our engagement shoot. Turn ~20 into infinity.
D3100 (and D3500) only have 11 focus points. It's not much. Makes framing a photo often a matter of focusing, shifting the camera, and hoping the target stayed in focus.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Yeah my original 5d has 9 I think, the mk3 has a ton. Usually end up focusing then framing anyway. Was kind of a waste of dollars for me, but I had fun buying it and I had shake shack that day so oh well

·
Mufasa in Training
33,181 Posts
I impulse buy things so I'm wondering why you haven't already pulled the trigger.
JR knows me a little better, because he hasn't made that point 😅

I generally don't buy anything I haven't thought about buying and looked at for at least a month, lol

Full disclosure, I have money I got for Christmas from my in-laws, so this wouldn't really cost me anything (other than not being able to spend gift money elsewhere). I just hate spending money because I immediately wish I'd have spent it on something else--which of course means I never spend it. To wit, I still have nearly half of the money they gave me last year, unspent.
Giving your kid the old one is awesome, y'all can go shoot together. I think that's worth the price of admission even without it being an upgrade.
It would be neat, but I don't know how often he'd actually do it. Then again, he loves Lego, and it might be his way into product photography...
Yeah my original 5d has 9 I think, the mk3 has a ton. Usually end up focusing then framing anyway. Was kind of a waste of dollars for me.
I would be fine, but normally more focus points tends to come with other benefits (D7000 series have 30+ focal points, for example, are weather sealed, have higher max shutter speed, and better high ISO performance than my D3100).

·
Resident BMW Apologist
3,024 Posts
I always just have the center point active. Point camera at subject, focus, recompose, shoot

11161 - 11180 of 11199 Posts