ClubRoadster.net banner
61 - 80 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
^^No problem man, again, any questions feel free to blow up my PM box!

I know this is rather insignificant, but it ties into a new project I'll be working on once all of the parts roll in. It's a new shift knob! It's off eBay and surprisingly good quality. Solid metal, brushed finish, red engraved 5 speed pattern and threads directly onto the shift lever (meaning no crummy adapters).

Here's a photo from on the way to work this morning...I'll have better later.

The ultimate plan is to have it tie into a new center console I'm making. It will be my version of a Nakamae console using the IL Motorsports cupholder console as a base (thanks Concealer!). Should be interesting. Also, the map pocket on the side will come in handy for my new sidekick, an Armscor M200. 6 shot .38 special with a 4" barrel...pretty excited!

(Not my picture)

I'll update the console as parts come in and progress rolls on.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Concealer/Ben's console came rolling in the other day, and I'm really excited to hopefully have some free time soon and start the process of turning the square hole into a circle and modifying the window switch area. This is a rough idea of what I'm sort of shooting for...imagine it covered in carpet though, much like a Nakamae piece.

·
I asked nicely.
419 Posts
Concealer/Ben's console came rolling in the other day, and I'm really excited to hopefully have some free time soon and start the process of turning the square hole into a circle and modifying the window switch area. This is a rough idea of what I'm sort of shooting for...imagine it covered in carpet though, much like a Nakamae piece.
I'm imagining it now, and I started to drool. Cannot wait to see finished product!

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I'm imagining it now, and I started to drool. Cannot wait to see finished product!
I can't wait either. Unfortunately it's a passive project at the moment...I am going to delete the window switches off the console and move them to the DDM radio holder - meaning I have to backtrack and start on that too. x.x

·
I asked nicely.
419 Posts
I can't wait either. Unfortunately it's a passive project at the moment...I am going to delete the window switches off the console and move them to the DDM radio holder - meaning I have to backtrack and start on that too. x.x
If I know anything about building anything. It's backtracking. Well good luck good sir, I can't get enough of your car, so I'll be here for ya! haha

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
Came home sick earlier. Threw up this morning...I'm sure my students are very concerned about me. Heh -_-

With my free time today, I got a lot done on the console setup. That's always a good feeling I started by enlarging the inner diameter of the cup holders so they can actually hold something. Took a steady hand and a Dremel but I got it pretty good.

Before widening:

After:

Both (before smoothing the insides with some 60 - 220 grit) -

Cut a little too much off the inside, so I reinforced the thin parts with steel infused epoxy. Good as new.

Then I sanded all of the paint off the parts where I'll be adhering the carpet to the console:

Then I focused my attention on the DDM Works switch plate. I'll be moving my window switches to this piece. I originally ordered the 3 gauge setup but cut it all out to make one long oval hole:

You'll see above that I filled the space with clear Lexan. There's a method to my madness (and it involves backlighting).

I then smoothed everything, removed the front powder coating down to bare metal, and wet sanded the Lexan to give it a good scuff. I promise I know what I'm doing lol!

Plastic to metal transition came out perfectly flush. This was before I filled in the little dimple to the right of course...

So the next step is to finally tackle covering the console in the carpet. Should be...interesting.

In the meantime, I was able to retrofit some Colt Detective wood grips onto my Armscor M200 .38 special. I had to use the engraving attachment on the Dremel to machine off 1/16" of the inside of the grip to make it sit flush. Its new home will be in the "map" pocket. ;)

Let me know if these photos are either thumbnails or full size. Tapatalk can be funny about images but at least it's better than the AG app. In any case...until next time! :icon_cheers:

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Hey guys. Quick update - plans have changed on the console's design. I nixed the idea of having the sides 'droopy' to emulate a Nakamae console. I tightened up the ends instead, and once I did that I noticed the tombstone looked out of place. I then decided to cover the tombstone and DDM piece as well, so there won't be any backlighting - but the plate will be getting a fresh new design (the one pictured is temporary). I'm going to cover the crash pad, gauge hood, and upper door pads in the days to come with the same material. Should be done upholstering things tomorrow actually.

I managed to finish 90% of the work the other day. I decided to keep the windows in the original place so I made up another window switch plate.

Things that will be changing:
-Switch plate under the radio (this was a quick solution, will be completely reconfiguring it)
-Trimming material so DDM plate sits flush
-Adding illumination into the storage area under the armrest
-etc

Since it's not all done, I'll leave you all with some B&W photos...although I have to say I am loving how it is all coming together so nicely.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
looks kinda sorta somewhat good.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 · (Edited)
So I had some time off today, and got to a point where I can say I'm happy with the way everything has turned out. I think I'm going to make a brushed aluminum AC overlay to match all the brushed pieces, but we'll see about that later.

Anyways, I wasn't happy with the way the previous control panel/switchplate had turned out, so I got to reconfiguring it, all tied together and accented by one of Revlimiter's excellent keychains which I modified a bit. The brushed aluminum is actually a door push panel I bought at the home improvement store for something around $5.

Measuring everything...had a dull marker so the lines weren't the best, but it turned out fine.

Then cut the hanger off of the keychain and rounded off the top. This was affixed to the aluminum plate with double sided tape.

I have black toggle switches that match the window toggles. These light up when powered on though. The left is for the white LEDs in the NB buckets up front, and the right is for my amplifier which powers the bass shakers in my seat.

All tied together:

Also, I made a new backing pate for the hazards/popups switches. Just eyeballed it with some tin snips, a belt sander and a drill press. You can see that in the photos too.

Anyways, I'm really pleased to see how everything came out! I had a bit of a vision for the interior, but it kind of took its own course and came out even better. I couldn't have done it without Ben's (concealer404) console and Adam's (revlimiter) HVAC face and keychain. Thank you guys!

What you don't see in the pictures is that I wound up wrapping the crash pad, upper door pads, and gauge hood in the same carpet material. I want to go out and get some good full pictures later. But until then... :icon_cheers:

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Thank you. :icon_cheers: I think I'm at an impasse because I don't think there's much I can do to it anymore. In two months, though, I'll be getting salary pay and I'm going to get the A/C fixed, engine rebuilt, and add either the Kraftwerks or a JR supercharger. I've already started collecting parts. I'm so excited about the future of this car!

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Well guys, it's a bit of the end of the road for now. I have begun the process of seriously planning and financing a supercharger build. I will post details as time goes on of course.

That being said, I have a set of H4 LED bulbs coming in tomorrow. I have the 55/60w H4 housing/halogen bulb conversion and have always been curious about true LED headlights, so I will post a review with pictures and output/cutoff here shortly. Here is a stock photo of the bulbs which I have coming in the mail:

Other than that, like I said, I have set the bar for a legitimate SC build including a motor swap, rebuild and ECU. Budget is sub 4-5k and under a year, with me doing all the work. Should be very feasible since I can rebuild the new motor while it sits outside the car and still drive the Miata. I'll be posting photos once the parts start rolling in. See you guys then!

61 - 80 of 206 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.