ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all!
I own a 1991 NA6, and I'm experiencing some sort of clicking/ticking sound in which I cannot locate/diagnose exactly; I figured it be the timing belt however when I took everything apart I found that the current belt couldn't have been more than a few thousand miles old (from the PO) and that the timing was spot on (After ordering a Continental Contitech timing belt complete with the idler, pulley and belt itself). It could be from me running such a heavy oil 20-40 Valvoline**. My oil lifters are basically communicating with me via clicking saying "Screw you for over-working us" XD I'll do an oil change as soon as possible and pray that it will fix the problem!

I was dismayed, however, to find all the gaskets/seals to the belt dust covers were all sloppily installed and they're all stretched and deformed to the point I cannot salvage a single one. I'm going to order/replace the seals this weekend, time willing through my shop. I'm also having a problem getting into 1st and reverse. I checked the master clutch cylinder to find it almost dry so I filled it nearly to the brim with some DOT 3 brake fluid, and the transmission felt better than new! Sadly, I started to experience the stubborn 1st and reverse getting stuck again with the master cylinder full; my verdict could be either the clutch cable or slave. I'm going to lubricate the bottom section of the shifter with some gear oil and see if that does me any good.

**Before anyone goes about calling me crazy for running such a thick oil I have a reason:
The PO had did an oilchange the week of me picking up the car using Royal Purple which does more sheering than it does lubricating so the cylinder ran a little hot thus NOx) I replaced oil with something thicker and I passed with flying colors. Being a 91 it had to run the dyno and to my surprise no one at my local Jiffy Lube knew how to drive stickshift... and they weren't very friendly... I ended up having to run the dyno myself; it was pretty cool!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Lifters can cause a tick at start up, which usually goes away after the car warms up.

Because the clutch is hydraulic, there is no cable. It's probably the slave. Check for fluid in the boot.

·
Chinchilla Rancher
3,880 Posts
Sounds like you might have an early '91 car and your problem with getting stuck in first and reverse are from the reverse light switch on the transmission. It's a design flaw that can easily be fixed by replacing it with a new reverse light switch. There's I'm pretty sure a couple good Youtube videos that show this problem and how easy it is to fix it. Hopefully that's all your problem is with it. As with the oil, you're probably fine with the 20w40. Some people, including myself for a time but don't anymore, run 20w50 oil to help get rid of the valve tick.

Edit:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did I understand you correctly, your local jiffylube has a dyno??
Yes sir!
Unfortunately the staff is under par (which isn't common in my area) and the manager is no good. I really don't like bashing on people but it really wasn't a pleasant experience.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like you might have an early '91 car and your problem with getting stuck in first and reverse are from the reverse light switch on the transmission. It's a design flaw that can easily be fixed by replacing it with a new reverse light switch. There's I'm pretty sure a couple good Youtube videos that show this problem and how easy it is to fix it. Hopefully that's all your problem is with it. As with the oil, you're probably fine with the 20w40. Some people, including myself for a time but don't anymore, run 20w50 oil to help get rid of the valve tick.

Edit:
Much thanks! Cheers!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The video depicts that certain problem is that it is either STUCK in 1st or Reverse; however I can shift, and drive normally other than the fact that 1st and reverse gears requires too much force to get in gear. Sometimes it doesn't even go in with lots of force. I'm obviously not trying to force anything, but I mean the time that I did I had no other choice but to do so.

·
Chinchilla Rancher
3,880 Posts
In that case it sounds like your slave cylinder isn't working properly or possibly clutch master cylinder isn't working properly. Another thing could be, if you still have the original rubber clutch line, is it could be ballooning with the fluid pressure causing the system to be faulty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts