ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Im sure that this will get flamed for asking this but here goes.
I want to make the car more driveable for long distance, as in cross country, but it doesnt lose its fun so i can go through those glorious mountain roads.
What can i do for say suspension, wheels, transmission.

sorry for the lack of knowledge btw

I have a 2001 silver NB

mod edit: changed title. post a better one next time.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Re: question from a noob

1. Stock suspension with a nice front sway bar to make it fun (You have bilstein HD right?)
2. A good alignment
3. Tires make a huge difference in how well a car handles, so get some nice expensive all weather tires since it might be raining cross country.
4. Leave the tranny alone, getting a different tranny/diff wont make that big of a difference in regards to MPG. Just drive at 3k rpm.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

About the rpms, if you hit any highway in the midwest its 70+ so I just have to deal with the rpms of that?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts

Well 80mph = 4k rpm, 75mph = 3.5k rpm, and 70mph = 3k rpm roughly.

·
Registered
592 Posts

lack of knowledge can be corrected using the search and "google" function of your computer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

lack of knowledge can be corrected using the search and "google" function of your computer.
Has been done good sir. I know what Pro Touring is and everything, but i havent found very many places that talk about touring miatas, obviously the nc's have touring models but I want to know how to make the miata more comfortable ride for an entire day. Ive done enough cross country driving that I know what i want with the comfort. I just dont know how to do it efficiently.

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts

You want to make your miata comfortable in an efficient way?

Sell it and buy a car made to be driven like that. What did you expect out of a two seat sports car? Really though...it's a true sports car that's small and lightweight. A sparrow flapping its wings can make the car move at speed.

·
Supporting Member
1,543 Posts

Buys dump truck, wants the best 0-60 times.

OP realize what the hell you bought / own.
Sell it.
Buy a damn Buick.

·
Registered
700 Posts

You want to make your miata comfortable in an efficient way?

Sell it and buy a car made to be driven like that. What did you expect out of a two seat sports car? Really though...it's a true sports car that's small and lightweight. A sparrow flapping its wings can make the car move at speed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXCJm0mM9ng

its not a sports car, its a roadster.

·
Super Moderator
6,343 Posts

Or you guys could stop being dicks and actually answer the question. Believe it or not, there are people out there who aren't out to make their cars as uncomfortable as possible. I could have definitely used a bit of this on my road trip last summer, and I'll be looking to find easy ways to make my trip this summer less painful.

Best way to cut down on noise is making sure tire roar is at a minimum, some sound dampening and a hard top. The OEM suspension is pretty soft but you'll hit the bumpstops pretty often because it's not stiffly sprung, you could try and get shorter bumpstops. Fatigue from noise can be dealt with by driving with earbuds or earplugs. Supposedly putting some fiberglass or other stuffing in the little trunk pockets around the gas tank helps cut down on resonance from the trunk as well.

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts

·
Mostly Harmless
1,540 Posts
What brontosaurus said.
Then get some soft-sidewalled tires, too. Toyo has hit this mark for me without sucking.
What shocks are on your car now? Changing those can soften/improve the ride depending on what's in there, age, brand, etc.
I've heard that a good upper front shock brace will cut down on nvh. Never tried it personally.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I'd think the NB would be a lot more civil on long trips than an NA.

Make sure your AC works
Rainx
Good alignment so it tracks straight
Make sure shits nice and snug so interior doesn't have random **** vibrating

Radar detector

1 - 20 of 28 Posts