ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 1672 Posts

·
Murse Magnet
7,219 Posts
The purpose of this thread is to ask a miata or automotive related question and get a good answer. No more, no less.

Please, if you are asking a question, think it through and post as much relevant information as you can along with the question.

If you are answering a question, quote the original post so answers can easily be matched to the question.

This thread is meant to be a safe haven from trolling and will be monitored accordingly.

Troll Questions = 1 week ban
Troll Answers = 1 month ban

If you want to ask anything other than miata/automotive related questions please post them in the newest Random Thoughts thread which can be found in the pub.

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
Re: Ask a question, get an answer

I've boosted my Miata with an ebay kit (dumb I know) and it sounds like a diesel now. Can I run diesel fuel and have lots of torque? Did I convert my car on accident?
I'll bite just for the sake of this thread:

No, your car likely sounds like a diesel due to an exhaust leak. This may have nothing to do with the actual quality of your parts but in fact have something to do with the gaskets, lack there of, or amount of torque you used on the exhaust bolts/nuts. That beings said, it could also be uneven metal on the mating surfaces.

There are other issues that could cause a sound like this but since you just installed the turbo kit and it wasn't happening before, I would start there. If it remains after checking all the gaskets and torque amounts, report back and I'll tell you where to go from there.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Re: Ask a question, get an answer - Trolls will be banned.

I have a quick question: Has anybody connected a Innovate X.D16 gauge to a LC2 wideband? I seem to need a cable with a special connector to the lc2 which isn't even available in innovate's online shop.

This thread is great, I hope it works!

·
Alexander Supertramp
4,670 Posts

When replacing belts, does anyone actually use a belt tensioner gauge or do you do it by touch? I replaced my alternator belt a couple months ago and re-adjusted the accessories belt and noticed it whining (too tight) but was able to get the alternator belt just fine by touch. Latter belt has since been adjusted, but I was just curious...

·
Registered
826 Posts

When replacing belts, does anyone actually use a belt tensioner gauge or do you do it by touch? I replaced my alternator belt a couple months ago and re-adjusted the accessories belt and noticed it whining (too tight) but was able to get the alternator belt just fine by touch. Latter belt has since been adjusted, but I was just curious...
Professional technician here. I never use a gauge. I have one, took it out of the case once. I always do it by feel, crank the car up to make sure its not making noise and the belt isnt 'bouncing' around. The flex spec is like 1/2 inch over an foot of free belt or something like that to give you a measure though.

·
On Patrol
933 Posts

The Quality Control-approved method is to tighten it until you just barely can't twist the belt 180 degrees.

·
Registered
647 Posts
i recently swapped out the steering wheel (1.6 car) and now i want to removing the rest of the airbag stuff

under each front fender liner, there's a blue tube filled with wires. are both of these are purely airbag stuff, and would it be ok to pull them out?

also curious what the blue and orange connectors in the picture below are for, exactly

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
The crash sensors really depend on the year of your car. They gradually added more and more sensors (I think the 93 had the most) until doing away with them completely in favor of the single sensor in the brain of the NA8 airbag computer.

So, depending on which NA6 you have, you might not have too many sensors to remove.

·
Registered
647 Posts
The crash sensors really depend on the year of your car. They gradually added more and more sensors (I think the 93 had the most) until doing away with them completely in favor of the single sensor in the brain of the NA8 airbag computer.

So, depending on which NA6 you have, you might not have too many sensors to remove.
that...kind of sucks for me, bc mine's a 93. so far i only know of the one up front, one behind each fender, and the one by the steering column. is that the most that ever came on NA6's?

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
Would a stock MSM turbo system be worth purchasing and installing on a VVT engine tuned with a MS3? I have the opportunity to purchase a completely stock system, however I have no clue what kind of power it would put down, and if it would be worth the time and money.
No, it would not be worth the money unless it was an extremely good price. You would be much better off getting a Nissan t25 and building around that if you really wanted to go turbo.

If it were me, I would install the MS3 and see what that does for you. I know your car is pretty gutted so that may just give you the extra pep you're looking for

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Hmm.. I kind of suspected as much. It is a friend, so I could be getting the "Bro special" price. If I can get it in the $200-300 range, I may buy it from him, even if I don't install it immediately.

I don't have a MS3 right now, but that was the initial plan exactly. I already have a full exhaust and cold-side intake, so it would probably make a decent impact. Fuel economy increases with aftermarket ECUs doesn't it?

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
depends on the tune, really. With a good tune, you're optimizing fuel burn so as long as you don't have a lead foot then yes.

As for the turbo kit - if you can get the full kit with turbo, manifold, downpipe, intercooler, piping, and intake for that price, do it.

·
Lonely White Girl
5,739 Posts

·
Chinchilla Rancher
3,877 Posts
I've been looking into buying a fender roller recently and I know that Eastwood makes a really good one but I was curious if the cheaper rollers were any good? They appear to be the same in pictures but its hard to tell whether they're actually as good of quality as the Eastwood.

·
Super Moderator
2,471 Posts
I posted this in RT but wanted to cross post here as well.

Long story short, the PO of my NC stripped both of the screws holding the rotor to the hub on the drivers side. I stole one from the passenger side for now.

Do I need to replace the missing screws now so both sides have 2 or can I leave it with 1 on each side? I am unsure if they actually help center the rotor on the hub or if they are just there to keep it from falling of during brake maintenance.

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
I posted this in RT but wanted to cross post here as well.

Long story short, the PO of my NC stripped both of the screws holding the rotor to the hub on the drivers side. I stole one from the passenger side for now.

Do I need to replace the missing screws now so both sides have 2 or can I leave it with 1 on each side? I am unsure if they actually help center the rotor on the hub or if they are just there to keep it from falling of during brake maintenance.
Those screws are unneeded. They are only there for holding the rotor on while mounting the caliper. I have never reinstalled them once taking them out.

1 - 20 of 1672 Posts