ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,930 Posts
Adam, what is your opinion of the Seiko Spirit SCVE003 now that you've had it for a little while? I'm looking for one and was wondering if you think that it is too thick for everyday wear?

Also, I've had no luck finding a red one, but I did find the orange version (SCVE007, which I might like better than the red anyway) for $210. Is that a fair price or should I just keep looking?

Another watch I fell in love with tonight is also out of production. I found the Maratac Mid Pilot Red on massdrop in their old drops. The watch looks awesome, but everything I found in any of the forums sold very quickly if it was the red edition.

·
Super Moderator
2,930 Posts
Thanks for the info, Adam.

I'm gonna do a little more research on what I want then possibly end up with the orange Spirit anyway.

I wish I could find something a little smaller/thinner though. I had the Seiko SNK809 that everyone likes as a beginner automatic. I really liked it's size, if I recall it was 36mm x 11mm. Unfortunately, the one I had developed a terrible rattle so I returned it. I also want to find something that is more water resistant than the SNK809. I think it was rated at 30m and said something like "splash resistant" but not for showering. Sometimes I forget to take off my watch and don't want to ruin it in a shower.

·
Super Moderator
2,930 Posts
Still thinking about the Seiko Spirit for sure, but may pass that one off on to the wife so she has something to get me as a birthday present.

In the mean time, I have wondered down the rabbit hole of vintage Seiko on ebay. Currently bidding on 3 that are all around $20-30. If I win them, I'll be swapping out whatever strap they happen to be on for a nato style strap (either nylon or leather depending).

·
Super Moderator
2,930 Posts
I ended up winning a few auctions on eBay. All of these were between $10-$20. Will need a couple NATO straps but I should now have a color for any occasion. They should start arriving within a couple weeks here, I'm pretty sure all 4 are coming from India.

·
Super Moderator
2,930 Posts
I would like to do the same... what should I be looking for? Just search Seiko or Citizen automatic? Downfalls to avoid? You bidding or buying now?
Yep. I searched Seiko Automatic Vintage and Citizen Automatic Vintage. Search by ending soonest and set yourself a price range that your comfortable with. Carefully examine the pictures because most of them offer refunds only if you return the watch, which would cost almost as much as I spent on the watches to begin with since most of them ship out of India.

I bid on all the ones I wanted. The bad thing about it is you have to really pick out what you want before bidding on anything because there are so many choices. All the ones I won by bidding ended up being a couple bucks cheaper than the buy-it-now but for a watch that's only $15 you might find it worth it to just look through buy it now options.

·
Super Moderator
2,930 Posts
My watches from India are finally starting to arrive. Just ordered two leather nato straps and a perlon strap so I can get rid of the cheap "leather" ones they come with and start wearing them.

Gotta say, for less than $20 each for these vintage Seiko/Citizen watches, the quality and condition is a lot better than I really expected.

@99blkx, hopefully you get the same cool surprise on your purple citizen that I did. THE NUMBERS ARE INDIGLO!

·
Super Moderator
2,930 Posts
Well that's comforting... Since I plan on ordering more if this one is a winner.
I'm quite happy with my HMT watch that just showed up today. It's the green one in the pics i posted. Its a winding watch instead of automatic but I don't mind, I'll have to reset the time on whatever one I wear each day anyway so no big deal.. Tons of colors/styles on eBay for around $10-15.

·
Super Moderator
2,930 Posts
I'll post some pictures when I get around to taking some, but before that I'd like to recommend cheapestnatostraps.com.

I ordered two leather nato straps from them and I am highly impressed with the quality. I also got a braided nylon strap as well. They ship from Sweden so it took maybe 10 days for them to arrive. I think the wait was well worth it because the prices seemed great, especially if they have something in the sale section in your size.

·
Super Moderator
2,930 Posts

Green HMT winding watch with umber leather band = $23 all in.

Red Seiko automatic watch with dim gray leather band = $30 all in.

These are the two I wear the most. I am waiting for one with a dark purple face and another one with a teal face to show up before I decide on strap colors for them.

The orange Seiko I bought is sweet looking, but the automatic movement in it is pretty noisy so I don't wear it often. The light purple citizen I bought is on a black band and nice, but I still find myself reaching for Red or Green instead of the light purple each day.

·
Super Moderator
2,930 Posts
So, the vintage watches didn't really end up working for me. I found them to be too delicate for daily wear, as 3/4 that I purchased eventually crapped the bed in one way or another.

Now I switched it up to modern watches. I bought a Citizen Eco-Drive with flat black hands on a flat black face in a flat black body. I'm currently waiting on two NATO straps for it, one in black leather with black buckles and one in black nylon with black buckles. It's going to be my more "dressy" watch.

My new daily is a Timex Weekender Chronograph. It's pictured here on 3 of my favorite straps. A Tuxedo NATO, a gray leather NATO and a multi-color NATO.

·
Super Moderator
2,930 Posts
I think I'm going to pick up a Weekender. I can't decide if I want the Chrono or not. Maybe I'll go with 1 of each... they're cheap enough...
I really like the Chrono, but to each their own. Best prices I found for them were on eBay. I think I paid ~$40 for my blue faced polished case and I just got a second one with a bronze case and off white face for $31. Both came with leather straps. I tossed the one that came with the polished one, it was super cheap leather. I kept the one with the bronze one, it's a dark leather with a green stripe on it that actually feels decent so I work it through the rotation.

·
Super Moderator
2,930 Posts
I like cheapestnatostraps.com

I've bought a bunch of different straps from them and they all have been very nice. I recently ordered several 2 piece suede straps from them and they are awesome.

·
Super Moderator
2,930 Posts
I have several traditional watches, but it's been a year+ since I have worn any of them. I daily a samung galaxy watch that is black on black. It goes well with all of my polos + jeans at work. It's also really nice to be able to check notifications in meetings without taking out my phone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts