ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so as the title states i'm thinking about trying to make an all motor miata but i was wondering whats the fastest miata all motor wise taht anyones seen? and if anyone knows like HP/TQ ranges and whatnot much appricated guys

-bryan-

·
Registered
517 Posts
Look at what Honda gets out of 1.8L, also look at what production motors do in racing trim.

If you played with everything and increased the revs you might be able to get to 250.

Why do you want to go NA on a B6/BP. These are turbo motors. If you want NA performance look into an F20C swap.

·
Garage Quinn Motors - GQM
2,847 Posts
300 on a bp?!?! that motor must have costs around the $15000.00 range if not more.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just thought it would be different and pretty cool at the same time...btw i know they're boost motors i had a 1994 protege DX with the jdm GTX motor

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
I'm building an engine right now, and hope to get 140+ rwhp and +75-100 shot of n20 and at this point it looks like I'm going to be about $5500+ into it not including engine management, so... bring your wallet.

I know I'll love it when its done, but I kick myself a little bit every time I see my buddies 95m for sale for less than that...

I dont have a lot of cash, but I've been slowly aquiring the parts since august... about $4k into it right now and nothing to show yet.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,094 Posts
Basically, take the worth of your car and multiply it several times. That's probably conservative as an estimate. The long and short of it is that you can build a very powerful B6/BP, but:

1.) It will cost FAR more than a stock motor with some sort of forced induction

2.) For the same amount of money as most FI kits, it will make a lot less power (see point 1)

3.) At a certain power level, you'll have to decide whether or not this engine will be a street engine or track/strip.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,094 Posts
yea i'll prob just b oost it but was wondering about the numbers and what not

thanx for the help
You're very welcome. From what I've seen, for example, it'd take about $7-10k to reach 150rwhp, depending on how much work you do yourself and how well the resulting car is tuned. Dyno time is VERY necessary, but not cheap.

·
Registered
902 Posts
My build cost about $5500.00 w/ Dyno tuning included and when we add cams which would give us 170 RWHP I would say maybe $1500 hundred with a Dyno tune you are looking at $7000.00 total. Yes FI is very fast but NA is a totally different animal. I've been pounding on my car for the last 2 years with no puff of smoke and I can run it hard all day long. Remember with our light weight Miata its all about gettting power to the ground and accelerating forward.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
My build cost about $5500.00 w/ Dyno tuning included and when we add cams which would give us 170 RWHP I would say maybe $1500 hundred with a Dyno tune you are looking at $7000.00 total. Yes FI is very fast but NA is a totally different animal. I've been pounding on my car for the last 2 years with no puff of smoke and I can run it hard all day long. Remember with our light weight Miata its all about gettting power to the ground and accelerating forward.

Jimmy
FujiRacing
I'm glad you chimed in because I was about to do so for you. I think 180whp, if not more, is very possible. Not cheap, but most definitely under 10,000$.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Horsepower is easy to come by even on a Normally Aspirated Miata with Bolt in cams and a stand alone. Bryan is correct it can cost up to $10.000 depending on how much you do yourself. Even though my car is built for autox and moving more towards time attack/circuit I learned a lot at the dragstrip last Friday when we hit 13.9 in the 1/4. The last two runs we lined up against a Dodge SRT Turbo that had some mods like a down pipe. The Dodge smoked us both times with a 13.7 and 13.6. So even though he had much more HP it still takes time for him to catch up. What was interesting was that we had him on both runs in the 60',330',660' and 1/8 mile. Even my good friend Bob Palmblads old 280 RWHP supercharged Miata I can stay with him with only 150 RWHP up to 60 MPH. Bob's car did a 12.7 1/4 mile but if you build an all motor Miata I honestly believe that it can go just as fast. Only time will tell. Even for FI to go faster than 13 seconds it will cost some serious $$$. In the near future when I get to line up against some Turbo and Superchargers on a circuit track it will show how I stack up because I should be much slower than them. I know that it is going to take alot to stay with them because they are very fast. Try driving an IRTB, Turbo or SC and you will know that they all have their own benefits. To give you an idea I would never go FI again on a Miata but Bob Palmblad even knowing what my car does in competition he would still go the SC route because FI is fast no matter how you look at it. Sorry for it being lenghty but just wanted to share my experience.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Registered
517 Posts
Why even bother NA tuning the stock motor? Throw in a F20C and be done with it.

Now I can see the point in ITBs, even on a stock motor. They make driving more enjoyable. But going insane and doing the works, or even $5000 in NA mods looks to be a total waste. If you are going to spend that much money on the motor you might as well match it tuning the suspension and improving the braking. It would also be wise to strengthen an reinforce the chassis.

The point that im trying to make is that, unless you are going for acceleration times, the entire car needs work. If you are going to racing-spec out the motor your stupid not to do it to the whole car.

If you really dislike your car so much that you are willing to spend $20,000 improving it, why not sell it. Use the money you would have wast-erhm, spent tuning it to buy something like an FD3s. After a couple thousand in reliability mods they are good platforms. If you ever drive one, they feel like a pissed off MX-5. The crisp turn in, good balance and mazdaness is all there. Besides their performance they are currently gaining value.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,094 Posts
I learned a lot at the dragstrip last Friday when we hit 13.9 in the 1/4.
By the way, Jimmy, I meant to congratulate you for the VERY impressive performance =D>

I hope you haven't taken all of the talk on M.net personally. Panda Trueno seems to be out of line, and several of us has tried to correct him. Even so, I have absolutely nothing personal against you (or even him, for that matter) and congratulate you for really achieving some impressive results!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts