ClubRoadster.net banner

1641 - 1660 of 1672 Posts

·
Administrator
15,200 Posts
It's plenty fast. Pretty much perfect, in my opinion. More power from there starts to cost a lot more, and comes with greater reliability concerns unless you spend a LOT more.

And once you get over the 300whp mark, the car just gets ultra stupid.

·
Registered
92 Posts
No faster than the driver in it
Lol you’re right that is true!

It's plenty fast. Pretty much perfect, in my opinion. More power from there starts to cost a lot more, and comes with greater reliability concerns unless you spend a LOT more.

And once you get over the 300whp mark, the car just gets ultra stupid.
Awesome! Yeah I’m not looking for 300whp in a car that light, unless I have a lot of money to blow (which I dont). You think maxing out at around 240whp (if I want that much) will cost a lot more than, say, 220whp or 230whp? I want reliable, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
15,200 Posts
Cost is dictated by torque and/or transmission. 240-250ftlbs to the wheels is about "the line" for the rods. That power will also PROBABLY be survived by a 5spd for street use. Will die in track use.

Want more than that or want to use that power level reliably on track? Gotta open up the motor and at least 6spd swap.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Cost is dictated by torque and/or transmission. 240-250ftlbs to the wheels is about "the line" for the rods. That power will also PROBABLY be survived by a 5spd for street use. Will die in track use.

Want more than that or want to use that power level reliably on track? Gotta open up the motor and at least 6spd swap.

Ahh I see so it sounds like staying at 230whp is ideal. I have the 5spd and am not looking to swap out the transmission at this time, nor opening up the engine. Looks like I’ll stay at 230whp max.

·
Administrator
15,200 Posts
Ahh I see so it sounds like staying at 230whp is ideal. I have the 5spd and am not looking to swap out the transmission at this time, nor opening up the engine. Looks like I’ll stay at 230whp max.

The "limits" i posted were ftlbs, not hp. ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
The "limits" i posted were ftlbs, not hp. ;)

OH! My bad...I just saw that! So that means if I’m at less than 240lbft and 230whp to 240whp I should be alright? What effects the torque in a turbo system...the size of the turbo? (yes I still have research to do).

·
Administrator
15,200 Posts
OH! My bad...I just saw that! So that means if I’m at less than 240lbft and 230whp to 240whp I should be alright? What effects the torque in a turbo system...the size of the turbo? (yes I still have research to do).

Turbo and/or tuning. It's pretty possible to make 300whp but still stay under the torque threshold, but i also somewhat doubt the 5spd would like it much anyways.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Turbo and/or tuning. It's pretty possible to make 300whp but still stay under the torque threshold, but i also somewhat doubt the 5spd would like it much anyways.

Oh okay thanks! I think if I shoot for around 240 to 250whp with maybe 210lbft or around there, maybe less, seems like a safe bet. I guess I won’t know till I try.

·
Administrator
15,200 Posts
Oh okay thanks! I think if I shoot for around 240 to 250whp with maybe 210lbft or around there, maybe less, seems like a safe bet. I guess I won’t know till I try.

Yep that sounds pretty safe. :)

Need a turbo kit? I have a complete setup that would do what you're looking for really well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yep that sounds pretty safe. :)

Need a turbo kit? I have a complete setup that would do what you're looking for really well.

I was actually thinking of picking one up from MKTurbo in about a year. Still saving up the money, and doing clutch/radiator in the meantime. What kind of kit do you have, out of curiosity?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have another question. This time a different one. So I've recently started hearing a ticking type of noise coming from my engine under heavy throttle (more than 1/2 throttle). I'm not sure what it is, but I've only recently started to notice it. The car sat for a couple months before this, so could it be old gas causing it? I use 93 octane and the engine has 73k miles on it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I can't see how "old" gas would cause that. Wish I could contribute more to your question. Im in West Chester, PA..literally right down the road from you so I wanted to post ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Anyone know the size or oem part # for this hose? It goes from the back of the intake manifold to i believe the brake booster in my 96. Is this the one with the check valve or can I just throw on a normal hose in its place?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Actually there is another brake booster hose that goes from the booster itself to the metal tube, which then goes to the hose you are pointing at. That one does have a check valve. The one you are pointing at does not.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
ah perfect just wanted to make sure. happen to know the hose size or part#? for some reason i'm not able to find an exact match at any autoparts store

1641 - 1660 of 1672 Posts