ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about the short nose crank. I have a '90 so I know my car has it, but I just had the dealer replace my timing belt, water pump, etc...... I went to the Mazda dealer to have this done because of the short nose issue. Ever since then when I start off on a hill I have some belt squealing. I popped the hood to take a look, and now my pulley at the crank has a lot of wobble in it. Before the car went in it had no wobble. I am very familier with my car (i track it, and do all the maintance myself, but wanted the dealer to do the TB because of the short crank). Did the dealer install it wrong? Is the crank now damaged? What would be the best way to approach this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
173 Posts
About 5 years ago I used your logic to have a dealer do my belt. I was also to busy at work to take time to do it myself. Big mistake never trust a Mazda dealership to do anything correctly. The first thing that went (3k miles) was the new water pump because mechanic had tightened the belt to much. Then engine started running badly and had a crank pully wobble. Had a good private miata mechanic take one look at it and tell me the problem. Bottom line, new long block from mazdacomp. And this was a 1.8. Hope everyone knows by now that these can also be screwed up unless care is taken. In my case the the crank bolt had not been tightened enough. Good luck, Chuck Oh, there is temp. fix using permitex(?) I believe. Friend did it and is satisfied. See miata.net for details. I would not wait long.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Dealerships are good at selling cars, and thats it.

All this crank pulley talk I hear about worries me.

I did my timing belt 5K ago and I can't remember if I took off the bolt or just the pulley, is it possible to change the belt buy taking off just the pulley? I think ill go check that its tight anyway...

stupid m.net paranoia....

Edit: Hah yes, I did change my timing belt with out taking off that god forsaken bolt.

·
Registered
173 Posts
http://www.miata.net/garage/hsue/LoctiteCrank1.html This is the cheap "Loctite repair for the short nose pulley. There is also one for the long nose. And yes they fail, I just told you mine did because of loose crank bolt. Also, Endless Corner, if yours is a 1.8 how did you get the belt off and on the crank pulley without removing the pulley boss which requires removing the crank bolt? I don't think the 1.6 have a pully boss, but the 1.8 does. Chuck

·
Registered
517 Posts
From what I remember there were 4 bolts that held the pulley onto the crank. I just took those off to gain access to the timing belt... I think.

Bah im starting to get really confused here.

Edit: M.net straightened me out. Damn I feel like a tool.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts