ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so its time to get new shocks and im wondering whats best for grip driving. my miata is lowered, has GAB 8 way adjustables right now, and stock springs. Whats the best setup for grip driving??????? Its a daily driver but i really dont care about harshness of ride, i could care less.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
could you please explain why too? i forgot to add that. and what if i got aftermarket springs? would they still be best choice? and if i got aftermarket springs, which would be best without lowering the car too much?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Why?
Tried and true by a lot of Miata drivers~a known quantity.
Adjustability to include different spring perch heights.
Set-up information a-plenty.
Rebuildable/custom valving available.
Good for competetion (Solo up to and including nationals) or track days.
Retailer support (forum sponsors sell 'em)
Price/value- $469 at R*Speed only $130 more than KYBs much more value that just $130. Using stock springs and lower perches eliminates the need to buy aftermarket springs.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Your car is lowered, but on GAB 8-ways (aka KYB AGX....) and stock springs?? You don't care about harshness, but don't want to go too low. Lowering springs automatically introduce at least 30% in the spring rate, just by lopping off a coil or so (what most lowering springs actually are). Some manufacturers might introduce a different wire thickness and/or pitch to control the spring rate.

Right, assuming you don't have some kind of ghetto spring clamp on your car, I'm going to assume its pretty much standard ride height right now. Koni Sports are a good choice, as you can fit with a standard spring, and achieve a mild level of lowering. PLus they are rebuildable.

Someone wil probably suggest adjustible coil-overs. 90% of drivers don't need this. Adjustible coil overs were developed for accurate corner weighting by race cars, when setting up for particular tracks. Most of the coilover kits on sale for street use, especially in the US, are pure junk. At best, they'll seize and corrode within a year, rendering it no better than that fixed perch shock you should have brought. At worst, they'll fracture and collapse, leading to death.... Unless you have a decent budget to buy a high end kit, and have the facilities to get it properly setup, I would steer away from this.

"Grip driving"; not sure what you mean. Really depends on where you drive. If you forever drive on flat, non-cambered, smooth concrete, then the hardest, stiffest Bilstein is the way to go. Of course, take it over a road with mild imperfections, and you'll start to lose traction.

·
Registered
720 Posts
only reason im sayin agx is i dont like how the yellows you gotta cut up your front shock body and then stuff the koni yellow in

edit: actually not sure if u have to cut anything with a hacksaw with the miata application
anyone know?>

·
Registered
720 Posts
o yea and like sid said you can get agx on ebay for really good deals
i got mine from a seller named 'performancepeddler'
something like that

·
Registered
592 Posts
only reason im sayin agx is i dont like how the yellows you gotta cut up your front shock body and then stuff the koni yellow in

edit: actually not sure if u have to cut anything with a hacksaw with the miata application
anyone know?>
Koni Yellows are complete shocks not strut inserts (a la Honda). You do need to drill out some washers but no biggie.

As for price check these out before you think 10, 20 or even 50 bucks worth saving at a non-forum sponsor

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=183046

and

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=186156&highlight=price+koni

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Whats the best setup for grip driving?
There is no single correct answer. It's all a matter of what tradeoffs or compromises you're willing to accept. Most important questions to answer are:

What is your budget? and How much fidelity do you really want/need?

If you've got $20,000 to blow on shocks and springs and you're seriously into the science of going fast and you are so in tune with how your car is supposed to feel that you can tell how much fuel your car has in the gas tank without looking at the gauge then you might be interested in some remote reservoir multi-adjustable racing shocks like Penske, Moton, JRZ, Leda, Ohlins, Koni, etc. If you're not Joe Millionaire and just want a nicely balanced Miata that is easy to tune, comfortable to drive on the street, capable of the occasional auto-x or HPDE without falling flat on its face then go with Koni yellows. If you want some adjustable damping but don't want to spend a lot get KYB AGX. If you don't care about adjustability or if you want to custom rebuild them Bilstein Sports are nice. If you want adjustable ride height then look at entry level coilovers like those offered by Tein, Bilstein, etc. Keep in mind that you can easily ruin the Miata's good handling by changing suspension components if you don't know what you're doing. The more adjustability you purchase the smarter you've got to be when setting up your car.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
KYBs only if you can't afford anything else. They really are a budget shock when purchased in AGX form. There are better shocks out there. But AGXs are cheap, so lots of people buy them And lots burst seals prematurely, but luckily KYB USA mindlessly apply a lifetime warranty to them.

KYBs available in Japan are a different matter; much more diverse. AGXs are nothing more than an obsolete GAB design licence produced for the US market.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts