ClubRoadster.net banner

21 - 40 of 862 Posts

·
Mufasa in Training
32,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Re: The Tick aka OEM Plus(tm)

Glad to see this thread. Want to see some pics over time. ;)
Thanks...I've only had the car for two years now, so nothing much's changed. Should have taken pics last year when I did the suspension...that was a total hoot because I hadn't thought about the Tein HA's that were on the car needing their own tophats (ie the OEM tophats that were already on the car). Imagine my frustration when, after finally jacking the car up and wrangling the front left shock out (after pulling the alignment bolt) that I needed to buy a set :roll:. If ya'll remember awhile ago, I sold a set of OEM Bilsteins...well, that was why!

·
Registered
382 Posts

Dude I'm 21 and I'm kind of feeling the way you are. My friend gave me a Bride Zeta II for free, but otherwise I don't think I'd go to a one piece bucket. I love modified cars, but my day job has me driving all kinds of sports and exotic cars, and when you drive those and see the combination of butt-puckering performance and daily comfort, it's really hard to step into a modified car and be happy. I still want to make my car a monster, because if I don't do it now, I never will.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts

If you get the wheels refinished have you thought about maybe painting them gold for the Mazdaspeed Touring Kit A-spec look or maybe white for the NR-A Party Race look?

·
Mufasa in Training
32,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

If you get the wheels refinished have you thought about maybe painting them gold for the Mazdaspeed Touring Kit A-spec look or maybe white for the NR-A Party Race look?
Ummm...no.

I am now, though :cool:

·
Mufasa in Training
32,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

a build thread w/one pic? :D I just love seein your car man lol
There's much to see, yet.

Here we are the day I picked him up in Ocala, FL after a 13hr bus ride from Knoxville, where I'd sold his predecessor (hard to believe that was 2 years ago this April!):

Odd...I took the same picture with Junior the day after I bought him back in '04:

Here's some shots of The Tick with other cars:

In action at its first autocross:

Along with a Mini, a VERY original '85 MR2, and a handsome Cayman at a Cars 'n' Coffee gathering:

·
Mufasa in Training
32,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Hey Kyle,

Is this what you referring to with the Mazdaspeed?

...and were these the wheels (from the NR-A) you were talking about?

(the pic is from Randy's CarDomain, no less :lol: )

·
Mufasa in Training
32,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)

Hey! Another LB! Any idea what wheels those are in the first shot?

EDIT: it's not Laser Blue, but Starry Blue, a color not available in the US.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts

That's more like it, nice pics Bryan, that 1st one looks sooo 10AE ish, rest not so much lol

BTW that's the gay NB we get in forza........ JDM MSM no turbo, can't remove spoiler or go < 17 inch wheels.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

After looking at those old pics, I'm sure glad I got rid of that silly pinstripe!

·
Mufasa in Training
32,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Tire Choices

Loving your car Bryan. SUPER clean. I wish I could have afforded a NB.
Thanks man! In case you're curious, I got mine after selling my NA (Junior) and using the proceeds plus a small bank loan to buy the car outright. In April '08, I paid $10k for The Tick, which had the parts as noted in post #1 and 65k on the clock in 6 years. The original owner is a friend of one of the mods here, though it'd gone through one more owner before it arrived in my hands.

Now, for tire choices...

My criteria isn't super complicated. For 6 months of the year, the car is pretty much a daily driver. I LOVE autocross, but I've only had time to do so a few times in the last few years, so all-out performance isn't a pre-requisite. Because the car does semi-daily duty, rain traction is important. Because the car is driven mostly on the highway, ride should be decent and road noise kept to a minimum. Two considerations on durability: first, the tire must be symmetric so that it can be flipped to lengthen its usage. Second, I'd like to get 20-25k per set if possible. With Junior, I had the old Azenis RT215's, which, at $45/corner, I didn't mind replacing them once a season. When you've got 16" wheels and tires are at best $70/tire, that sort of care-free attitude isn't very wise.

Basically, I'm looking for good, not great--if for no other reason than great costs more money and doesn't last as long. Besides, it's fun to blow past people on tires they think are crappy:blaugh:

The choices I've got so far (in price order):

Sumitomo HTR ZII:

General Exclaim UHP:

BFGoodrich g-Force Sport:

Yokohama S.Drive:

Toyo T1R:

I'm leaning towards the Generals, though I won't need to buy these until next year.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

Heard good things about the Yokohama S. Drive. :)
Me too...they just cost $15/tire more than the UHP's, but I don't know they're $15/tire better for my needs.

i'll hook you up with my s-drives for cheap.
Uhsaaywhaaaa?

What size/miles you got?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts

they're 195/40/16 not sure of the miles, but they came almost new on my advans and have about a year of use. I've got a set of rs2's that I've been meaning to put on, but I'm not really in a rush untill it's time for autocross. Especially since I bought the 323 and have been driving it and letting the msm hibernate.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

they're 195/40/16 not sure of the miles, but they came almost new on my advans and have about a year of use. I've got a set of rs2's that I've been meaning to put on, but I'm not really in a rush untill it's time for autocross. Especially since I bought the 323 and have been driving it and letting the msm hibernate.
That's a bit shorter than I'd want. Appreciate the thought though!

21 - 40 of 862 Posts