I received a new horn button from Revlimiter and it looks awesome. I also installed the new steering wheel and I am pleased with the results. Also, quick releases are awesome for having more than one steering wheel in rotation.
Today was another productive day. I got to work on my front brakes and I spaced out my swaybar a little bit more for my AC compressor. Hopefully I have less interference between the compressor and my swaybar.
I found a replacement headed. I think my Jackson racing header was costing me some power and holding me back. At the widest outside diameter the jr was 2 inches at the outlet and each primary measured to be 1.6 inches.
On the used racing best header I picked up each primary was 1.69 inches and the outlet was 2.375 so overall each cylinder gets about .1 inches more diameter and the overall diameter is increased by .375.
Now my bottleneck was far as exhaust diameter is my cat which is 2.25 diameter.
It has been a while since I have updated this thread. The year started off looking like this with my car.
At that time my car was running the stock VVT engine with the Alec Moody 3d printed intake and a racing beat header.
Then sometime in May I graduated from Law School and started studying for the bar exam. The bar exam was postponed multiple times but ultimately was administered and I passed on my first try. Now that schooling is over I have been able to get back into wrenching on my car the last few weeks with all the parts I've been collecting the past few years.
First up on my list of upgrades were Bryan's old V8Roadster motor mounts. He had them in his car for a year or two but the NVH drove him a bit crazy. I took a chance on them since I thought I knew what the problem was. I still think I know what the problem was.
Below is what the V8Roadster sleeve as included in their kit looks like. It is marginally smaller than the distance between the face of the bushings when the bushings are installed. This would cause the clevis, when tightened, to use the face of the bushing as the mount rather than locating on the sleeve. This was turning the bushing into the mounting surface instead of the medium to quell NVH.
I contacted Sean from SadFab to have a custom made sleeve made. He has helped me out in the past with 3d printed parts and custom machined parts. Needless to say, this small difference in sleeve diameter seems to have made a difference when the sleeve was assembled. Below is the side by side of the included sleeve on the left and Sean's sleeve on the right.
This is what the motor mount looks like when the stock sleeve is pressed into the bushings.
Here is a photo of Sean's new sleeve in the v8roadster clevis. It is a pretty precise and tight fit.
Below is what the mount looks like with Sean's sleeves installed.
And here is a quick video I made showing that the motor mounts can now rotate freely without clamping on the bushings themselves.
Next up after the motor mounts was airflow or lack there of.
I have a trackspeed radiator which was intended for a now defunct turbo idea I had rattling around my brain. Unfortunately the radiator only had provisions for a single fan. I used the largest Spal 14 inch fan that was readily available. It claimed to flow 1800 cfm of air. Radiator temps were awesome and not an issue except when using AC. When I had my ac properly recharged it would not shed enough heat at idle and the temps would slowly creep up if left at idle long enough. Down here in Miami I have nearly 100% humidity every day and on a hot day with ac on things get toasty.
Below was my original fan setup. I didn't create this setup. psyber_0ptix from Miataturbo.net was the brainchild behind that fan mount. It worked great for him and it worked well for me but ac was still an issue.
I contacted a friend of mine who goes by the name Matrussell122 on miataturbo.net He was able to help me design a new shroud, get it water jetted, and shipped to me for final fitting and adjusting.
This is that shroud overlaid on my radiator. I had to do a bit of drilling on the shroud to get things to line up with alignment and what not but it bolted on nicely. I bought some special foam sticky spongey material from Mcmastercar so that I can sandwich the shroud to the radiator and not let any air go in places that I didn't want it to go.
When we designed the shroud I had it built on the assumption that I would be using the same fans that FM uses in their airflow kit. I was able to find a pair of those fans on ebay for $100 shipped.
Test fitting those fans on the shroud.
I also added some thicker foam squishy tape to go between the ac condenser and the radiator so that the fans pull air through the condenser and can't possibly pull air from around the condenser.