ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
I don't know too much about the programming details and such, but can you be caught downloading from bit-torrent?

I mean- in bit-torrent, you are downloading little broken pieces from each person (and also uploading little pieces to someone else). So technically you're not even guilty of sharing a particular file. You're just guilty of sharing maybe a tiny teenie little unrecognizable bits of a file... And the person at the other end also doesn't know who contributed how much of the bit stream he received.

·
Registered
514 Posts
There is a way to catch people if they really wanted to. Just when the file is put together in the end, it could be programmed to broadcast IP Addy, or whatever. I dont think they are going that far however.

I still think the RIAA are bitches. They stomp on their customers (price gouging and stuff) WHY do CD's still cost upwards of 15 dollars per album. When the price of CD's have gone down further and further over the years. Yeah yeah... there was that pesky lawsuit that consumers won years back (around 2000 or so) that entitled them to money back (around 10 dollars or so) if they wanted it. But that didnt lower the prices of CD's one bit did it? They paid the fee and kept gouging.

Prime example is how they go about the cases against people. They are charging $750 per song downloaded illegally. WTF?!?!?! How can this be, the retail value of said song is only 99 cents. (according to itunes and other music stores) Whats with the price hike? They are clearly in it to make as much money as possible on the backs of consumers, and the un-knowing consumer will continue to fork over his/her hard earned cash to (yet another) corrupt institution.

*edit* OH and as a side note... dont even get me started on the 2005 Sony/BMG Music Rootkit scandal. Funny how they can see fit to install "virus/malware" on your computer without your knowlege then turn around and sue us for downloading their music. *edit*

-Jeremy

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a tiny bit of research and found that bit torrent does put you at risk. The tracker keeps a list of the IPs that are currently downloading and uploading a torrent. The RIAA has been using IP addresses as the first step in identifying people, so your info is out there. I have also read that the RIAA is getting into peoples computers to search for copyrighted works. So its possible that even having illegal MP3s on your computer can get you busted.

As for the argument that you are only using little pieces of a particular file, im not a lawyer.

Edit: I wonder what happens when people take the RIAA to court instead of bending over and giving in to their extortion?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Little bits of a file?

That's like Superman 2 </officespace>

Seriously, portions of pennies or portions of copyrighted materials, it's the same thing IMHO. I fully agree with the 750/song being ridiculous. Fairmarket, or 1.5x fairmarket seems reasonable to me plus legal fees. Beyond that they can huff a dong.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
i don't think it will follow through....

its like senior skip day. you can't punish a large group of people, especially when you out numbered.

·
2,708 Posts
College students actually have time to sit there and DL music? Whatta bunch of loser-nerds! When i was in college, we didn't have high-speed internet in the dorms. If we weren't studying, we were partying and getting laid. Kids these days. *shakes his fist like a grumpy old man*

·
Registered
209 Posts
I wonder, because couldn't this file sharing be a perfectly legitimate method of digitizing one's own library?

I realize that things like iTunes will rip for you and all that, but can't you just walk up the judge and say "I have all these CDs, have a nice day!" then if they ask for proof say they got stolen or something?

I mean, for something like movies it could work even easier... "I can't rip a DVD, but I like to watch them on my laptop. My copy is with lost luggage."

It's just really irritating that they're fleecing folks like this, anyway.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The RIAA is going out of their way to sue people that are least likely to be able to afford to take them to court.

Slightly related.. has anyone noticed those warnings running at the beginning of movies now?

"You wouldn't steal a car! You wouldn't steal a purse! Why steal a movie?"

You know what... If I stole my friend's car, and in the process it duplicated so we'd each have on.. I sure as **** WOULD steal it, but I wouldn't call it stealing, I'd call it SHARING. =D>

·
CR.net Supporter
185 Posts
The RIAA is going out of their way to sue people that are least likely to be able to afford to take them to court.

Slightly related.. has anyone noticed those warnings running at the beginning of movies now?

"You wouldn't steal a car! You wouldn't steal a purse! Why steal a movie?"

You know what... If I stole my friend's car, and in the process it duplicated so we'd each have on.. I sure as **** WOULD steal it, but I wouldn't call it stealing, I'd call it SHARING. =D>
I want to do some car sharing... :twisted:

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
yea they can get you because in one of my classes at school, they have a wireless router and somebody was torrenting with their laptop. Somehow they knew and people from universal pictures (i think) showed up and said they were downloading superman. They went through and searched all the computers but didnt find anything because it was obviously a students laptop. They almost got into some trouble though. I guess this means that you should not only steal movies but steal someones wireless internet so you cant get caught. (if i am correct this is because they can only se the IP address from the router, not the computer actually using the internet or something like that.)

Oh, and go to the riaa's website and read all about music piracy it will make you sick reading about how they are making the internet a better place and helping the consumer by providing better quality music.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This whole thing is such bullshit. They need to wake up and realize it's not 1992 anymore. People (especially college kids w/ no money i.e. ME) are NOT willing to pay $15 for a cd. If it were really in the artists hands, and they really just loved making music, they would encourage the downloading of music. Why? Because it gets them more exposure. More exposure = more fans = more profit from other sources. You can't download the experience at a show. You have to pay for that. You can't download clothes and stickers. You have to pay for that. There are numerous other ways the artists can make money, but not RIAA.

Case in point, MC Lars. He encourages the downloading of his music, hell he even has a song called "Download this song". He produces his own records and performs at sold out shows. He is in it for the music, not the money and because he practices what he preaches, his fanbase is growing at an alarming rate. He is actually getting radio airplay. When i was in LA not too long ago i heard one of his songs on indie 103.1 or something like that.

Point is, RIAA are just money grubbing whores and are doing absolutely nothing to help music.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts