ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I got a ticket for the car being too low. Sucks, but haha. The officer was really nice and cool about it. He busted a"u" in a quiet suburban neightboor and got me. He said no parts of the car can be lower than the lip of the wheel. I've heard of people have gotten pulled for that, but never thought it would actually happen to me. It's just funny. The cop and my friend and I were both there looking at the car with ruler and laughing. It was a good day.

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
Sounds stupid.
The gov't doesn't have the right to tell you how to modify your car unless it violates emissions or DOT standards....and ride height is well.....irrelevant to both those categories.

·
Registered
101 Posts
well... the reason why they impliment that rule is that IF somehow the wheel pop, the rim will be able to continue carring the car going forward (well, sorta... lol) and thus, decrease the chance of having a huge accident, ie: spin out, yada yada...

but since nowaday, the rubbers are made with extremely high quality, it is not that easy to pop anymore, so i think the rule is useless

·
Registered
182 Posts
the reason its against the law (atleast in va) is to keep you from running underneath another car or truck in an accident. Va's law is there has to certain distance from the bumper to the ground, and vice versa with lifted trucks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Well thats news to me. In my accident, in VA, i ran under a cadillacs rear bumper. I didn't get a ticket for being too low. Although, it made for a single scratch on the other car, and mashed my headlight and front bumper.

If it were any higher, my car would have been dead. They should THANK you for being so short to the ground. The higher up you are, the more dangerous IMO.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
The gov't doesn't have the right to tell you how to modify your car unless it violates emissions or DOT standards....and ride height is well.....irrelevant to both those categories.
That's where you'd be wrong. The government owns you. Be glad they let you live and drive a car at all.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ive gotten a ticket for being too low in my crx. Just think what would have happened if you ran under a truck, the impact wouldnt start until the windshield, not good for the driver.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
the reason its against the law (atleast in va) is to keep you from running underneath another car or truck in an accident. Va's law is there has to certain distance from the bumper to the ground, and vice versa with lifted trucks.
Yeah, but trucks are so lifted here I can walk under them without ducking. Per usual, always double standards.

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
BS ticket used for harassment. My opinion of law enforcement action against modified cars drops yet another notch.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
the fix should be relatively easy. Just use spacers. Jack up your car, I assume at full droop your springs are loose, right? Just slide a horse shaped piece of 2x4 between the spring and the upper perch. Its ghetto, but should work long enough for you to get it inspected. Then just remove them. Much easier than yanking the suspension twice. If you want help, let me know. You can use my garage and tools if you want...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts