ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I'm new here (as you can tell by my post count), so I'll give you a lengthy introduction about myself so we can get acquainted. If you couldn't tell by the title, I'm thinking about picking up an NC Miata. I've been a car nut my entire life, and I'm not really brand loyal. I go where my wants, needs and desires take me, which is evident by the cars I've owned.

I started out in a 2006 MKV GTI. Boy did I love that car; I couldn't have picked a better first vehicle (I almost put money down on a Cooper S, but the GTI was on the floor in the configuration I wanted and I happened to like it a bit more). While in high school I interned with a VW/Audi performance shop as part of a senior program my school had. I had quite a bit of fun modding that GTI. It was stage 2 cranking out 22 psi of boost, had a full catless turboback exhaust, sat on Patec coilovers and had various other modifications on it. I was probably pushing about 310 hp and 320 lb-ft out of the 2.0T.

I went to Maine for college and I sold the car after my first year up there. A slammed FWD car wasn't the best choice for the harsh winters and extreme snow--even with snow tires. I knew I wanted something AWD, quick and fun to replace it. I thought about WRX/STIs, but I wanted something less boy racer, so I bought a 2008 Legacy GT SpecB. Again, this car saw the usual slew of mods: custom software, exhaust and some other bolt-ons. This car is currently my daily driver, and it's making about 330 hp and 340 lb-ft.

Okay, all of this leads me up to now. I graduated from college back in May 2011. I've since moved back to New York (I live in a suburb of Manhattan called Westchester). My Subaru sits parked 5 days out of the week, the only time I really drive it now is for pleasure. I started a great career (I'm employed in the field I want to be in, and love my job) and I work in Manhattan. I walk to the train every morning, work a full day, then I take the train home -- so my car is usually untouched most weekdays. I live walking distance from my supermarket, favorite bars/restaurants, town, etc. I liked my Subaru a lot, but I never truly loved it, not like I did the GTI, anyway. And to be honest, I don't get the same joy from it that I used to. It's got about 85,000 miles on it (yes, I drove a ton before I graduated), and I want to get rid of it before something major happens. A turbo may blow any day, or I may get 200k out of it, who the heck knows

Are you thinking what I am? Why do I still have a 4-door AWD sport sedan when really all I need as a weekend warrior (cruiser).

I never liked the large size of my Legacy, I miss the GTI every time I need to back up or pop into a tight parallel spot. I also never liked the chassis on it. It's not as spry and responsive as the GTI or a WRX/STI, and that's an important characteristic to me. I never really have people in my car, so I can lose a backseat (this will be a great excuse to not take my car places, too), and I've always loved top-down cruising in the nice weather. So I began to think: what's affordable, fun, easy to maintain and reliable--the MX5 is! I've had seat time in one back when they were refreshed (2009-ish), so my memory is a bit foggy, but I plan to stop in my local Mazda dealer this weekend to drive one again.

I guess I'm popping in here to say hi, get some feedback and learn as much as I can from everyone on here before I make a purchase. I'm definitely planning on getting a Touring or Grand Touring model. I've always driven 6MT and I don't think I could get used to a 5MT. I notice for 2012, the suspension package is standard on Touring and Grand Touring models; when did this become the case? I may not buy new, as I've found some 2010-2011 lightly used models that I like. How can I tell if they're equipped with the suspension package? On my current Subaru the Bilstein suspension is yellow, is this true for the MX5, because that would be an easy visual cue. My biggest concern, though: torque! I've owed turbocharged cars that make torque insanely low and pull hard up to (near) redline. I'm a bit concerned I'll miss the gobs of torque if I buy a Miata. But on the flip side, does the precision handling of the Miata make up for that lack of torque, I certainly think it may! I guess my first time on an auto-x course with it will confirm :mrgreen:.

Oh, here are some pics of the GTI and SpecB

GTI:

SpecB:

If any of you read Jalopnik, you may have seen this video, it's actually my car!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW3064x5_aE

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Didn't bother reading most of that.

What you need to know: S2000.

·
Registered
448 Posts
What you need to know: S2000.
Um..I dont think so.

Dont bother with the suspension package, you'll be changing all of that anyway. I love my NC, have since day 1. Cross shopped S2000, but paying a higher price for a car that was soon to be discontinued and outrageous insurance premiums didn't make since. Plus I like heated seats and a stereo that sounds good and has Navi/Bluetooth/etc, neither of which are available on an S2K.

Out of all the events I've been to, I've never been left in the dust by an S2000...or a Corvette or Elise for that matter. Your first curvy road, you'll forget about torque being #1.

·
Mr December yo
2,423 Posts
If you're old get a NC. They're not too bad I guess. My old man just got one. It feels totally different to my NA though

And yeah, no way I was going to read through all that. Anyone want to make cliffnotes?

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
Mr2 ftw! Just my 2 cents!
:fp:

Between the option of any NB (inc the terrible Mazdaspeed), or NC, the NC is a better choice. If there's not enough power for you, there are some nice options for fixing that on the FI side :D. I'm sure you'd be able to make the switch, grab some suspension bits and FI the thing for less than what you'll get out of that Spec B.

·
Registered
252 Posts
+1 to what MarbleGT said.

I test drove a 350Z, Genesis Coupe, NC, RX-8, and Speed3. At the end it came down to the RX8 and the NC. The NC won, but it only slightly edged out the RX-8 for me.

I love S2000's, and owned one from 2003-2006. They are great cars in their own right, but with the ridiculous insurance rate on the cars.... added with the fact that I can build a NC that will blow the doors of an s2000.... for less than the sticker price of a S2000 kind of sealed the deal. The cars also excel in different areas, so it really depends on personal preference.

My brother had the same exact Legacy. Awesome fucking car.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Welcome to CR and I DID read your entire post! I appreciate your dedication to correct grammar and spelling. ;)

After being in my 1990 NA base model for so many years, the NC is not my cup of tea. But it sounds right up your alley. I'm used to the lack of "plush" in my car but after the previous cars you've had I highly doubt my car would be your cup of tea.

(Says the gal with the BMW M Coupe, leather interior, heated seats, cruises at 90 without blinking an eye and quietly to boot... and yes when it gets "cold" here in So Cal I take the Coupe to work because of those heated seats...)

I think you should go for it and keep us posted on what you get! Again, welcome to the forum.

Chris

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Out of all the events I've been to, I've never been left in the dust by an S2000...or a Corvette or Elise for that matter. Your first curvy road, you'll forget about torque being #1.
I still feel differently. NC is a huge step up from the early roadster but imo doesn't hold a candle to what Honda did with the S2.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I still feel differently. NC is a huge step up from the early roadster but imo doesn't hold a candle to what Honda did with the S2.
Apples to oranges. They are geared for completely different demographics.

The S2K is a super tight, hard, no nonsense sports car in every sense of the word. The Miata, since its debut, has been noted a simple, classic roadster for everyone.

You're better off comparing the S2K to a Boxster, as the only thing the S2K has in common with the Miata is the top comes off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts