ClubRoadster.net banner

881 - 900 of 911 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
The RTV around the master was most likely a substitute for the really thin paper/plastic gasket that is there originally. I was unable to save mine when I replaced the master and did the same with a thin layer of RTV around the surface.
I'd like to think it will keep the metal from rubbing through the paint on the firewall!

·
Mufasa in Training
32,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #883
The RTV around the master was most likely a substitute for the really thin paper/plastic gasket that is there originally. I was unable to save mine when I replaced the master and did the same with a thin layer of RTV around the surface.
Makes sense. I still groan at myself for forgetting to put on the plastic gaskets at the top of the suspension towers, so the car creeks over bumps. Have to do that, and it sounds like I need to get one for the Clutch MC, because I occasionally hear a creek from about the firewall right in front of me.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #884
Admittedly, it's really frustraing not being able to enjoy the car because now I'm on bug-finding missions. Very frustrating!

·
Mufasa in Training
32,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #885
Took a late drive last night.

Found a power plant...

20200820_233034 by Bryan Wyatt, on Flickr
20200820_233104 by Bryan Wyatt, on Flickr

...And a train:

20200820_235331 by Bryan Wyatt, on Flickr

The new bushings definitely do their job--I'm amazed at the difference in ride quality!

Oddly, I did have another difficulty getting the car into gear. After a few minutes' driving, though, it seemed to have passed. Much like the last few times, it happened when the car was warm and had been driven for a while then parked for a short time. Fluid levels as of this morning were normal.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #886
More money spent on the car: new phone mount inbound. Stay tuned.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #888
Nothing fancy...Bought a Proclip dash mount and phone holder. Hopefully it does a better job of holding the phone tight than my iOttie One-Touch did.

Also got new suspension top hat gaskets and a replacement gasket to go behind the clutch master cylinder. Hoping I can get them installed with minimum fuss.

·
I have all the correct opinions.
9,800 Posts
If that doesn’t work, I’ve had great luck with Scosche Magic Mount. It’s magnetic so very minimal footprint and very strong hold.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #890
Hoping if nothing else that the ProClip is a good mounting point for a better phone holder. The ProClip phone holder is adjustable by screw and not just plastic clips, so hoping it's a little more durable and tight.

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
8,916 Posts
I use the Ram x grip with suction mount. I like putting the phone next to the rear view mirror on track days. I need a better to and from the track option so I’m watching you...

·
Mufasa in Training
32,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #892
I use the Ram x grip with suction mount. I like putting the phone next to the rear view mirror on track days. I need a better to and from the track option so I’m watching you...
I'm hoping this works because I got annoyed with the iOttie (which sat in the CD player opening) is that it blocked the clock. This will put the phone off to the side. Only question is: will it interfere with the passenger's legs or, more importantly, putting a hockey stick on that side 😇

·
I have all the correct opinions.
9,800 Posts
so your mobile clock blocked your other mobile clock?

·
Mufasa in Training
32,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #894
so your mobile clock blocked your other mobile clock?
lol...Yeah. I hadn't figured out Always On for when I was connected to the car's Bluetooth. Also, I couldn't tell which station I was listening to on the off chance I was using the radio. Last downside for the iOttie is that it sat right above the shifter, and the charging cable made 1st, 3rd, and 5th annoying to go to.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #897
Today's little project: replacing the RTV the previous owner had put behind the clutch Master Cylinder. Easy job...Moved the Cruise Control, undid one clip on the hard line, undid the nuts, put the gasket on, assembly-reverse-of-disassembly, done.

Hardest part of the job turned out to be that the gasket is some kind of paper/styrofoam crap that creases VERY easily, and I got it too far onto one stud to allow me to get it on the other without ripping it. Thankfully, I took a deep breath and took care of that.

Hoping it gets rid of the firewall creak I was hearing occasionally when shifting.

20200826_185627 by Bryan Wyatt, on Flickr
20200826_185653 by Bryan Wyatt, on Flickr

For those curious, the part is identical whether you have NA or NB.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #898
Car still isn't shifting right. Once warm, several times, it has refused to go into gear--both before and after the clutch hydraulics were replaced. Something got messed up, I suspect.

I called the shop and am bringing the car back in on Monday. At the very least, they didn't brush me off, so that's good.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #899
Back from the shop. They bled the clutch out some more, and we'll see if it works. They also secured the wiring harness (just with a zip-tie, which I could've done).

Didn't charge me for any of it, at least.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #900
THIS.
FUCKING.
CAR.

Now something's wrong with the throttle.

Yesterday, my way home from a drive, I floored it, then realized the engine wasn't backing off (aka throttle was stuck). Got it to reset itself, then drove the last two miles home. Got in the car today and started it up, sure enough, engine starts revving even with my foot off the pedal. Take off the intake tube and find out that the throttle is stuck part open. Working the pedal, it feels like something's broken, but I can't tell where.

881 - 900 of 911 Posts