ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, sorry if this is a stupid question but I cant find any info and I'm going insane. For some reason beyond me, my seatbelt locks at the slightest pull. Normal right? Well the more I push it in to release the locking mechanizm, the tighter it gets and will not let go until I take the seatbelt off and let it wind all the way back up. Even when I just lean forward a few inches slowly, it locks up and keeps getting tighter and tighter. In a 10 minute drive at normal speeds, I have to take my seatbelt off and put it back on aleast 5 times. It just started doing this the past few days. Any ideas?

·
CR.net Supporter
676 Posts
I may be incorrect, but I believe there is a friction mechanism that grabs the belt under quick jerks, and has a spring next to it that would pull it away from the belt with no more pressure.

It might just be a sticky spring. But I think you'll have to take the belt apart no matter what.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, like I know seatbelts lock up with quick jerks but they usualy release when you take the pressure off of them and function like usual again. Whats getting me is, I'm hardly putting any pressure at all and its constantly locking and wont release even when I take away the pressure. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to have to take it apart and see what I can find like little.one.der said

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Mine has done it since I installed the rollbar.
There's two solutions to this.

Hard Dog's Solution

I did this and my seatbelt is fine.

Boss Frog's Generic Solution (works with Hard Dog)

This one isn't free. I can't comment on how good it is as I have no first hand knowledge of it. It might be worth the $35 if you already have the rollbar installed since you need to remove the rollbar to get to the seatbelt reels to do the Hard Dog mod.

·
Speed Tribe OG Member
4,628 Posts
When I installed my rollbar, i had a hard time removing the seatbelt tensioners. I noticed that at certain angles of (the actual mechanism) the seatbelt just locked up. I investigated further and noticed that the locking mechanism that stops the belt from moving falls into place when tilted in a foward or backward(can't remember) positions. When I reinstalled the belts, I made sure the were in their upright position. You may have to bend the metal tabs or add washers to get them to work properly.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Try pulling the belt out all the way and then letting it retract all the way.

I'm having the same problem in my 97... been getting more common lately. There is a locking mechanism in the 96&97s (and I assume your 99). The way it is supposed to work is that if you pull it out all the way it will only ratchet back in & lock tight around something like a car seat. Pull it out all the way again to disengage. Unfortunately, the mechanism is less than perfect and mine does it kinda' randomly. I'd LOVE to know how to disable it.

I've heard the 94 & 95 models didn't have this 'feature'. If I can't disable mine, I'll swap the reel with a 94 and see how that works out.

What I can't figure out is why they added the feature. You can't disable the passenger airbag on a 97 so you can't put a child seat in and I can't think of another reason you'd want it to lock like this...

-Aaron

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: Basically it locks all the time now. Some times when I get in to put the seat belt on, it won't even pull out, I have to jerk it 5 or 6 times. I don't even have to go into a corner; I can be at a light and notice I'm being strangled to death. Scary part is, I now notice when I do pull on it quickly like I'm in a sudden stop to test it, it WONT catch :shock: . While at the Mazda shop looking at parts, I mentioned to Jeff (performance guy there) about the problem and he said basically all I can do is order a whole new seat belt system so he offered it to me whole sale at $160. I'm on a tight budget right now b/c of a fox body build up so I'm none too thrilled about this sudden set back. I'm getting a roll bar in a couple of days, would it be worth it to just leave the seat belt as is or get a harness setup?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
umm i would assume what's safe for a race track is overkill for the street. It may be a bitch though...maybe not more so than your problem though...

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
umm i would assume what's safe for a race track is overkill for the street. It may be a bitch though...maybe not more so than your problem though...
Wrong.

A harness is meant to lock you into the seat to keep you from being thrown around on a track. It eliminates movement.

A seatbelt is meant to only eliminate movement in a crash. Otherwise the free play it provides allows a driver to move around. This is there for a reason. On the street you need to look over your shoulder, adjust the radio, go into reverse. This all requires movement in your body that a harness will not let you do.

Save the harness for the track and all the idiot ricers.

I'd get a new seatbelt before the rollbar is installed.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
umm i would assume what's safe for a race track is overkill for the street. It may be a *@#%! though...maybe not more so than your problem though...
Wrong.

A harness is meant to lock you into the seat to keep you from being thrown around on a track. It eliminates movement.

A seatbelt is meant to only eliminate movement in a crash. Otherwise the free play it provides allows a driver to move around. This is there for a reason. On the street you need to look over your shoulder, adjust the radio, go into reverse. This all requires movement in your body that a harness will not let you do.

Save the harness for the track and all the idiot ricers.

I'd get a new seatbelt before the rollbar is installed.
Exactly.

And really, you ought not fit a harness unless you have a proper seat, with a fixed back.

Interestingly, I ordered a JDM seatbelt assmbly from Mazda UK recently (its slightly different from that fitted to UK-market cars) for a 1996 Roadster. JDM seatbelts carry a manufacture date on them. The new belt was dated 2003, which I suppose means Mazda has stopped making them, and is using up warehouse stocks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was thinking on a harness (I didn't mention I'd be getting aftermarket seats as well) because I plan on doing alot of autoxing this summer but after thinking about how much movement I have to do every day like black roadster said, it just wouldn't be worth it. If the harness will fully restrain me in my seat, that kinda defeats the purpose of replacing the seatbelt thats doing the exact same thing.

I decided to stop being cheap when it comes to safety and I got the seat belt assembly. I'll post when I find out what was wrong with the old one.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Whala. New seat belt in and problem solved. After taking apart the old assembly, the problem was a spring gave out on me and had lost most of its retention, not allowing the metal teeth that lock the seatbelt up to disengage.

I love the fact that a tiny spring basically cost me $160 bucks #-o

1 - 20 of 27 Posts