ClubRoadster.net banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Aye! I'm gonna be on vacation so won't be able to drive Sukie until I get back. But yes, the 914 seats coupled with the TDR seat brackets sit quite low.

Also another update. Lurking in the back is this 1.8 block for future applications. I picked it up for $100 and I picked up a BP4W head as well for $200. This will be built to handle 500whp, but only run about 350whp since it is primarily a street car.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Thanks man! This Kraken kit is fantastic. I wish I could say the same about the Bofi intercooler kit though. The hot side piping is very large, and the intercooler itself is a 27x12x2.5 unit and covers way too much of the AC condenser and radiator, so keeping things cool is a bit tough. I'll be stepping down in size to the FAB9 unit, or something of similar size.

But in unfortunate news, I won't be able to make it to MATG this year. My company decided it was better to do a month long training scenario at the exact same time. Hopefully next year I'll be able to make it.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,878 Posts
But in unfortunate news, I won't be able to make it to MATG this year. My company decided it was better to do a month long training scenario at the exact same time. Hopefully next year I'll be able to make it.
Bummer...it's always a good time!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Bummer...it's always a good time!

That's what I hear. I first heard about it after watching Tom's Turbo Garage when he had his sunburst yellow turbo Miata, and I've always wanted to go. But I've still gotta figure out why the turbo isn't making more than 9psi at this point. Just some trouble shooting is all.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,878 Posts
It's a shame...you might have had likely your only chance to see not one, but two (and maybe even THREE) Laser Blues in the same place at the same time :lol:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
So, lately I've just been driving and enjoying the hell out of this little beast, and acquiring many many parts. Just been doing spirited driving and trying to survive the Florida heat. Having AC helps, but only while driving. This car does not like the 8lb Flywheel and AC combo. Good news is that I'm having no cooling issues, even in traffic. However I will be downsizing my intercooler size from the current 28x12x2.5 to a more modest 23x7x2.5 as well as 2" hot side piping and 2.5" cold side piping. This stuff should be coming around later this year in September, along with an MS2 PNP. Should be better to fine tune, since the SpeedyEFI is still rough around the edges.

But...on to the parts. So. Many. Parts.

Kinda, here's my list for my build:

VS855 valve springs (not pictured)
Cometic 80mm .051" Head Gasket
79mm/10.6:1 Supertech Pistons
Manley Rods
ACL HX Race Bearings
ACL Thrust Washers
ARP Head and Main Studs
Boundary Engineering Stage 1 Oil Pump
ATI Super Damper

This should all go well with the GTX2871R I plan on using as well. Not shooting for crazy power numbers either, as this will still be a well mannered and well tuned street car, making between 300-350whp. Plus I'll be going to a 6 speed transmission paired with a Miata Roadster shift kit, ACT 6 puck clutch kit, and an ACT 13lbs flywheel (for better AC idle control)

Either way, this car is gonna be a whole different beast! I'm still bummed about missing MATG this year, but there's always next year!

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,259 Posts
So, lately I've just been driving and enjoying the hell out of this little beast, and acquiring many many parts. Just been doing spirited driving and trying to survive the Florida heat. Having AC helps, but only while driving. This car does not like the 8lb Flywheel and AC combo. Good news is that I'm having no cooling issues, even in traffic. However I will be downsizing my intercooler size from the current 28x12x2.5 to a more modest 23x7x2.5 as well as 2" hot side piping and 2.5" cold side piping. This stuff should be coming around later this year in September, along with an MS2 PNP. Should be better to fine tune, since the SpeedyEFI is still rough around the edges.

But...on to the parts. So. Many. Parts.

Kinda, here's my list for my build:

VS855 valve springs (not pictured)
Cometic 80mm .051" Head Gasket
79mm/10.6:1 Supertech Pistons
Manley Rods
ACL HX Race Bearings
ACL Thrust Washers
ARP Head and Main Studs
Boundary Engineering Stage 1 Oil Pump
ATI Super Damper

This should all go well with the GTX2871R I plan on using as well. Not shooting for crazy power numbers either, as this will still be a well mannered and well tuned street car, making between 300-350whp. Plus I'll be going to a 6 speed transmission paired with a Miata Roadster shift kit, ACT 6 puck clutch kit, and an ACT 13lbs flywheel (for better AC idle control)

Either way, this car is gonna be a whole different beast! I'm still bummed about missing MATG this year, but there's always next year!

I'm gonna be me, and you're just going to have to accept that for the moment, because i'm being me in order to help save you from yourself. :lol:

But there's some things here that just don't make sense, especially on conjunction with something else you posted prior.

I will list them here in no particular order.

1) 79mm/10.6:1 Supertech Pistons
2) MS2

Please2be explaining.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
All good man, since I'm only looking for around 300whp I'm going with a built 1.6

Everyone does the 1.8's, and for good reason. However with this, I'll make the power I want, and I won't have to change out my manifold and downpipe combo.

Plus my builder suggested it, since he's got a built 1.6 with a similar turbo that I'm going with and he's making 350whp. He's using the same piston combo, but running an EVO 8 ECU.

·
Administrator
15,259 Posts
All good man, since I'm only looking for around 300whp I'm going with a built 1.6

Everyone does the 1.8's, and for good reason. However with this, I'll make the power I want, and I won't have to change out my manifold and downpipe combo.

Plus my builder suggested it, since he's got a built 1.6 with a similar turbo that I'm going with and he's making 350whp. He's using the same piston combo, but running an EVO 8 ECU.

Ok well... 1.6 sucks and it's not about the peak power, but more that your powerband is going to be HORRID, but it sounds like you're aware of that so carry on.

What needs attention is the MS2 part, and the 10.6 piston part. Those are wrong, and i really don't care in the slightest what your builder thinks on that front. 10.6 is E85 compression territory. MS2 + E85 = stupid.

SO, change one or the other. Preferably both, because this is the year 2019. ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Eh, kinda sorta, power band on 93 will be fine. I've got a thicker head gasket so final compression will be around 10:1. As for the MS2 vs MS3 I already asked my tuner if it's worth spending the extra dough and he said that it's not necessary for my applications. He's the one who's tuned my builder's Miata and his is running fantastic, and definitely sold me on the setup after I went for a ride in it lol.

·
Administrator
15,259 Posts
If by "fine" you mean "1000rpm or more later spool," yeah.

10:1 is too high for pump gas, still. Literally ANYONE who has ever done more than 30 minutes of research on "how to turbo a miata motor" would know that. The reason why MS2 is gonna be rough is because the knock capabilities of that ecu is bad. And it doesn't do E85 worth a ****. You will need E85 for those ratios.

Top tip: Go lower on compression and don't run a thick headgasket. This isn't the year 2000 anymore. We understand how motors work and thick headgaskets are a stupid band-aid created by Honda kids who wanted to turbo their 12:1 stock compression motors without learning how to tune.

If you're opening your motor, there is literally ZERO reason to use a compression that isn't ideal. You want 8.6-9.0 range for pump gas. 10.0 or higher is E85 territory at your target power levels, and you have the wrong ECU to do that safely.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts

·
Administrator
15,259 Posts
I'm referring to MBT. He will be unable to reach it with that compression on pump gas, and it will be very detonation prone, on top of the negative effects of not being able to hit MBT in order to maximize spool/torque/hp-per-psi.

Basically, it will be a poorly-performing time bomb because detonation prone, but without an ecu that will do anything to stop it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I hear ya, I'm not an expert (clearly), and I'm following the advice of my builder and tuner. And based on their track records, I'll be sticking to their advice.

·
Administrator
15,259 Posts
Oh cool, was it 949 Racing or Trackspeed that recommended you do this?

If you tell me it was "BP Performance," then you should probably consider how many motors that dude blows up on his way to dyno queen glory, or his cars that successfully run in a straight line for entire seconds under load at a time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Motor is being built by Miatas and More, and is tuned by the local tuner. He's got my current setup running great and I've got no complaints. I trust both his, and my builder's advise.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts