ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I posted this at SOCALM but I guess here is the best place to be...
so...have you ever come back from work so tired that you just want to sleep?
Well that was the case for me tonight!
The only problem is that when you sleep at 6 o'clock you won't get up in the morning but at night!
So here I am 2 am totally bored :) with nothing to do!
Hey what better than a ride in Kanan?
I know, I know many of you would say a good DVD and hot chocolate but that wasn't the case for me!

Driving south on the 101 (from Thousand Oaks) at 2 at night is pretty nice!
No cars around and just a nice breeze of air in my hair (top down always!) and plenty of cool air to my intercooler!

Driving down on an deserted freeway is a temptation so l said to myself, let's see what this baby can do and I slammed the throttle to the floor! Believe it or not I never tried to find out the top speed of my car with the supercharger!
I guess this is a sign of getting older-more mature - don't forget that in a few days I'll be 31!
Just to know 2 years ago I did 115mph with the top down and close to 125mph with the top up (all these on the highly inaccurate speedometer - no GPS or anything like that).

So this time I had about 70-80HP more, KONI shocks (on the stiffest mode) and the same crappy tires (!!!)
As a result I hit 110 easily and then after a little while 125mph (top down).
At that speed (and even though it was a bit downhill) it seems that there was a barrier for me because the acceleration was reduced by a lot!

I exited at Kanan, the place familiar but kind of scary at night!
There was no moon tonight so the whole scenery was like from a horror film...the supercharger was screaming and my miata was moving like a ball in a flipper but it wasn't pleasurable. Driving is like art, you can have everything that you need there but the results are not always good!
So after 10-15 minutes I returned back to the freeway.

On the way back to the freeway I put the top up and decided to see what would be the top speed this time!
1st,2nd,3rd, 4th up to 110mph and 5th!
The acceleration at triple digits was really nice with the top up and I easily saw 120,130...135. ..139 and hey where this turn came from :)
I had no other cars around me so I kept the throttle to the floor and turn while I was doing 140+ with the rpm gauge at 7000rpm!
But suddenly I saw cars on the road!
Yes the trucks that were so far away now they were only a few seconds away!

Stepping on the brake at that speed with worn and dry 185 skinny tires of unknown brand while the car is not going straight it's like committing suicide :)

So I just moved my foot off the throttle which btw was enough to make the car a bit unstable! Nothing serious, just enough to make my heart stop for a few seconds!

30sec to 1 min after all these I was driving back to my usual 75mph pace while I saw a car coming from behind scary fast, it passed the truck from the right(!) lane and then slowed down to my speed and stayed behind me (in another lane).
We drove together for a few miles and then it just pulled to the right and exited!
Yes you guessed right it was a HIGHWAY PATROL CAR!!!

I still can't figure out why they didn't stop me, but believe me it scarred the ***** out of me!

Anyways after that I'm convinced, next time that I'll wake up at night it would be better to try sleeping pills!
... and if anybody tell you that sleeping pills are dangerous tell them my story :)

SPECS
Miata 94 (1.8lit)
JRSC+Big Boost Kit+TDR IC+PC+Bipes+ O2 Clamp+Custom CAI
Max Speed achieved: Unknown
Max Speed at the inaccurate speedometer: 142

Question:
How bad is the Cx valued of the miata with the top down?
I think Cx:0.38 with the top up.

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
CR should note that speeding is bad, mmmkay.

Kids, don't try this at home...

:wink:

·
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree in that Tim!

·
Registered
95 Posts
i totally though your post was going to end with "and that's why i just got bailed out of jail"

the gods were smiling on you that night my friend

·
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well probably there is no comparison between my speed and your speed redroadster!
I have KONI shocks with Chikara M2 mounts and stock springs.
The Koni's were is the stiffer mode last night and I have them in the middle perch.

It was pretty scary but 142mph on the speedometer would be probably around 130 (I wish) or even 125mph - which of course it's also a lot for driving in the public streets...

Your 155 would probably be like 170 in the speedometer.

I'm currently (well OK for the last 6 months :( ) waiting for my 16" rims which would be wrapped with 215/45/16 tires.
With these tires the maximum speed would be increased since the wheels would be bigger (if of course I hit the rev limiter).
I also have an overclocked ECU (that I lent to John) and which can help me since it has the rev limiter raised by 13% (it's7500 from 6800 real rpm).

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
The fastest I've gone in my supercharged 1.6 was 135 indicated on a flat, straight, level road.

·
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine was actually bit uphill- just a little bit!
A very important factor is with what tires you did that guys.
You see I did that with (front) 185/60/14 (stock ones for NA8 94)...
No if you have 205-50-15 you can be running with the same speed and the speedometer will show less...
If I ever get my 215-45-16 the difference would be even higher!
I bet all of use we used that at least once :)

·
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...so from above if I'm going again with the same speed with 215-45-16 tires my stock speedometer will show 136 mph (instead of 142)
4% difference
That also means that if I hit the rev limiter in both cases (yesterday I didn't have space to do so) with the bigger tires I would be 4% faster (in actual speed).

[Stupid question] Do I need a roll cage to go to the salt flat speedways?[/stupid question]
It would be nice to do that just for the experience...maybe if I put the 13% higher rpm ECU and the 4% bigger tires, along with a smaller pulley to the supercharger I might be able to get close to redroadster's results (the impressive 155mph)

·
Registered
116 Posts
daaang you's crazy, and lucky! :p

i have really have no desire to go over 100 in a little miata.

in the eclipse that was a different story, the thing felt like it was getting pressed closer to the ground the further i took it past 100mph.

fastest i ever went in it was 147mph as indicated on the typically inacurate factory speedo, with absolutely no cars in view for miles ahead.

i've been in a similar situation as your night though.

was cruising at night with no traffic going about 120mph on 280 south comming from san francisco when a chp car came flying on the fwy, got in front of me, threw his lights on, shut them off, and then took off after i immediately slowed down to more like 70.

thankfully california highway patrol just sometimes seem to have too much else going on.

im not complaining but its ironic that one time i met an off duty SF chp officer at a party in danville/blackhawk who was selling and doing crystal with all the young folks all night.

like i said, some chp officers must have too much else going on... :)

·
2,708 Posts
Nice story. I did a similiar thing in my CRX coming back from Battle Of Imports many moons ago. Racing (Don't do this kids!) my friend's Mustang GT, I hit 138 indicated on my laptop (which was connected to my Jun ecu and a VTEC Controller). Verified by my friend in his Stang. Going that fast in a 2000lb car is SCARY. All motor, btw. :)

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Believe it or not, the fastest I've ever gone in a car was ~130mph in a stock Chevy Sprint (Geo Metro). It's a long, fairly hilarious story best told in person. Never have gone faster than that in the turbo Miata... :lol:

·
Old Threads > New Threads
5,269 Posts
Believe it or not, the fastest I've ever gone in a car was ~130mph in a stock Chevy Sprint (Geo Metro). It's a long, fairly hilarious story best told in person. Never have gone faster than that in the turbo Miata... :lol:
Can't wait to hear the story.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Can't wait to hear the story.
Not that this thread is 6 years old or anything...:littlepony:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts