ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Likes Rims
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last year, I began to prepare myself for Timber leaving me. I knew as a large Malamute that survived a few bouts of heart worm, 13 previous owners that were not willing to give him a a loving and permanent home, a shelter that was only hours away from euthanizing him, and being chained up to a pole in the middle of a dirt lot with no shelter, that he did not have too much time left.

I am sad to say, that Timber, has passed away.

Brandy woke me up because Timber was breathing oddly, and I opened the door and he went outside. He came back in, still breathing slow, laboring, laid down in my office on his rug, and was very lethargic. I checked to make sure he had nothing blocking his airway. I checked his pulse, and it was weak. I knew it was coming. He got up, and wanted to go back into the bedroom, so I let him back in, and we noticed his tongue was purple. He laid down on his blanket, and I held on to him until his breaths became even more shallow and he put his head in my lap. He took his last breath, and I began CPR. His big giant lungs filled up and his chest expanded, and I kept him alive for a few more minutes. He made a short moan, and I let him go.

Like I have promised, I buried him in the backyard. At 4:00 am. I wrapped him in his blanket, given to him for Christmas in 2006, covered him with his rug, and placed him in the most Timber shaped hole I could dig.

Sometimes, you meet people that you never knew you wanted. I was looking at adopting a dog, and he just kind of fell into my lap. I knew that if I didn't take him in, that he would end up never having anyone to care for him. He would be treated like some kind of disposable animal, and as beastly and uncivilized as he was, I took him. It was at least a month before he would even come near me, which I understood. He had been neglected and abused.

Many of you have met Timber, at car meets, or maybe visiting at my house, and I have talked about him often.

I knew it was coming, like I said, and I tried to prepare myself. When I got home from the meet tonight, I let him out back, and as I have often in the last month, I watched him walk, remembering his gait, trying to preserve what I knew would be one of the last times that I would get to see him alive. I just, had a feeling, that he was going to leave me. It was difficult to leave his side after he passed, it was difficult to let him go, and I hugged him like I often do. It was very difficult to set him in the hole, to shovel dirt over the top of him, knowing that I would never get to pet his soft fur again, that he would rot away in the ground, that every time someone asked about him, I would think of his body, there in the dirt, decaying, that I would eventually get over him, that some day I will not be bothered by his absence as much as I am now, thinking of how we would never get to spend our days together again.

We build relationships. Relationships, to me, are built on future events, yet to happen, but seen as a dependable occurrence. Memories can't replace the present or the future, and no memory will ever replace the one constant "person" in my life over the last 6 years. He was sitting beside me in 2007 when my mom called me and told me that my brother had died, coming to lay his head on my leg as I cried. He was there, every day, right beside me, for every post I made.

I gave him everything that I thought he needed, and I hope that I gave him enough.

·
fender gap is the enemy
2,103 Posts
sorry for your loss, dogs are the ****. mine is gettin to be old even though he still looks and acts like a pup. ill probly lose myself when he goes. get yourself another one man they really are a best friend.
RIP TIMBER

·
Registered
400 Posts
Damn. That was the most depressing thing I've ever read. :/ RIP Timber. He sounds like he was a top notch dog. I'm sorry for your loss.

·
Likes Rims
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry for your loss, dogs are the ****. mine is gettin to be old even though he still looks and acts like a pup. ill probly lose myself when he goes. get yourself another one man they really are a best friend.
RIP TIMBER
I bought Timber a puppy for Christmas a few years ago, and I still have him. His name is Gumbo and he is a Catahoula, as seen in the last pic, on one of their many walks together.

I want to get another Malamute, like I have always intended to do. I will probably name him Timber, and although I will not be replacing Timber, I hope I can give him some of the love I shared with Timber up until his final breath.

·
Likes Rims
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damn. That was the most depressing thing I've ever read. :/ RIP Timber. He sounds like he was a top notch dog. I'm sorry for your loss.
Completely top notch. He asked for nothing, and he gave me all he had.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sad to hear the news. The good puppy dog is the best friend we've got. They're never around long enough for us to pay them back for all they give us.

R.I.P. Timber...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sorry for your loss. I lost my husky a few years back. Scared of buying another and going through the same thing again.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'm tearing up as I was reading your post, and now I can't wait to get to my husky tonight and hug him.. I hope you feel better and celebrate his life.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sorry for the loss, man. Dogs truly are about the best friends you can ask for - even after a shitty day at work, I come home to a wagging tail and sloppy dog kisses and it makes things a bit better. I hope you can get through the tough times now by knowing he's not suffering any more, and remembering the good times you had.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Sorry for your loss, buddy. I lost my best friend of 11 years, Sport, last summer. My parents just brought up that they are having a shelter dog over for a home visit and I lost my ****. I still haven't gotten over the fact he's gone.

·
Likes Rims
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all, it means a lot to me.

·
Supporting Member
743 Posts
Wow man, sorry for your loss. I lost my dog that I kinda grew up with when I was 19 & it took me a long time to get over it. They're only here for a short time & to them we're the world. At least he's not suffering anymore.... Sorry again man...

·
Registered
374 Posts
My condolences. Losing a pet is always hard, especially when they're there for you for all those years. They are part of the family.

It's strange, my Grandma lost her dog today. It sounded similar, over the last couple days she could tell that Darwin (her dog) was not doing well. She was walking funny and was slow to get around. Today Darwin could barely get out of the house, and there was blood all over the floor - my Grandma had to call the vet to have her put down.

My Grandma lives on a farm in Kansas alone and her nearest neighbor is over a mile away. Needless to say her dogs (one remaining) are her best friends. The one thing that I think you both should hold on to is the fact that you were both able to be there for your best friend in their last moments. That's all a dog could ask for. They wait all day for you to show up just so they can see you. So you can only imagine that once your dog knows that it's time is up, he/she would only want to be by you. You gave Timber that, you did everything you could.

I didn't mean to run on about my Grandma, but I find comfort in knowing that I'm not the only person going through a tough situation. Maybe you feel the same. It's unfortunate that no matter how many words are typed, spoken, read, or heard, the pain will stay. As you know it will be an emotional roller coaster that levels out over time. Just be sure to stay productive, and take things one day at a time. Chin up!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts