ClubRoadster.net banner

821 - 831 of 831 Posts

·
Mufasa in Training
31,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #821
At the time I bought the stuff for my clutch, I'm pretty sure I just had the shop use the bearings in the kit I bought. I couldn't remember if the OEM bearing was iffy or the aftermarkets were, and I guess I didn't want to ask. Ugh.

·
Murse Magnet
7,219 Posts
Fwiw on Julie’s car I bought the Mazda oe economy replacement clutch and wasn’t thrilled with the included bearing but used it anyway. On occasion when driving Julie’s car I can hear that tob. I think there was a separate higher quality one they sold.

Maybe it was made by timken? Don’t recall.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #823
Fwiw on Julie’s car I bought the Mazda oe economy replacement clutch and wasn’t thrilled with the included bearing but used it anyway. On occasion when driving Julie’s car I can hear that tob. I think there was a separate higher quality one they sold.

Maybe it was made by timken? Don’t recall.
lol...There's the problem. I don't know which one to get. I certainly don't want to be doing this again any time soon.

Ben probably doesn't know this, but I've been suspecting my bearings for several years now, so this is not entirely shocking--just frustrating and causing me the usual "oh dang it, now I have to spend money replacing something else" freak-outs.

·
Murse Magnet
7,219 Posts
Well. The way I see it, you have 2 options. Deal with it as you have the last multiple years or address the bearing and have some fun while you are in there.

FWIW xtd on eBay sells flywheels that to my eye are indistinguishable from the ones fm sells. Julie hasn’t noticed any adverse effects and as far as she is aware. This was a stock replacement flywheel because it was cheaper than having hers resurfaced. She doesn’t know that it’s a lighter flywheel.

Have some fun with your car as you are sorting it out.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #825
Deal with it as you have the last multiple years...
Stick it on jackstands and lose sleep every night worrying about the car getting fixed?

Have some fun with your car as you are sorting it out.
I would like to. I probably worry too much.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #826
That said...how the heck much are you paying for resurfacing?! I don't recall paying over $50 for it...the XTD I saw was $160+...

·
Constantly Spooling
1,137 Posts
Back at it again! Sounds like TOB to me too or pilot bearing (that was my problem)

Not sure if you looked into a replacement for TOB but looks like Goodwin is having a sale too.

·
Murse Magnet
7,219 Posts
That said...how the heck much are you paying for resurfacing?! I don't recall paying over $50 for it...the XTD I saw was $160+...
Local shop that offered it said it would be $85 plus tax to resurface it because the surface wasn’t perfectly flat and had the clutch plate standoffs so it would require more setup time. Then they said $15 more to press on the pilot bearing for us.

Xtd flywheel from eBay was $160 or best offer and I think they took a best offer of around $140 but I don’t remember the specifics anymore. Either way I’m pleased with the Nb 2 and how it was dealing with a lightweight flywheel. Drove like a stock Miata that was just a little bit more fun.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #831
So...spring is coming up. Been stewing in anxiety all winter, unfortunately. Came pretty darn close to selling the car several times over.

Need to replace the TOB and pilot bearing. Planning to not change the clutch.

821 - 831 of 831 Posts