ClubRoadster.net banner
41 - 60 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Ah thanks man, that's cool to hear. I actually really want to teach astronomy of all things (given that I am an amateur astronomer in my free time) but it'd be tough convincing the district to fund an entirely new class. I'm thinking of a club of sorts for after school, and the principals I've talked to are on board with that, but it's just a matter of having the time to do so - and I'm not fooling myself, first year is gonna be tough on time.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Well I had a few setbacks with the roll bar and header I was intending to put in, but I still managed to get some odds and ends buttoned back up.

The roll bar turned out to be a bust, as my measurements indicated that it wouldn’t fit with the glass window soft top I have on the car. I thought about deleting the soft top, but I like the versatility of being able to raise it and I unfortunately don’t have a garage to house a topless Miata in.

The header almost fit, but I couldn’t get the bracket off of the transmission that held on the OEM header due to seized/rounded bolts and frustration. It was that dang one inch of space occupied by the bracket that prevented me from wrestling the header in, so I wound up selling it to a local guy for what I paid for it. Kind of a bummer knowing that I tackled the notorious cat bolts without a hitch but a random bracket was my Achilles heel, but I’ll be doing a supercharger the future anyways so I’m not worried over two horsepower.

Oh and on top of all this, my wheel bearings, ball joint, and misc. other suspension parts all died on me in succession so I missed out on some good deals in the meantime. Ah well, adapt and overcome right? :roll:

Anyways, a long time ago a local stance kid gave me a set of no name (assuming eBay) feed style side skirts for free since he hit a raccoon with them. Instead of fixing them he just bought a new set and I won out. I figured these would match my splitter quite nicely so I set out to get to work. They had been sitting in storage for about two years, so first I sanded off all the old splotchy rattlecan paint that was on them from the PO:

I then tackled the wavy bacon syndrome common to the knockoff side skirts by affixing a four foot length of aluminum to the bottom using four countersunk bolts. The aluminum I bought was bent into a U shape with two 90 degree angles, so there was no flex at all. I sandwiched 20-pound 3M double sided tape between the aluminum and splitter to even the mounting stress created by the bolts. I then painted the underside black to hide it all.

Then I mounted the front of the side splitter to the car by utilizing the fender bolts already under the car. I ran another strip of 20-pound double sided tape on the top of the splitter, and using a jack, I smushed it down to the bottom of the car after cleaning everything with brake parts cleaner. I wasn’t a fan of using self-tapping screws on the bottom of the rocker, but everyone swears up and down by this method so I used stainless hardware to combat rust and only inserted one in the middle and one on the rear end. I figure the thick tape between the splitter and rocker keeps out moisture since it essentially surrounds the screw’s threads, and I put a layer of silicone on the screw head for good measure.

I was able to straighten out my bent front splitter and re-mount everything the following day.

Excuse the “cool guy” headlights, but this picture really shows how well all the (dare I say) aero goes together.

And here’s some pictures just for fun. I miss working on this thing sometimes, but I know my priorities are in the right place with graduation coming so soon. Can’t say I’m not excited!

And of course, the obligatory IG picture.

Until next time! :icon_cheers:

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
So what all in the exhaust is custom?
Everything is stock up until the cat. Past the cat I have the RB resonated PP midpipe bolted on, and then RB sells a universal muffler (here) that I had welded on after the resonator. From there it's just a shiny double tip. Everything flows really well, but it's pretty quiet, almost too quiet. That's why I'm taking out the resonator to try and liven it up a bit.

·
Mufasa in Training
52,199 Posts
Everything is stock up until the cat. Past the cat I have the RB resonated PP midpipe bolted on, and then RB sells a universal muffler (here) that I had welded on after the resonator. From there it's just a shiny double tip. Everything flows really well, but it's pretty quiet, almost too quiet. That's why I'm taking out the resonator to try and liven it up a bit.
Did you buy your own 2.5" tubing?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, an NB owner would only need a flange to attach to the muffler, as the exhaust system on NB's comes stock with a separate connecting/mid- pipe that is resonated.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Ah whoops, forgot to mention I took the car down to my local muffler guy and he did all the welding, cutting, and tubing etcetera. Because of the way the muffler needed to be positioned under the car, he had to cut off the second flange and weld some piping straight between the resonator and the muffler.

·
Mufasa in Training
52,199 Posts
Ah whoops, forgot to mention I took the car down to my local muffler guy and he did all the welding, cutting, and tubing etcetera. Because of the way the muffler needed to be positioned under the car, he had to cut off the second flange and weld some piping straight between the resonator and the muffler.
Wouldn't surprise me if the stock NB pipe would have to be cut up a bit, too, because the stock NB exhaust is basically an axle-back.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Love your car! Especially those foglights! Might steal that idea!

No problem amigo, go right ahead. I borrowed the idea from lp_yang but I don't think he posts here anymore. If you need any help, let me know and I'll give you as much help as you need.

Quick rundown: I used plastic weld epoxy and held the bezel to the bumper for a week with duct tape while it was off the car. I also took the paint off the bumper on the bonding area for a better bond but I was amidst a repaint anyways.

41 - 60 of 206 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.