ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,687 Posts
Copycat. That's the only nato strap I have.
Only? NATO? That doesn't compute. I think I have 8 or 9 straps for every one of my watches.... of which I think I have 14 currently. ha!

Dammit. I suddenly really want a SKX007k. Best price? Amazon?
I got mine from jet.com for just under $140 shipped. Shipping took like 3 weeks, but it arrived undamaged.

Keep a lookout. Jomashop, WOW, and some other sites (Ashford comes to mind) often have sales. Amazon pretty much reacts to other sites sales and won't account for stacked coupon codes.

Beautiful collection Adam. Some of those photos look familiar, are you on WUS?
Yup! I post in the WRUW threads a few times a week. Same username and avatar.

·
Registered
11,687 Posts

I have to inflict CR with the Mickey virus.

This MM diver was on amazon's President's day sale last month. Price fluctuated a bunch. I got it for $15 and change shipped. I think the full price is $65ish. For $15 I'm super happy with the little guy. 90 click bezel, lume on the hands, decent accuracy (it lost 10 seconds in a week, so a decent cheap quartz), and a decent size at 42mm.

I threw away the bracelet which was truly horrible and added a Cincy Strap Works argyle which nearly doubled the price of the watch. But for $30? Love.

My daughter got a Mouse watch from the sale too.

And I can't say enough good things about the Cincy Strap Works NATOs I have. I think I have 5. All are quite soft. Great customer service and fast shipping too. http://www.cincystrapworks.com/

·
Registered
11,687 Posts
Thanks Adam, I now have 4 cincy straps on order :p
I don't think you'll be disappointed. I love mine. I'm waiting for their restock this month to do another order.

I've got 15 Clockwork Synergy straps. Their quality is all over the place. Some are absolutely outstanding while others are like wearing cardboard.

Can't say anything good about Cheapest Nato Strap Company. They're... really the cheapest.

I've got a few seatbelt straps from Timefactors. I'll have to do a post about them. Nice, but crazy bulky. Similar quality to the Omega nato for like a tenth the cost.

The Crown and Buckle leather nato on my SARB17 is like butter. Soft and perfect.

Cincy is my favorite at the moment though.

·
Registered
11,687 Posts
I need me a watch. I have bird wrists so I have to find some that don't look like the pipboy 3000 on my orangutan arms.
Here's a couple places to start.

Hamilton Khaki Mechanical. 38mm and very slim fitting.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-H69419933-Khaki-Field-Black/dp/B0001WO7GK[/ame]

Seiko SARB17 or SARB33. Both also 38mm.
http://www.seiyajapan.com/collections/seiko/products/s-sarb017
http://www.seiyajapan.com/collections/seiko/products/s-sarb033

·
Registered
11,687 Posts
Not sure if anyone here is a Massdrop member. It's a login-required service, but membership is free. They do group buys on various items. Men's fashion is one. A lot of good and inexpensive watches can be had if you wait for them to come around.

https://www.massdrop.com/mens-style/drops

I think they charge sales tax in California. They also charge a few bucks shipping. The drops tend to come out about $10-20 cheaper than amazon's best price.

·
Registered
11,687 Posts

Seiko Spirit SCVE003 with the original box, all hang tags, bracelet, and all links. I've been hunting for this one for 5 months now. That's daily hunting, multiple times a day. It's not an expensive watch, just pretty rare. They were made for a year, sold only in Japan, and then discontinued.

The brushed metal face is striking. It alternates quickly between a bright white and medium grey.

I'm not much of a bracelet guy and didn't intend to keep it on metal. After going through my NATO collection, I settled on a black 20mm from Cincy Strap Works. I'll collect a few more straps for it, but this feels like a good start.

The watch measures 40mm without the crown. 13mm thick. Sapphire crystal on the front. 4r37a movement with hacking and hand winding.

So happy.

·
Registered
11,687 Posts
Adam, what is your opinion of the Seiko Spirit SCVE003 now that you've had it for a little while? I'm looking for one and was wondering if you think that it is too thick for everyday wear?

Also, I've had no luck finding a red one, but I did find the orange version (SCVE007, which I might like better than the red anyway) for $210. Is that a fair price or should I just keep looking?
I still love it. It's extremely elegant. A triumph of design? Would it be cheesy to say that? It's just such a lovely watch.

If you're looking down your arm hanging at your side, the Rising Sun will indeed look a bit thick. But that's really the only angle. And it's an angle that no one else will ever see. While a bit thick, it gives a more vintage look. A lot of 70s vintage Seikos were quite thick.

As for every day wear... er... I have 2 watch boxes full of choices. I rarely wear a single watch all day let alone every other day. I'm insane and usually switch in the evening. But that one is quite comfy.

The red one is the rarest. The yellow is pretty easy to find. There's a few black options that are quite nice and the orange is also very nice. $210 is a great price.

·
Registered
11,687 Posts
G-shocks have stolen my heart.

GW-5000. All metal, screwback, solar and atomic. A modern homage to the original DW-5000 of 1983. The bezel and resin is made of a super-soft material. It's a watch I could wear every day and ignore the rest of my collection.

With my daughter's Baby-G. She's learning what time means with this watch. She sleeps in it most nights.

My vintage DW-003. I got this off WUS for $25 as a gym watch and wore it every day in the gym for about 4 months. Then I realized how much I loved wearing it. How nice it was to have a mostly-indestructible thing on my wrist. So I started reading about G-shocks and discovered how rare it was to have a working DW-003 in good condition. Mine came with some 3D printed NATO adapters.

I bought this GW-6900 to take the place as a gym watch and let my vintage 003 have a nice retirement. Then... I fell in love with the 6900.

My GW-6900. This is the solar/atomic version of the DW-6900 (dee vs gee). Mine has a stealthed bezel and molded strap adapters made by a dude named Keoni. I think the strap is a Clockwork Synergy.

If you google "shapeways g-shock adapter" you'll find some 3D printed adapters that let you go from the 16mm G-shock springbar to a 22mm NATO. The same guy (Keoni) made the adapter CAD files. I sent him a PM via Shapeways asking if he could add some more color options to his store. A week or so later he replied saying that he had some injection molded adapters that he'd happily sell me. I've bought like 10 sets so far. I keep giving them away or buying more G-Shocks. I like these adapters way more than the standard 24mm Casio ones. They show more of the strap and are more comfortable on my wrist.

G-shocks on NATOs. My wife's purple DW6900 is in the center.

·
Registered
11,687 Posts
Ah. That's what I'm thinking of. I tried one on at an AD and it was enormous. Maybe 46-47mm? Really large. Larger feeling than the couple of 45mm cases I own. But I think you're right and it was the chrono version.

The Monsters are also 42mm cases. They actually wear quite small. They look pretty big in photos, but in person they're pretty elegant.

damn, now I'm gonna look for a Pan Europ again...

·
Registered
11,687 Posts
I did this mod on my Gulfman a few months back.

Mod consists of...
1) Stealthed bezel from the G-9100
2) 16mm to 22mm NATO adapters from Keoni. These are molded ones, not the 3D printed ones he also sells.
3) Stealth Bond seat-belt NATO from Cincy Strapworks. I modded the strap with PVD hardware.
4) Removed most of the yellow text inside the crystal. I left the "P.SAVE" line intact but removed the RC and BATTERY text from the sides and RESIST text on the top.
5) Painted the red accents on the face in gloss black.
6) Heat anodized the titanium corner screws.
7) Heat anodized the titanium bezel insert after having success with the screws.
8) Airbrushed the G-9100 black plastic insert with transparent blue so it would match the blue and purple titanium a bit better.
9) Strengthened the NATO adapter and lugs to resist breaking.

It originally looked like this.

and with some bullbars

G-Shocks have ruined me for "real" watches. They're pretty much all I wear now. The accuracy and indestructibility really appeals to me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts