ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, hopefully I don't get castrated for this but for my build I'm making a TII adapter plate/kit.

I'm gauging interest, like for real interest if ANYONE would use it type deal. This isn't getting manufactured yet or at all but I'm making one for my car regardless and will possibly have the plate scanned. I was wondering if anyone would ever want an adapter plate to use this transmission? They are good for about 500whp, and they have slightly taller gears (like a useful first gear).

I've already got the clutch figured out and its an off the shelf Part # as well as the slave/starter compatibility. Outside of that you would need to create a trans mount and diff mount (for the miata) and have a driveshaft made.

These transmissions can be found pretty inexpensively (~200) and they are very durable.

Kit would be high quality made in the USA much like this one...

http://zilvia.net/f/...quantities.html

It would be made by the same guys and of the same quality work, and around the same price, if this were to happen/be interest.

Again, this isn't a FS thread or a group buy interest but just me trying to bring a new option to the development of higher powered/higher developed cars.

If there is interest I have no doubt they will pay to be a sponsor here to sell those plates I'm just seeing if this is even worth it or if any one desires this swap.

Just chime in to let me know what your thoughts are or if you would be interested, this will help decide if we have any made​

·
Registered
9 Posts
Count me in.

I found this site by searching Google for TII Miata and came across the Mighty Mouse build. What a great car that turned out to be.

Any machining needed on the trans?

I prefer the gearing of the RX7 transmissions, in fact I have an NA trans from a 90 RX7 in a Miata case in my car right now. However, I would like to get the most out of my Rotrex and will need a stronger trans to do it.

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,110 Posts
I'd be interested to see what you could do for the price for the miata community. My friend went to a shop and had one made for $100. If these are mass produced, I would like to see how much cheaper it could get

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Count me in.

I found this site by searching Google for TII Miata and came across the Mighty Mouse build. What a great car that turned out to be.

Any machining needed on the trans?

I prefer the gearing of the RX7 transmissions, in fact I have an NA trans from a 90 RX7 in a Miata case in my car right now. However, I would like to get the most out of my Rotrex and will need a stronger trans to do it.

Machining is up in the air right now. We might be able to make it work without it, in fact i know its possible without machining it, however I might have mine machined, but leave the option open to do it without machining the bellhousing but modifying the throwout bearing instead.

I'd be interested to see what you could do for the price for the miata community. My friend went to a shop and had one made for $100. If these are mass produced, I would like to see how much cheaper it could get
No that price is what they would be. Cost of machining is more than $100, Thats what happens when you get top quality parts. They cost money

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I offered to fab and sell them too, but no one wanted to actually pay for one. Maybe things have changed?

As far as the bell housing, I posted a lot of pics of what had to be done to get it to fit in my build thread. It's really nothing more than basic grinding and trimming really. Using countersunk bolts should reduce some but not all of the grinding- that's a pretty good idea.

Keep in mind you still have to make trans mounts, modify the clutch fork or TOB, fab/buy a custom driveshaft (or shorten the stock TII), source a custom clutch, and do something with the PPF- either adapt it or get rid of it. This is the part that scared people away I think.

Switching rear ends will lead to another set of variables as well.

Any other questions and I'd be happy to answer them. I tried to take as many pictures and whatnot of this process as I could as there wasn't much information out there at the time.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know why dudes think you need a custom clutch. NC clutch has same splines as TII trans and same diameter as 1.8L clutch. I called ACT and talked to them directly and that's what they suggested.

I'm also going to put the starter where the TII starter sits instead of cutting the bell housing. Danny George made his work that way so I'm confident I can produce the same result.

The other modifications aren't for the weak at heart but are not "out of this world" with a welder and patience

Thanks for all the input, you were one of the reasons i decided to have a go at this and we thought if other people wanted the plate made for them out of ease, making 5 wouldn't be too crazy

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I don't know why dudes think you need a custom clutch. NC clutch has same splines as TII trans and same diameter as 1.8L clutch. I called ACT and talked to them directly and that's what they suggested.

I'm also going to put the starter where the TII starter sits instead of cutting the bell housing. Danny George made his work that way so I'm confident I can produce the same result.

The other modifications aren't for the weak at heart but are not "out of this world" with a welder and patience

Thanks for all the input, you were one of the reasons i decided to have a go at this and we thought if other people wanted the plate made for them out of ease, making 5 wouldn't be too crazy
That's news to me about the clutch- that is sweet I had no idea! For those interested, I got my clutch from clutchnet, and it has held up to my power, repeated hard launches, and flat foot shifting just fine.

I cut the starter mount off the rx7 bellhousing and mounted it to the adapter plate in the miata location for 2 reasons. I didn't want to run into clearance issues with the exhaust, and I also wanted the exhaust tucked up higher than the frame rails.

You are right though- with a little thought, planning, and some welding/fab skills it's very doable.

I came from the off-roading world where everyone made their own stuff vs/ going out and buying it, so this seemed normal to me, haha.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No machining to the trans, NC clutch disc works with 1.8L clutch/flywheel. Use miata starter and pilot bearing.

Use TII clutch fork/throwout bearing, spaced out with a washer

Pictures of the finished prototype:

And our smoking hot model:

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
This looks pretty cool and I gonna have to keep my eye on this thread for sure. How would the TII trans work out with a miata rear end with 3.63 gears though? Any thoughts. My plan up to now is to run a miata 6 speed with the 3.63, since I already have the rear, but if I can run a TII trans and still keep this rear, then I might go for it.

I'd like to see though what would be involved in order to still run the ppf

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
you're better off ditching the PPF to be honest.

Also 3.6 is tall but if you make good power it might not be terrible.
I was hoping to keep the ppf, but if its too difficult with the TII tranny, then maybe not. I know the 3.63 is tall, but I was initially gonna be running the miata 6 speed transmission and my power goal is pretty high.

Not sure what to do now for a transmission for the project.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
getting rid of the ppf is easier and better. That's a piece of **** system and a pain to work on. Trans/diff mounts are way cooler lol

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TII TRANS are $100-200 depending on the deal you get. Plate is gonna be about $400. That in itself is cost of a 6 speed. Sell the 3.6 and get a 4.1 and now you're in the green to finish the swap.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
getting rid of the ppf is easier and better. That's a piece of **** system and a pain to work on. Trans/diff mounts are way cooler lol

I understand that I would need a trans mount, but if i stay with my current diff, would I need some kind of diff mount? I'm a little confused.

The boss frog 8.8 diff setup isnt TOO pricey.

http://www.bossfrog.biz/Miata_V8_Swap.html

They also make this trans mount for the stock miata trans to delete the PPF and use an 8.8 rear. I wonder if it could be used to mount the TII?

http://www.bossfrog.biz/Differential_Swap.html

Atleast in your case speedworks the sale of the 6speed and the 3.63 would more than cover the cost of these.
I thought about running the boss frog 8.8 setup initially, but I had such a hard time trying to get my hands on a 8.8 diff that I gave up on that and decided on the 3.63 gear setup that my buddy had and picked that up from him. My rear setup is a 2001 miata housing with 3.63 gears and FC RX7 clutch type lsd.

That boss frog trans mount looks like it might work for the TII trans with a little modification maybe, but for that, I just make my own trans mount. I've got a pretty good fabrication guy who is also my welder.

And also, I don't currently have a 6 speed, but that was my plan, so I can't sell it since I don't have it, lol, but your right, the sale of one would help cover the cost.

TII TRANS are $100-200 depending on the deal you get. Plate is gonna be about $400. That in itself is cost of a 6 speed. Sell the 3.6 and get a 4.1 and now you're in the green to finish the swap.
I've got a set of 4.1 gears currently in my 2001 rear. I was gonna swap over the 3.63 and the lsd into that rear end, but now I'm wondering what gears would be better if i end up with the TII trans setup.

Now i'm really confused as to what is gonna work best for my setup.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Yes you will need a front diff mount.

Also ford 7.5 is another diff option
I just went through Mighty Mouse's build thread to see what he did for his tranny and rear end mounting, but he is running a TII rear end as well, but I"m guessing that since I'd be eliminating the PPF that I would have to fab up a mount that would attach to the miata diff at the ppf mounting location and then hold it to the subframe. Is that correct?

At this point, i'm gonna stick with the rear end I have, just have to figure out which gear set i'm gonna run, the 3.63 or the 4.10. I might just pick up a spare rear subframe to figure out the diff mount issue.

We will see I guess.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Yes.

Some people even use a portion of the ppf.

Look over on m.net at the v8 guys builds and there a many different ways to do it.

Also I've thought about the t2 trans if I want.longer gears later with the v6 I may switch to it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts