ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
The Boss
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*This thread is NOT a discussion on whether or not being slammed is good for your health or whatever other arguments people try to bring here :woolery:. I think we all know by now that slammed doesn't handle unless you have very heavy modification to the factory suspension pick up points.

So I did a little searching and browsing around the forums and I couldn't find a thread devoted to finding and posting solutions to the common clearance/rubbing issues that occur when slammed so here we are.

I'd like this to be a thread where people can post the issues they've had with clearance and others can help diagnose and fix. If posting a clearance issues related to the wheels at all, posting the tire and wheel specs would help a lot.

This thread is also here to attempt to reduce some of the clutter currently in the slammed thread.

I'll get things started by posting my specs and issues:

I'm running 185/60/14 on 14x7 et19. The front tires rub constantly against the top of the fender wells. The fender well literally rests on the tire. I went at it with a mallet with minimal avail. The only real solution I see to this is cutting out the top of the fender wells and tubing (tubbing?) them. Here are some pics:

IMAG0723 by bedheadben, on Flickr

IMAG0725 by bedheadben, on Flickr

The next major issue I've found is that my chassis sits on the rear upper control arms (RUCA) at static height. This isn't THAT big of a deal because at least it isn't destroying my tires, but it can make for a very uncomfortable ride. I know that others have this issue.

IMG_5220 by bedheadben, on Flickr

IMG_5219 by bedheadben, on Flickr

IMG_5221 by bedheadben, on Flickr

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yeah i went at it with a hammer and i think lower offsets help lol mine only rubbed really bad with stock wheels, its fine noww just rubs on hard turns and bumps

Dont care much for checkin RUCA marks lol not worried

·
The Boss
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah i went at it with a hammer and i think lower offsets help lol mine only rubbed really bad with stock wheels, its fine noww just rubs on hard turns and bumps

Dont care much for checkin RUCA marks lol not worried
I'm curious though, what size are your tires? With smaller diameter tires this would be much less of an issue at the same height.
Ben needs Nate's wheels.
I just got my wheels haha

·
The Boss
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My tires are 185/60/13's
See, your tires are a full 1" smaller, which means you have an extra half inch of clearance than I do. Maybe the solution is just smaller tires haha, I kinda like having all that meat though.

·
I used to be cool.
3,086 Posts
My undercarriage is fortified and reinforced with rust, so I have avoided any "real" damage. Of course my frame rails and pinch welds are beat up and mishaped and pretty much all the paint on the frame rails has been scraped off, all my OEM MSM subframe braces are bent or flattened, most all the bolt heads have been shaved flat and you can't get a socket over them now, and I have slight wave in one fender from changing lanes on uneven pavement and my tire jamming into my fender. But I suppose that last one was more relative to being "flush" and not neccesarily slammed.

·
Cr.net is addicting
2,081 Posts
OP smaller tires will help out alot maybe try a 185/50 it should give you enough clearance or you could try cutting out the section where its rubbing and flip it then re-weld . If you cut out like a "L" shape and invert it should be strong and give you plenty of room .

·
Banned
395 Posts
in the VW world we notch our frame for the front axles, just cuttin a couple inches off it and welding a piece of metal to prevent rust, gives the axle a place to sit in rather then on the frame, maybe that will work for your rear control arm issue?

·
The Boss
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay so apparently this thread won't work. I've continued to post my progress in fixing the clearance issues with being as low as I am in my build thread. Link in my sig.

·
Registered
480 Posts
So ill try posting this here. see how it works. k.

So I got my coilovers and put them at the lowest setting and when i dropped it off the jack, and coils in place the front tires were sitting on the top frame of my car. The car was slammed, but not as low as ive seen, and it would barely move because of the tires. I raised it like half and inch, but it still rubs every very little dip.

causes? fixes? whats up with this?

·
The Boss
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So ill try posting this here. see how it works. k.

So I got my coilovers and put them at the lowest setting and when i dropped it off the jack, and coils in place the front tires were sitting on the top frame of my car. The car was slammed, but not as low as ive seen, and it would barely move because of the tires. I raised it like half and inch, but it still rubs every very little dip.

causes? fixes? whats up with this?
What size are your tires? Most likely you're running bigger tires than people who you've seen who are lower. I'm on a 185/60/14 and my wheel wells rub on the tops of the tires constantly. I just did some grinding and hammering today and I've done some hammering before today and there still isn't clearance. This leaves me and you with only two solutions: get smaller tires or completely grind/cut out that section of the wheel arch and tub it. I'm going to be doing the latter.

Here's some pics of the work I've done on my front fender wells so far:

IMG_5520 by bedheadben, on Flickr

IMG_5528 by bedheadben, on Flickr

And what my tires look like, despite all the work I've done on my fender wells. Notice how they're completely bald in the center, where the chassis sits on them. This is after about 300 miles.

IMG_5531 by bedheadben, on Flickr

1 - 20 of 25 Posts