ClubRoadster.net banner

Thinking of boost

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  slevin 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of boosting my 1.6 in the summer. I dont have much money so I have been looking for a lower cost turbo kit. So if someone can help me find that. I have look at ebay but I would like to stay away frome that unless there is something good on there. If I do end up boosting it do I have to tap into the oil pan? How much hassel, time and tuning goes into turbo? My miata is my daily driver so I would like to keep it on the road as much as possible.

-Tim

#2 ·
Greddy kit and a Bipes ACU, $1400 or so shipped. Installation is a breeze as long as you don't break anything.

Here's a good place to get it, a lot of people from the Turbo Miata forum have bought from here.

http://www.hopupracing.com/grtukittdmam.html

Not the cheapest, especially since the resurgence in the popularity of the NA Miata. However they do give good customer service (no affiliation!). The Bipes is the same price everywhere, at least when I bought it, so go ahead and pick who you want to buy from there.

I'm running 7psi peak boost myself, non-intercooled with the Bipes and my timing set to 10* BTDC, the bipes map I have is set for 12* BTDC, but it works pretty damn good with 10.

#3 ·
Im running a stock greddy kit with starion intercooler and jims pipes with hks sqv bov.

i got the kit for 1,250 used from someone over on the miataturbo.net classifieds

there are always kits popping up over there and there are alot of resources available.

I never done a turbo before on any car and i did this one by myself with the help of miataturbo.net

most people tap the oil pan because u don't get any kinks in the oil return line and its pretty convinent to run it straight down.

if you buy a base greddy kit you can run 4.5-5psi (stock wastegate settings) and you can buy a mbc (manuel boost controller) later to up the boost with of course figuring out the other thigns you need.

my recommendation to you is to read this faq. Scott tells you EVERYTHING you will ever need to know about turboing you car.

http://www.miataturbo.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4288

i got my kit installed in less then a week, working on it a couple hours a day after class and waiting for some machine work to be done (i had some sheared bolts and a cracked manifold). other then the sheared bolts and cracked manifold the turbo kit went together very easily.

if you have anymore questions, i can try to answer them for you

Scott

#6 ·
Base greddy kit $1275.00 - easy install can be run with just the base kit and 6 ' of timing btdc.

Easy to upgrade, leaves plenty of room to build in the future. Just make sure you really do your research before starting a project. If your thinking about next summer then you have plenty of time.

#7 ·
I have rebuilt the head and plan on leaving the motor work at that. How long will my motor last before something screws up on it? I know that I'll constantly be moding the car, but I dont like doing internal work. What is the highest boost I should run on stock internals?

#8 ·
#16 ·
time to surf miataturbo.net

stock return on next to the oil filter. requires about 4-5 feet of return hose. has to have no uphill or orizontal travel or risk oil burning or smoke.

thats the correct kit, but, incorrect picture.

MegaSquirt is used a complete ECU replacement, but most retain the stock ECU to perform A/C, Idle and fans functions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.