ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be a somewhat "vintage" inspired build. I want to keep the car OEM+ and possibly do a Quinn-esque motor build in the future.

However, what I'm doing now is basic stuff.

Here's my list of what I've bought already:

Momo Monte Carlo 320mm with red stitching and red horn button

Porsche 914 seats that will have the center section recovered with confor foam and houndstooth red and black fabric

Car needs a ppf correction, as the shifter sits about 1-1.5 inches left of center

New lower shifter boot and bushing (went with the 5xracing bushing)

New outer tie rods and ball joints

Centric brake rotors with power stop pads and stainless braided lines

Flyin Miata V MAXX Classic Stage 2 kit

V8Roadsters Frame Rails

What I still need to buy are:

New shifter boot to replace the old cracked one

Possibly wheels and tires as I'm still deciding on what to go with. The stock daisys look great in my opinion but in a 20mm offset lowered would be even better. If I stick with stock wheels, I'll do ichiba 25mm spacers and 185/55r14 595SS or 185/60r14 Dunlop Direzza ZIII's. Or if I want to be baller I'll get 14x7 RPF1's with 195/60r14 RT615K+ tires.

As of now, I have plans to make any more power until I have the tools, the means, and the space engine swap. All of the bought parts should be here this week and I will begin installation this weekend!

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The parts beginning to pile up. Man this weekend is gonna be long, but hopefully successful. I've already loaded up on PB Blaster and POR15 for a worst case scenario.

Edit: I should also say that I've still got more parts coming tomorrow. Including new upper ball joints, my 914 seats, braided stainless lines, redline RL-600 brake fluid, Magnecor Spark Plug Wires, and NGK Extended Reach Spark Plugs. Oh, and a works bell hub.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I got my Vmaxx Classic stage 2 kit on and it rides like a dream! Just need to adjust it a little more to get the ride dialed in perfectly. Now, while I was driving home the car sputtered and did not want to accelerate whatsoever. Foot to the floor, just hard bucking and almost stalling. I narrowed the problem down to a fueling issue and took a look inside my tank. These images speak for themselves. Even though it looks rough, this is mostly all pitting and can be repaired. I'll drain the tank tomorrow and spray some vinegar inside to clean everything out again. Once that's finished I'll flush the system and put fresh fuel in and I should be good to go

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately, the tank was in worse shape than I thought. It's going to need replacing, so I went ahead and ordered a new one that should be here next week. But at the same time I was able to pick up a set of 14x7 +19 offset RPF1's for $650 with tires. Bittersweet I guess

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While I wait on my new gas tank to come in, I decided to freshen up the interior a bit. I mounted a pair of Porsche 914 seats on TrackDogRacing low mount seats brackets. This sits me roughly 2" lower than stock seats. Then I've also got a 320mm Momo Monte Carlo steering wheel, with an NRG 2.0 quick release and works bell 70mm hub. I'm about 6'2 and boy did this help out. I will also be reupholstering the seats in black and red houndstooth fabric. If I like it, I'll probably do the door cards in the same pattern.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should mention that before I got the Works Bell Hub, I bought a $20 hub that was basically a replica of the Works Bell. I decided to chuck it and just spend the money on the Works Bell. It's completely plug and play, and no wire cutting is needed. Not to mention the construction of the Works Bell is fantastic and Miata roadster has them for $122 shipped, which is the cheapest I've been able to find

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just picked up a Mazdaspeed Torsen with the axles for a steal! $350! I do have a question for y'all though. Do I need to upgrade my rear hubs to fit the axles? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Those seats look like they will be easier than others to get out of for you too. The idea of red & black houndstooth sounds GREAT. Make sure to post photos after please!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most definitely! They'll take about two days according to the shop. But I won't be able to get them done until I get from training at the end of February

·
Supporting Member
743 Posts
DUDE! I'm doing the same thing with the 914 seats! I picked up some 914 seats on ebay like 2-3 years ago for next to nothing & have been planning to recover the center sections in OEM VW GTI (Jackie, iirc) fabric; redo the seat backs & sides in vinyl or leather - all this should come to fruition later this summer.

On your Track Dog mounts, are they fixed or can they slide? I am planning to do what Keith from FM did on a customer car and weld angle to a set of stock sliders and bolt the seats to that. However, if I slept on these Track Dog ones and they do slide, I'm doing that.

How do they feel? My concern was if they don't "hold you in place" on corners. FWIW, I'm 6'2" also, but I'm probably a bit fluffier than you - 36w, 34 inseam.

·
Administrator
15,077 Posts
Bad news: PPF alignment has no bearing on shifter position left/right, as the PPF is not adjustable that way. It is only adjustable up/down.

That said, i have no idea if off-center shifter is normal or not. Haven't messed with an NA anytime recently.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Roughly the same dimension as I am. I've got broad shoulders so this one was quite attractive as it doesn't pinch my back or shoulders. And the Track Dog brackets are fixed in place, so no sliders. But, I've got additional holes drilled if someone wants to move it forward for a drive.

And I was thinking about sending them off to Auto Atlanta to be redone in the GT style, but these are better for street use right now.

EDIT: Also my shifter is off center due to a bad motor mount. I've got two new ones sitting in the car waiting to be installed.

·
Supporting Member
743 Posts
OK cool, good to hear - I kinda have broad shoulders too, which is why the 914 seats looked attractive to me. I used to have Bride GIAS seats and they didn't fit me as well as I'd have liked....

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
1 - 20 of 67 Posts