ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 605 Posts

·
Supporting Member
12,272 Posts
Re: Well crap.

Arghghghghghghghghghgh!!!!!!!!!! Noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! That totally sucks man! Floods kill cars. In most cases they're not work fixing once under water unless you really want to do a total nut and bolt restoration. It's a real shame that your car is submerged and that no one jacked it up and put it on blocks for safety.

How quickly did the water rise? Is the car garaged or parked on the street? How far away from your car were you when this happened? I guess at this point all those questions are meaningless. I know it's just a car. I am happy that you and your family are safe (so far). That is the most important thing. I just know how much work you put into that car. I hope some things can be salvaged. Good luck!

·
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

It is garaged at my parent's house. Floodwaters rose up pretty quickly. I was stranded across the city at my son's school. I have yet to see how bad the damage is. It shouldn't be so bad, I once got stranded in my A31 Cefiro. Fired right up the next day and ran well for another 8 years. Crossing my fingers that the Roadster will be the same.

Welcome to global warming!

·
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

News is just trickling in, but this is what the weather station reported:

The worst deluge since 1967; PAGASA reported that in three hours, as much rain as normally falls in two weeks soaked the Metropolis.
2 weeks worth of rain in 3 frikin hours! 4-5 feet in 6 hours (in the middle of the night). No one had time to react. Whole houses have been washed off! Ugh. Shades of Katrina. Kinda hard to complain about my car...still... :(

·
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

I am slowly taking it apart. Basically this is going to be a near total disassembly-reassembly. I realized that in a weird way, I have a bond with THIS car. Have had the BEST times with this car. SO if I CAN save it, I WILL. It's a bit depressing, but kinda fun in a way, cause I haven't bonded with this car this closely since it was new. I'm treating it as a "oh this is how i remove the headlight assembly" "oh this is how this thingie works". I guess if I don't think of it that way it'll drive me crazy. I keep trying to figure out how to do a wire tuck :)

No water in the dipstick. Spark plugs dry. Water got into the intake tract but I think I was saved by the U elbow of the supercharger. Since it curves downward then upward to the TB, I think a pocket of air kept it from going further in. Took the ECU out, it was a bit damp near the connectors. Removed the covers & cleaned it up with contact cleaner. Am letting it dry up first. I may take it to the local Miata shop for a full teardown. I dropped by and he already had 5 Miatas there!

What I don't know is if I should fire it up by myself, or let them do it.

I can't even bitch about it because so many people have it so much worse than me. So yeah, I'm counting my blessings.

http://reallifeexcerpts.blogspot.com/2009/09/katrina-meet-ondoy.html

My car was in Magallanes Village.

·
Registered
11,687 Posts

I realized that in a weird way, I have a bond with THIS car. Have had the BEST times with this car. SO if I CAN save it, I WILL.
Yeah, that pretty much describes my Sharka rebuild. We form bonds with these silly hunks of metal. Neither flooding nor near-death on a freeway can break these bonds. My hat's off to you for your decision to save it, my friend!

If you need any parts or moral support, don't hesitate to post.

·
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Well if you have an RS Aizawa IRTB kit lying around... :)

Haha thanks for the offer. Will see what happens first.

·
Registered
11,687 Posts

As for starting the car, I think I'd give it a while. Take lots of stuff off and let everything dry out. Perhaps take the nose off the blower? Turn it upside down and drain/change the oil at least.

What kind of ECU? Might be a good excuse to upgrade to the latest Megasquirt or Hydra hotness...

·
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

As for starting the car, I think I'd give it a while. Take lots of stuff off and let everything dry out. Perhaps take the nose off the blower? Turn it upside down and drain/change the oil at least.

What kind of ECU? Might be a good excuse to upgrade to the latest Megasquirt or Hydra hotness...
I think the blower should be pretty well sealed. But it is a good opportunity to service it. We have a strange ECU, remember my car is a 96 1.6 which is a Euro "detuned" MX5. Detuned meaning lower compression and different ECU pinouts & maps (more low end). All of which are good for boost, but bad in terms of plug & play compatility with aftermarket ECUs made for the Miata. Maybe a MS with a custom harness would work...

I'm also waiting on how the Miatas in the shop are doing. If they do a good job I may just say F&$% it I'll let them do it.

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts

Holy crap, Greg! This is the first I have read about your car getting flooded!

****! I hope things go well with the rebirth!

·
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Arg scraping off the Dynamat on the floor is a real pain! And it hides water underneath it! Bloody hell.

·
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Hooray for plastic scrapers! They make Dynamat removal 100% easier, which is still not easy. But it saves my fingernails, which are already pretty painful. Starting with the dash disassembly, just got the center console out. Lots of stuff to clean there.

1 - 20 of 605 Posts