ClubRoadster.net banner

921 - 940 of 952 Posts

·
Mufasa in Training
32,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #921
This came up for sale with a cubby for $75 shipped. At least as far as internal amp rating, it seems to be a good deal.

Thoughts?

·
Murse Magnet
7,711 Posts
Maybe you don't use pandora or spotify often but have you tried changing stations on either platform while using a single din unit? I exclusively listen to music that is streamed from my phone through pandora and spotify or podcasts and controlling everything through one device while I am in the car works great for me. But if you think a single din would work best for you, go for it.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #923
Maybe you don't use pandora or spotify often but have you tried changing stations on either platform while using a single din unit? I exclusively listen to music that is streamed from my phone through pandora and spotify or podcasts and controlling everything through one device while I am in the car works great for me. But if you think a single din would work best for you, go for it.
Honestly, I've never even used an aftermarket radio. Period.

·
Murse Magnet
7,711 Posts
Honestly, I've never even used an aftermarket radio. Period.
Do you presently use Pandora, Spotify, Apple Music, sound hound, last fm, or any other type of internet based music service? Or even podcasts?

I’d still strongly suggest looking at a headunit that’s not from the early 2000s and connects to your phone to play music from some kind of streaming service and not just storage from your phone.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #925
Do you presently use Pandora, Spotify, Apple Music, sound hound, last fm, or any other type of internet based music service? Or even podcasts?
I do.

I don't quite get what you're saying, though. If the HU is just using the phone as a BT device, can't you just use the phone to control playback and the HU to control volume?

·
Super Moderator
6,546 Posts
You can usually control basic things with a cheap head unit, play pause skip volume. I think Andy is trying to get across the point that you can do much more with an Android auto unit like pick which Pandora station or podcast you want or navigate hands free. I'd suggest doing it just so you have less of an opportunity to grab your phone and try to send that text cause it's only 4 words. Distracted driving is a shitty thing to do.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #927
I see what he's saying. Android Auto in the Odyssey is terribly convenient.

That said, I currently run without AA (I run a BT adapter into an Aux input on my stock HU) and don't find it that much of a problem. The cheapest AA-compatible costs nearly 3 times as much :(

·
Resident BMW Apologist
2,918 Posts
If you're considering used I can sell you the Pioneer that I mentioned earlier. I removed it from the car before I sold it.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #929
I'm torn on it. Honestly, the cost of a new Single-DIN + Cubby + all installation stuff would cost me about as much as having any used unit shipped to me (possibly still requiring me to do the wiring). That said, Android Auto is pretty bitchin'...I just hate spending money, lol

·
Murse Magnet
7,711 Posts
I'm torn on it. Honestly, the cost of a new Single-DIN + Cubby + all installation stuff would cost me about as much as having any used unit shipped to me (possibly still requiring me to do the wiring). That said, Android Auto is pretty bitchin'...I just hate spending money, lol
you plan to keep the car until your son can drive it to prom at least. What's the cost of $50 more on a radio that offers features that increase your quality of life while driving amortized over the next decade?
Also, answering the real question you haven't quite asked, I think you should get a mini amplifier to run drive your speakers over that of the head unit. No matter what head unit you buy, top-down driving on the highway will not sound good at all with just the power from the head unit. Mini amplifiers are small and can be had for less than $100.

I wouldn't worry about the ability onboard the head unit itself to drive the speakers, invest in a mini amplifier. I wish we did on my Miata and I went out of my way to buy a head unit that had better than average power to drive speakers and it still isn't' great on the highway.

·
Super Moderator
6,546 Posts
I see what he's saying. Android Auto in the Odyssey is terribly convenient.

That said, I currently run without AA (I run a BT adapter into an Aux input on my stock HU) and don't find it that much of a problem. The cheapest AA-compatible costs nearly 3 times as much :(
Glad you're not effected by distracted driving :)

·
Mufasa in Training
32,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #933
you plan to keep the car until your son can drive it to prom at least. What's the cost of $50 more on a radio that offers features that increase your quality of life while driving amortized over the next decade?
Also, answering the real question you haven't quite asked, I think you should get a mini amplifier to run drive your speakers over that of the head unit. No matter what head unit you buy, top-down driving on the highway will not sound good at all with just the power from the head unit. Mini amplifiers are small and can be had for less than $100.

I wouldn't worry about the ability onboard the head unit itself to drive the speakers, invest in a mini amplifier. I wish we did on my Miata and I went out of my way to buy a head unit that had better than average power to drive speakers and it still isn't' great on the highway.
Anything's better than what I've got now. I have to turn the stock head unit volume up halfway to hear anything at over about 50mph.
Glad you're not effected by distracted driving :)
I'm no angel, to be fair. That said, running without touchscreen control of everything is no different than what I'm doing now, that's all.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #934 (Edited)
My speakers are currently 10ish years old. I'll probably look into going to an external amp once those speakers are dead.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #935
Bought this one. Should be here by Sunday :)

I'm going to give myself a pat on the back for making a decision somewhat at normal speed for once.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #936
What the hotboi lugnut of choice these days? I want to get rid of my spline drive nuts because I'm tired of always having to hunt down an adapter. Wanted Muteki SR48's, but they're hard to find lately without paying nearly $90.

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
9,086 Posts
There’s countless options on eBay for muteki sr48 at like $50. They’re fine. I’ve used them. Also ran 949. I think hotboi option is 326 power tho...

·
Murse Magnet
7,711 Posts
Anything aluminum open ended and using a 19mm hex head.
I think 949 and FM have the same factory in China making them and I’ve found the same lug nuts on eBay for $20 or so.

·
Resident BMW Apologist
2,918 Posts
I’ve used the muteki a few times. Never had a problem.

I would not recommend anything aluminum. I once broke one and had to drill out the stud to get the wheel off.

·
I have all the correct opinions.
9,963 Posts
Also would not recommend open ended unless you actually have extended studs.

921 - 940 of 952 Posts