ClubRoadster.net banner

321 - 338 of 338 Posts

·
Juve per sempre
3,498 Posts
Love the work you've done to make this for the miata market, hopefully you get enough sales! I might be a future buyer, whenever I start making money instead of using again (studying)... :)

GB thread is up!

http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/showthread.php?p=1354393#post1354393

Dumb question: Is there a way I can create an "alias" in the WH section that goes directly to the GB, or vice versa?
Not that I know off. That would be a good function though.

Just post another thread where you link to it.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Sometimes I wish I made my own thread to track my progress, or tidbits of aero info i find.

FULL flat undertray is always a consideration, but application/execution is the hardest part about designing such piece. There aren't many people who actually test, there are many who just talk. Someone posted this somewhere here, read through it, and a line stood out and I found relevant to this thread as it has everything to do with the diffuser and exhaust mounting.

As you know the side channels started out upside down, I couldn't work with that and flipped them. That's why my side pieces may look 'off' to SmokeSR's if any have noticed.

"If I was starting again, knowing what I do now, I`d do it a little differently, mostly to aid installation, but the diffuser would have a steeper centre section, shallower at the sides so I`m not limited for angle by the exhaust as I am now."
From this thread. Very informative and I am finding I'm on the same track finding similar issues-- overheating brakes, the importance of adjustability in the aero parts for testing, some execution of ideas I had laying in my head for a long while... a good read for anyone who is interested.

http://www.timeattackforums.com/forums/aero-dynamics/4604-flat-floor-ideal-height-introduction-my-mk2-golf-aero-5.html

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #327
Flipping the side sections to accommodate a variety of exhaust systems was definetly the way to go. I struggled with the decision a bit, but I needed to make that compromise to make sure the center section could be adequately curved and mounted aggressively enough to actually work.... And people weren't pulling out their hair trying to work around their exhausts. You shouldn't have to struggle with your exhaust to get the AOA up. Instead start with an overly aggressive AOA with flow sepperation and dial it down until the flow attaches. You want to be right on the border, slightly biased twards attached flow.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Looks high enough JLDM. What is the angle on it right now? You don't want it too steep.

JJ - I probably missed it in this thread, but what is the intended angle for your diffuser if it's mounted right?

-Ryan

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not sure on the exact angle. I don't plan on it going much higher just on the right the boxed side contacts under which I have yet to cut so it sits a bit lower.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #337
JLDM, I would agree that it looks plenty high. I would set the fins parallel to the ground as a starting point and go from there. Optimal should should be within +/- 1deg.
Ryan- It depends how you measure it since it is curved. Here are the approx angles if the fins are parallel to the ground plane. 3deg for the side sections, about 13deg if you draw a line through the leading and trailing edge for the center section. It starts at zero and curves up to around 20-22deg.

321 - 338 of 338 Posts