ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
That's nothing compared to what came out of my driver's side front fender when I took it off last weekend (I don't have photos), but a very valuable public service announcement!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The picture doesn't do it enough justice as to the actual amount i pulled out (there ended up being more). I had no idea how much crap was sneaking down past my hood and falling down in there. It's a pretty easy spot to clean though. Only requires the removal of one or two screws.

·
I wanna go fast
2,781 Posts
Yeah it's very important to keep those drains clean. I did mine once a month when I only ha a soft top.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i only opened up the front but theres a few screws on the inner side of the wheel well that can be taken out, then just pull pack the plastic on the inner fender and pull all that crap out...im sure you could hose it out too but i was inside and just did my best with my hands.

·
Supporting Member
446 Posts
I believe ChrisJuliano may have been being sarcastic...

It's good that you've learned that they need to be cleared, though it's basically Roadster ownership 101. When I first cleared the drains behind the doors, one of them had 2 large stones which clogged up the hole, and when I bought the car the bottom of the right front fender had rusted away due to poor maintenance from previous owners

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe ChrisJuliano may have been being sarcastic...
hmm looks like jokes on me then...at least the guys on here have a sense of humor and dont post with a pole up their ass every day.

anyway here is a shot of what I'm working with and the panels i chopped out of a junker...im hoping to get a free weekend to finally take care of this progressively worsening problem

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
If you ever pull the top off, you can remove the entire drain assembly. Mine was full of acorns and big stuff that would not push through.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a hardtop and removed the whole soft top assembly almost immediately after purchased...the whole soft top was ruined and i didnt feel like dropping the coin to replace it nor do i like the look of the soft top anyway...I've done a fair bit of crawling around under it and it looks like its limited to just the outer portion but then again i'll never know until i go in there and start cutting...either way my brother is a fairly skilled fabricator and i'm sure he'll be able to help me out if it's real bad

·
Murse Magnet
7,798 Posts
so to clarify there is a place near the back of the drivers and passenger seat that can be cleaned out. There is also a place near the front fenders to be cleaned out as well. how does one go about cleaning out the front fenders. I am only familiar with the rear ones near the soft top.

·
Supporting Member
446 Posts
It's in the space between the engine compartment and windscreen (Can't think of what this space is called, but it's where the wiper arms are located). If I remember right, at the extreme left and right sides there's a large drain that goes down to the bottom of the fenders. Mine's had leaves and stuff stuck in it before now

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so to clarify there is a place near the back of the drivers and passenger seat that can be cleaned out. There is also a place near the front fenders to be cleaned out as well. how does one go about cleaning out the front fenders. I am only familiar with the rear ones near the soft top.
due to the sarcasm earlier in the thread is this a serious inquiry?

·
Murse Magnet
7,798 Posts
due to the sarcasm earlier in the thread is this a serious inquiry?
yes this is a legitimate question. I did not know there was something to clean out near the engine area.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hot soapy water or something like Meguiars Degreaser diluted with warm water will shift mud and leaf mould very effectively.

A funnel with a length of PVC tubing attached can be used to introduce the cleaning solution directly into the drain tube collectors behind the seatbelt towers and at the the rearward end of the inner wings.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts