ClubRoadster.net banner

821 - 840 of 863 Posts

·
Mufasa in Training
32,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #821
At the time I bought the stuff for my clutch, I'm pretty sure I just had the shop use the bearings in the kit I bought. I couldn't remember if the OEM bearing was iffy or the aftermarkets were, and I guess I didn't want to ask. Ugh.

·
Murse Magnet
7,377 Posts
Fwiw on Julie’s car I bought the Mazda oe economy replacement clutch and wasn’t thrilled with the included bearing but used it anyway. On occasion when driving Julie’s car I can hear that tob. I think there was a separate higher quality one they sold.

Maybe it was made by timken? Don’t recall.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #823
Fwiw on Julie’s car I bought the Mazda oe economy replacement clutch and wasn’t thrilled with the included bearing but used it anyway. On occasion when driving Julie’s car I can hear that tob. I think there was a separate higher quality one they sold.

Maybe it was made by timken? Don’t recall.
lol...There's the problem. I don't know which one to get. I certainly don't want to be doing this again any time soon.

Ben probably doesn't know this, but I've been suspecting my bearings for several years now, so this is not entirely shocking--just frustrating and causing me the usual "oh dang it, now I have to spend money replacing something else" freak-outs.

·
Murse Magnet
7,377 Posts
Well. The way I see it, you have 2 options. Deal with it as you have the last multiple years or address the bearing and have some fun while you are in there.

FWIW xtd on eBay sells flywheels that to my eye are indistinguishable from the ones fm sells. Julie hasn’t noticed any adverse effects and as far as she is aware. This was a stock replacement flywheel because it was cheaper than having hers resurfaced. She doesn’t know that it’s a lighter flywheel.

Have some fun with your car as you are sorting it out.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #825
Deal with it as you have the last multiple years...
Stick it on jackstands and lose sleep every night worrying about the car getting fixed?

Have some fun with your car as you are sorting it out.
I would like to. I probably worry too much.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #826
That said...how the heck much are you paying for resurfacing?! I don't recall paying over $50 for it...the XTD I saw was $160+...

·
Constantly Spooling
1,149 Posts
Back at it again! Sounds like TOB to me too or pilot bearing (that was my problem)

Not sure if you looked into a replacement for TOB but looks like Goodwin is having a sale too.

·
Murse Magnet
7,377 Posts
That said...how the heck much are you paying for resurfacing?! I don't recall paying over $50 for it...the XTD I saw was $160+...
Local shop that offered it said it would be $85 plus tax to resurface it because the surface wasn’t perfectly flat and had the clutch plate standoffs so it would require more setup time. Then they said $15 more to press on the pilot bearing for us.

Xtd flywheel from eBay was $160 or best offer and I think they took a best offer of around $140 but I don’t remember the specifics anymore. Either way I’m pleased with the Nb 2 and how it was dealing with a lightweight flywheel. Drove like a stock Miata that was just a little bit more fun.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #831
So...spring is coming up. Been stewing in anxiety all winter, unfortunately. Came pretty darn close to selling the car several times over.

Need to replace the TOB and pilot bearing. Planning to not change the clutch.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #832
Soooooo...semi long convo with the wife that I'd been putting off. As you all well know, I tend to live in my head, and this is a classic example.

Long story short: planning to actually spend money this year.

Priorities:
  1. Fix clutch issues - New TOB and Pilot bearings...perhaps new Clutch/FW? Which bearings do I buy?
  2. Fix suspension clunk - New extended front top hats (Diftech currently are front-runners)
  3. Bushings replacement - Want the lowest maintenance option, and considering replacing all four corners instead of just front, even though rears seem fine
  4. Fix audio cut-out issues - New head unit? If so, definitely Android Auto compatible
  5. Seat covers for new-to-me NB2 seats

·
I will find you. And I will kill you.
3,200 Posts
1. FAG/Timken/NSN, any known name brand bearing will serve you well.
2. Also consider Maruha.
3. As was mentioned to you elsewhere, the IL Motorsports bushings are stiffer than stock but still rubber. Consider how many years the bushings have been in there and that will be roughly how much life you will get out of the new ones. Any of the rubber bushing kits are expensive but factor the cost over the life of the bearings. Do all four corners so everything is even and you have a baseline.
4. I'd check out Crutchfield first.
5. You can get some decent leather covers from several different sources, then it's just down to installing them (something you can do yourself).

·
Mufasa in Training
32,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #834
1. FAG/Timken/NSN, any known name brand bearing will serve you well.
2. Also consider Maruha.
3. As was mentioned to you elsewhere, the IL Motorsports bushings are stiffer than stock but still rubber. Consider how many years the bushings have been in there and that will be roughly how much life you will get out of the new ones. Any of the rubber bushing kits are expensive but factor the cost over the life of the bearings. Do all four corners so everything is even and you have a baseline.
4. I'd check out Crutchfield first.
5. You can get some decent leather covers from several different sources, then it's just down to installing them (something you can do yourself).
I'll see if I can hunt down a Timken. Not sure what Mazda stocks. The bearing that came with the Exedy kit crapped out on me at about 5 years-ish.
As for the Maruha...what's the best way to get a set? I can't find the mounts on their English site.
For bushings, I figured OEM had lasted me this long, so I should be fine. If it weren't for the accident, I wouldn't be thinking about replacing them, honestly.
There was an HU on here that would've been perfect, but I was too busy freaking out and missed out on it :(
Vinyl covers all the way. No leather. One of the seats has separated at the top of the headrest.

·
Murse Magnet
7,377 Posts
FWIW. Since you were asking.

For the rear arms.

For the front arms.

Plus whatever you plan to pay to have them pressed in and out.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #836
I was asking a more general question. I realize that OEM may not be cheapest, but is it the easiest to live with on a long-term basis?

·
Murse Magnet
7,377 Posts
I think long term rubber would be the easiest to live with. I don’t think oem or mazdaspeed or ilmotorsport makes a difference in your application. Just as long as it isn’t a low quality option.

·
Murse Magnet
7,377 Posts
With that said, If your car were mine I’d look to the sad fab bronze bearings and polyurethane bushings. I’d add grease fittings and I’d grease them every now and then.

It would allow your suspension to work as a suspension instead of having extra spring rate based on the bushings and their willingness to bounce back.

It would require more effort in the install process but I think it would yield better results.

If you aren’t up for that, then go rubber either oem, mazdaspeed or ilmotorsport.

·
I will find you. And I will kill you.
3,200 Posts
G
FWIW. Since you were asking.

For the rear arms.

For the front arms.

Plus whatever you plan to pay to have them pressed in and out.
Go Miata sucks. I have never seen anything good about them. There are plenty of other providers of the stock bushings. As for the pressing in/out, make sure the place that does them understands how to support each individual arm so the control arm doesn't get bent.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #840
Figuring out a deal to get a set of arms with IL Motorsport bushings in them, so I'm going to call that solved for now.

Next: need to get new clutch hardware. On my old Miata, I'd gone with 1.6L hardware including a SPEC Stage 2 and Fidanza. I liked the setup but can't remember which FW I had for sure and aside from being more rev happy and slightly more noisy from the driveline, it was nearly OEM.

1. Is it even worth it to hunt down 1.6 hardware?
  2. What components to get? SuperMiata has a organic disc setup for about $600 shipped, which is probably more than I'd like to spend.

821 - 840 of 863 Posts