ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been following a couple of posts lately, and noticed that once again (more than lately, anyway) there seems to be a lot of debate over the Sportmax 002;s. I've put my share of posts in on the subject, but I thought it might be a good idea to consolidate it all in one thread and get it all out of the collective system - at least for a few weeks. Or until the next time a new member asks for the forum's opinion on these "sick new wheels" that he/she just found...

SO - Sportmax 002's; love 'em or hate 'em, and WHY.

Let's keep it clean, keep all punches above the belt, and when the bell rings, come out punching - DING, DING!!

·
2,708 Posts
First of all, you mind as well group this thread with anything that has "Rota" or "copies", cause the same bashers will bash equally (at least they're consistent).

I think it only seems like everyone has it because people that have them post them on forums. I have YET to see Sportmaxes on a miata on my daily commute, and I see alot driving 120+miles everyday in SoCal.

Performance-wise, you will hear moaning from the "racers" because of the widened track and most people that have them usually slam the car, thus ruining the precious geometry. Oh well, they are also not looking for five-tenths on a race-track. They are street driven or drifted. More then likely, it's for the looks first, and performance second. Either way, it will still handle better then STOCK. Does that make someone a "ricer" if they're going for "the look"? I don't know about you, but I like the NA miatas because of the way it looks, so i guess I'm a ricer.

And just because they are copies does NOT mean they are fragile. I've seen equal amounts of cracks and failures from both sides of the camp, which is one reason why I like affordable copies. I'd be pissed if I cracked a rim made of un-obtainium, in fact, I would start punching babies.

Personally, I don't mind them at all as long as you don't front that they are originals. Putting a Panasport sticker on a Rota is gay.

Rock wacha-like people.

For the record, I've now own 4 sets of Rotas from my Honda days till now,haha. I love Rota because they were the first (to my knowledge) to copy the Spoon and Mugen rims. The price of used Spoon and Mugen rims has fallen DRAMATICALLY the last 7 years, thanks to Rotas. Copies has definitely made everything else affordable because it's either you adapt, or you fold up business (like Comptech did recently). Bye Bye!!

Then again, I'm waiting on a set of SSR meshies myself :)

·
Registered
720 Posts
who cares what rims people get
its their money, let em spend it how they like

i personally like the 002 and 501's
they look good (imo) and are cheap

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
The 002s are kinda cheap looking with the wrong tire, the 501s always look cheap.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Personally I think if the 002 and 501 came in a one piece look, simply without the rivets and still came in the offset they came in, that would be pretty nice. Someone go out there and remove the rivets from their SM, JB weld the holes! That would look nice.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Does anyone have the 002s with the 38 offset? I think that would look nice.

·
Esteemed Member
3,785 Posts
Personally I think if the 002 and 501 came in a one piece look, simply without the rivets and still came in the offset they came in, that would be pretty nice. Someone go out there and remove the rivets from their SM, JB weld the holes! That would look nice.
I agree the fake 3 piece look just doesnt work. They still look pretty freakin sweet tho on the right setup. They do rip apart and arent the strongest. But there so cheap it doesnt matter

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I love them. There so popular (on this forum) because there are no other affordable low offset wheels like them. And I agree with what exhondaman said, I havent seen one miata with sportmaxes in the street yet and don't think there is even one miata driver in NJ with them installed.

The only cases I have seen the smortmaxes ripping apart is when someone drifts into a curb. What elso would you expect would happen to a three inch lip?

I would rock them but I haven't lowered my car and hate the fact that there two pounds heavier then my stock wheels (I once rocked 17 inch wheels and my car drove like a sedan).

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have had 3 sets of sportmaxes, and still have 2. I actually bought my first set from the first batch/group buy when they just came out, and was one of the first miata to ever have sportmaxes, along with turns101. I bought them because they were the only somewhat affordable(I payed 660 for my first set) rims with low offset, and noone had them on miata, haha, that was back in beginning of 05. Right now they are pretty popular among the miata/hachi/240 world. I have personally only seen one miata with sportmaxes and he's on this forum as well, so there's still not that many out there. Some people say they're not strong enough, and yes they will not be as strong as some other wheels like rays/ssr/etc. but a broken sportmax wheel will be cheaper to replace than to fix a bent ssr/volk/rays wheel. I have destroyed one, and I'm glad the wheel shattered because it took most of the impact and almost no suspention damage, if I had a stronger wheel I most likely would've bent my control arms/subframe. Most people are hating because they just have some sand in their vaginas, and I don't really care that you have same wheels as I do.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I think theyre ok cause for a while there (and still to a degree) they were some of the only cheap, 4x100, low offset, fairly good looking wheels that one could buy. Only possibly bad thing I can think of is that they are supposedly getting played out because theyre one of the few cheap, 4x100, low offset, fairly good looking wheels that one can buy...supposedly, as Ive seen maybe one or two miatas at my school with them and I dont get out much. Still, if I wanted a set, I would probably get them.

·
Sponsor
1,391 Posts
i'm with mike (rusman) on this one. ^

sportmax really hit the nail on the head with the 002 and 501. i know they arent 3peice and they arent oldschool or authentic in any way. but they are good looking and cheap as hell.

if i was driving on the ssr mkIIIs i always wanted and i curbed them or cracked them, i would **** my pants.
but since the sportmaxes costed me like 600 for a set, if i destroy a couple, i'm going to throw them in the garbage and buy more sportmaxes!
i drive the **** out of my car, so its bound to happen.

·
OG Member
583 Posts
It was because of RusMans car that I bought my set of 002's. I was looking for something different from the usual 15,16,or 17 35-40 offset rim and these fit the bill. I've had mine for close to a year now and and I love them. So what that they are cheap. I haven't had any problems with mine. And as far as the bandwagon thing goes, not everyone can afford Work wheels (or similar) or would rather spend money elsewhere on their car. It just so happens that several people on this forum (and apparently elsewhere) like Sportmax. The whole idea of customizing our cars is for our own benefit and pleasure, and not everyone is going agree with the choices you may have made, especially with wheels. Unless you a have a custom made, one-off set of rims, somebody, somewhere will probably have the same set of wheels on the same car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Being that I have had an itchy trigger finger on purchasing the 16" 002's for a couple weeks now, I for one am all ears on opinions and thoughts.

PRO

Around Raleigh, NC the only modded Miata's I see come equipped with enormous high-offset chrome wheels with no drop. While the 002's may not be unique on this message board, I can rest assured I will not see another Miata with a similar set of wheels locally. This is a plus. Secondly, it seems these are a good balance of looks and performance. I want an 8" wide wheel on at least a 16" diameter - I would consider the popular 6UL if it came in a 16" rather than the 15". Additionally: cost. I have also considered the 17" Rota D2 and several other higher offset wheels, but the cost of the 002 cannot be ignored. Quality of build is important, sure, but this is my daily driver and I highly doubt my level of use would cause any stress it would not be able to handle.

CON

Fitment. So far this is the only thing that is keeping me from being fully confident. Perhaps when I mount them up neatly tucked under the wheelwell I will be satisfied, but currently I am a bit nervous. Not of rubbing, mind you, but rather that the camber will overpower the overall look of the car. This is a minor concern, but one which is rather nagging.

Have pictures of the 16x8 +0 on a dropped NB? Post up, I'd love to see it! Keep the discussion rolling, I'm very interested on all points of view!

·
Registered
264 Posts
i personally dont see anything wrong with them. if i could afford some nice old school rims with low to negative offset like ssr starsharks or something then i would, but since im a poor college student like some of the guys on this forum i'll probably get 002s till i can afford something better. i absolutely love negative with extreme negative camber tho, its sick

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Like I had mentioned on another thread, we'd find a lot more variety in the low offset look if more manufacturers offered more 0 et wheels in 4x100 - at an affordable price.

Personally, I love the deep dish look, and I'd have no problem with buying a set of Sportmaxes myself, and eventually, maybe I will. However, I decided on a set of silver Rota RBs in 15x7 +4 (aka "the poor man's Watanabes"). Yeah, they're clones, and they weigh a lot, but then again, I don't drift, drag, or autocross - I just love the way they look. And I probably spent less on the entire set (including tires) than some guys did on a single Wat, so I'm happy with my decision. Don't get me wrong, I love Wats too, but I'd have a hard time justifying spending that kind of cash when I have other things like food, student loans, mortgage, and other bills to pay. And considering that you can pick up a new set of 002's w/ tires shipped to your door for $600-$700...is it really such a big surprise that so many people here have them?

So, and this is just my take on it, until the whole low-offset look is embraced by WAY more people than there are on this forum, manufacturers won't spend the cash to make wheels for such a small return on their investment. No self-respecting wheel maker interested in turning a profit isn't going to come out with a whole line of low or negative offset 4x100 wheels just to satisfy half the membership of CR - though that'd be awesome.

In essence, the whole Sportmax thing is more of a result of a lot of people here loving the LOOK of a low-offest wheel, but not having any choices when it comes to actually selecting an affordable set. So ironically (to those of you who don't like Sportmax) until companies see a lot more people jump on the low offset bandwagon, I think we're going to see more, not less, of miatas with Sportmaxes. As far as business goes, that's the only way to show manufactuers that there's a market for it, and to entice them in offering us more variety.

As far as not being orginal - remember just how many miatas are out there. After all, we all drive the best selling sports car in automotive history, right? So, even if all the members of all the miata tuning forums ran Sportmax, we'd all still represent an extremely small fraction of all miata owners. You have to admit that when you consider that apart from the people on this forum and others like it, the vast majority of the 800,000 or so miatas are driven by people who generally don't give a **** about being any different (ie. people who would never consider being part of this forum) and will most likely keep them stock for the life of the car.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts