ClubRoadster.net banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Administrator
15,321 Posts
Welp, good luck. Just remember that i tried to give you some information that's been common knowledge for the better part of a decade to help you succeed. :lol:

No matter what, this car is way better than your last one, so.... progress!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
This is true, I'm definitely digging my setup, and the engine be done by MATG next year, so we'll have to meet up if you head out there haha.

And for anyone wondering, this was my previous dumpster fire

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Whatever you say bud.

Anyways, short term plans for now is de-power the steering rack, get the KAI Bracket on, fab the new intercooler piping, and mount the new intercooler. If everything works out, I will also be getting the car painted as well, as this car desperately needs it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Since my engine was making too much crank case pressure, I decided to take my valve cover to a local fabrication shop and get some -10an bungs welded up. Long story short, AN lines are attached, valve cover looks fantastic, and the catch can is a fantastic addition. Next month I'll be downsizing my intercooler and deleting the power steering

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
So while I was messing around in the engine bay, I decided to try and track down why my car wouldn't make any boost until about 5.5k rpm (besides being a stock 1.6). Turns out my wastegate rod was too long and was holding the flapper open by about 1/4". I've since upgraded to a TIAL unit, and now I'm making roughly 10psi at 3k rpm according to my boost gauge. Only issue now is that my "upgraded" clutch is slipping horribly. Hopefully I'll have that sorted out soon, but here's my messy engine bay anyways. Still loads of fun!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Not too much has been done since my last post. I just deleted my power steering today and have just been driving and enjoying the car. However the more I drive it, the more I realize the 195 tires are being overwhelmed and these 914 seats (while very comfortable) don't provide any side support whatsoever. Among other pieces I've acquired, my tuner is building me a set of coil on plugs, since I finally got my KAInjection tie down plate. Week after next I'll finally have some time to head down to the shop and get the new intercooler setup going and tuning on the Megasquirt.
IMG_20191116_142336.jpg

Oh, I also finally ditched my 10.5" upper and went with an 11.5". That extra inch helps out a lot with dwell time (make all the jokes you want)
IMG_20191207_183201_449.jpg
IMG_20191208_093151.jpg

1. PSA: SpeedyEFI is alright, but it's nowhere near as refined as Megasquirt.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Last week was very successful! Removed the old intercooler setup, which was way too big for the small 2554, as well as getting rid of my SuperMiata organic clutch and 8lbs flywheel, and going to an ACT HD 6 puck clutch and stock 1.6 flywheel. We also replaced my SpeedyEFI with an MS2 and got rid of my Innovate MTX L in favor of an AEM X series wideband.

My new setup is the MS2 ECU, with KAI 610cc EV14 injectors, a DW200 fuel pump, Kraken Manifold and downpipe, GT2554R, 19x6x2.5 Intercooler with 2.5" cold side piping and 2" hot side, 2.5" Yonaka Catback exhaust, and ACT HD 6 puck clutch.

1. After some tuning we ended up with 233whp at 16psi. This little car is an absolute beast now, and driveability is much better with the stock flywheel. Next year will be paint and restoration, as well as the built engine!
    IMG_20191219_152910.jpg
    IMG_20191218_135655.jpg
    IMG_20191218_135659.jpg
    IMG_20191218_135728.jpg
    IMG_20191218_135713.jpg
    IMG_20191216_132046.jpg
    IMG_20191219_195643.jpg
    IMG_20191219_195648.jpg
  2. As you can see, the power is extremely linear, and it's just loads of fun. And you can also see the old intercooler, which was just way too big for my street car needs.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Haven't updated in a while. Car has been dead reliable and I've just been doing things here and there. One is I finally got my 1" extended top hats on the front VMAXX Coilovers. This really helped with the travel and suspension droop I would have whenever Sukie was in the air. Next was finally going to a COP system. Installation took about 20 minutes in total, and now she runs incredibly smooth.

As for the built engine, the crank has been polished and balanced, and the block and head are off to the machine shop this week for a bore, hone, and clearancing.

I also ended up getting a Getrag 260 transmission and Getrag 3.42 LSD, for added peace of mind with the drivetrain. Really hoping to have the paint, engine, and drivetrain finished by Miata Reunion, since it's so close to me this year.

Oh yeah, I also sold my 14x7 RPF1'S and got some 15x9's and 225 Federal RSRR's. I love the look of the thick 5 spoke design and these 225's grip really well. For $380 shipped for the tires, I can't complain at all.

IMG_20200215_122847.jpg
IMG_20200223_112805_436.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Glad to see you enjoying the turbo setup, Tim, as well as refining and upgrading as you find issues. New wheels and tires look sweet! (y)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Thank you! I definitely love this car now that we've sorted out some of the small issues. It's such a joy to drive now, especially with how much more grip I have. The power is absolutely fantastic as well, since it comes on at 3k and makes full boost by 4k. The built engine with the 260 trans and 3.42 LSD is going to be on a whole other level though

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Since my work weeks have been cut in half until further notice, I've had some time and energy to take care of some few odds and ends. Such as installing my roll bar that's been sitting around for the past 3 months. I absolutely love this bar and it fits great with the hardtop! Can't beat it for $180

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Working on refinishing my dash. The end product is awesome, but good God does it get every where! I should put a tarp down next time. I decided to do the mesh defroster vents after seeing Revlimiter's dash. I also replaced the foam strips on the back with some weather stripping from Lowe's, and it works perfectly! This should look amazing once installed.

I also ordered new seats, and replaced my wastegate. Turns out TIAL underrates their spring PSI and my 12psi spring was closer to a 20psi or 24psi. I replaced it with a 6psi unit, and with some MBC fiddling, I can easily hit 16psi at WOT and not have to worry about over boost. Not to mention, it's red, it fits perfectly in the engine bay.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Since I decided to send off my CHRA to get rebuilt with a billet compressor wheel, I decided I'd finally tackle my interior. It was quite dirty, but the dash removal and installation was much easier than I expected. Since my "new" uncracked dash was already refurbished and ready to go, all I had to do was swap over the harness. All in all it was very easy, but revealed that I had a broken gauge hood, which has been replaced with one from RSpeed, those dudes are awesome!

And I was finally able to do my door panels! I used the Forever Door Panels from the vendor on Etsy, along with some 1/8" foam backing and my red and black houndstooth fabric. I think it really turned out incredible!

While the carpet was out and getting washed and shampooed, I decided to apply my sound deadening. I didn't get any shots of the cabin unfortunately, but I did get the doors. Just closing them sounds so much better than before. It's got a much more commanding thunk than the usual tinny hollowness.

And decided to pull the trigger on a dream steering wheel of mine along with some proper gauges. A Momo Prototipo, a Revlimiter Prototipo horn button, and Revlimiter Version Rosso 180 gauges. These gauges are perfect! Just waiting on my RSpeed Diamond Tooled Needle Caps and seats to really finish off the interior properly.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
My interior is pretty much complete now. Just waiting on my door pulls and I think I'll be done. I decided to get the Revlimiter Version Rossa 180 gauges and Roadster HVAC Panel. I'm so in love with the interior with this car now!

On the performance side of things, my built bottom end is just about done and the head is getting finished at the machine shop. This paired with the GT "X" 2554R it should be good for the upper 200's and possibly hit 300. Either way, this car is such a blast now. Just need to fix the AC and I'll be good to go

Oh yeah, I also finally took the plunge and got a GV lip and nice side skirts. It really ties together the outside. When the built engine goes in, she'll also get painted.

Attachments

61 - 78 of 78 Posts