ClubRoadster.net banner

41 - 60 of 862 Posts

·
Mufasa in Training
32,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Re: The Tick aka OEM Plus(tm)

yeah, that's on of the reasons I don't really want to keep them, but they aren't bad for daily commuting.
You might be able to put them up on Elise Chat. I think the front 16's aren't too far from that size.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Odd feature...door speaker setup

Here're some pics of the inside of my door panels. I was pretty shocked to find most of the setup still intact. Here are some pictures:

If you look closely at the left side of the foot well in this pic, you can see the MB Quartz kick panel speaker. Strangely, the crossover box (also MBQ) on the driver's side was not secured to the door, and so flopped out like this when I took the panel off. Not seen is the MBQ tweeter.

Here's a closeup of one of the crossover boxes:

The driver's side Kicker woofer. It's in the place of the normal door speaker.

If you look closely, you can see that whoever did the work on the audio chose to route the wires to the crossover separately from the stock wire harness:

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts

Wow those are some huge crossovers!

Having just installed a set of clearwater speakers a couple days ago, I know why they chose to route the wiring like that --if you contort your head into the space up under the dash, you'll see that on the chassis side of that rubber conduit there is a connector that completely obstructs access to the conduit. It looks like that rubber piece just clipped onto the plug when they assembled the car.

Oh and as for being surprised by how well-received your project thread is: I have way more respect for builds like yours looks like it'll be than I do for most. It's really easy to take a car and throw a bunch of aftermarket parts on it to make it "better" (usually making it worse in many ways). A lot of the time people end up transforming the car so much that I question why they started with a Miata.

It's a whole lot harder to exercise restraint and make subtle modifications, even more so when trying to use OEM parts as much as possible. It shows respect for the engineers who crafted the car.

I'm trying to go a similar route with my car, but my build thread is on a Mazda forum (model agnostic) that I help run. I'm tempted to duplicate it on here to get more input from Miata owners.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Birthday Update!

Project OEM Plus™ got a bit of a boost today. Just so you know, my wife really out-did herself:claugh:

My gifts came separately wrapped. First, these two:

For Part 3 of the gift, she made me my favorite dessert: pistacio cheesecake--without nutsXD

And in case you were wondering what parts 1 & 2 were for, waiting for me in the garage was part 4 of my gift :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

·
Mufasa in Training
32,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

I remember the thread you posted then Junior went and Tick arrived.

Cannot believe it has been two years.
Me either!

I reckon as has been mentioned an OEM front lip would look good. Would stick with your plans of OEM upgrades too.
I thought about it. I'd always love the MSM treatments (front and rear), but I also decided I really preferred the unadorned lines of the stock NB2 body. Mazda did a great job originally then a good job of adding on to it. That said, the "tupperware" lip shown below isn't really my thing:

·
Registered
742 Posts

Oh snap...you have air...

·
Mufasa in Training
32,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

·
Mufasa in Training
32,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

·
Registered
742 Posts

lol...I'm amazed at how he does it, quite frankly.
Haha! Hand tools for life over here. Whats extra awesome is my garage faces west making afterwork wrenching a PITA sweatshop.

P.S. Hit me up regarding the foam-ectomy.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #57

Will do, Matt!

I got to have some fun on those old Blizzaks I mounted so that the car would have something round and black to sit on all winter. I really shoulda checked pressures before I took off this morning. That was a scary ride!

Btw...proof my car doesn't have Sport Package brakes:

·
Mufasa in Training
32,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
More Wheel Thoughts

I've been following the 6UL threads here and on M.net. I have to say that unless the car is practically in the weeds that 15" wheels just don't look quite right. It seems to me that NB2 cars (01-05) just look better on 16's. It's just a fact.

So...that said, I'm rolling 16x7 +42 5Zigen FN01R-c. Just to do some brainstorming, what's out there in a 16x8 and 4x100? I know they make RPF-1's, but is there anything else (Not that I wouldn't love to have a set!)?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Re: More Wheel Thoughts

...I have to say that unless the car is practically in the weeds that 15" wheels just don't look quite right...
BAH!

...Actually, if there was a 16" 6UL, I'd have them for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts

I would too (if there were also more tires available in good 16" sizes)

Other 16x8" 4x100 wheels:
Advan RG II: http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/advan-rgii-wheel-16x8-4x100-p-10424.html
SSR Professor MS1 R: http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/ssr-professor-ms1-r-wheel-16x80-4x100-p-58100.html
SSR Professor SP1 R: http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/ssr-professor-sp1-r-wheel-16x80-4x100-p-58423.html

so yeah.. the Enkeis are half the price of the other wheels available.

41 - 60 of 862 Posts