ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we can all agree that it's the new hot set-up. but other than it looking good, what are the pros/cons of tire-stretching?

and if i got it right, it's basically just putting a tire that's a tad too small on some rims, right? couldn't seem to find the answers with a search, so please enlighten me! thx.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Wouldn't it reduce the life of the tire(s)? Excess stretching probably isn't very healthy. Same goes for not over-inflating your tires.

I suppose a "pro" could be that you could use a cheaper, smaller wheel on a larger rim.

·
2,708 Posts
Benefits:

For drifters, allows the tires to break traction easier due to the thinning out of material rubber.i.e, stiffer sidewalls and stiffer rubber. Stretch out a rubber band and you will see it gets less pliable as it gets thinner.

Allows for lowing the car more without having drastic flares due to rubbing. Lower car= lower CG= better handling.

I haven't seen stretched tires at all in grip driving, but I'd imagine it wouldn't be that bad for street use. Perhaps peter or paul can explain more the grip aspects in the mountians.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Ive run stretched tires on a few different rims. exhondaman is right, and since while at the mountains I dont drive 10/10ths its fine for me, no high grade rubber either, just standard crap tires, kumho's and generic used tires.

does break away easier and feint's are easier.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
useful info!

but sid, what's "feint"?

i like the look a lot, would definitely consider doing it for my next set of street rims/tires. but does it compromise the life of the tire?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Feint is a drift technique. Stretched tires are more prone to debeading if you hit rocks or other road imperfections, and you will see LESS grip with a stretched tire over a properly sized wheel and tire combo.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I love the way my car handles with stretched tires. It transitions very smoothly, and actually handles bumps during mid turn very nicely. And the ride with my Basic is great. It's T1R 195/45 stretched onto 8.5" wheels in front and 9" in the rear. It made a huge improvement over Sumimoto 195/60 on 8" wheels, in terms of ride quality and turn in response.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Feint is a drift technique. Stretched tires are more prone to debeading if you hit rocks or other road imperfections, and you will see LESS grip with a stretched tire over a properly sized wheel and tire combo.
Ive never had a tire debead, ever. but Ive never really stretched more than an inch.

and the less grip as been MENTIONED lol

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
Lowering your car only helps handling to an extent. There's more to better handling than lower CG.

Stretching slightly (depending on the tire) can help softer sidewall tires respond better to steering input.
Stretching more, like say....215/45s on a 9" wheel makes breakaway more predictable for drifting. However, stretching just to make the wheel fit is well....dumb. However, if you're low on cash and its the tire that fits your budget, people will understand....lol

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
*shakes head* never have understood it. Never will. More power to y'all, but it seems like a waste of a perfectly good 8"+ wheel to throw a 195 on it when you could squeeze a 225 or 245 on the same wheel.

I'd much rather tune 'breakaway' with compound rather than sacrificing every other aspect of handling.

Here I am trying to figure out how to fit 8.5 or 9.0s under my car so I can run Hoosier's new 275.35.15, and I dunno. I feel very alone in that task. ;)

·
Registered
559 Posts
I just bought some Ecsta 195/50/15 to throw on some 15x8. I run grip and stretch is fine for grip. It depends on the hardess of the tred. The softer it is the better the grip. The beads wont break unless it is underinflated. If it does I'll just buy beadlocks. 225 and 245 on 8" IMO is to much if you grip. that is more tire that is rolling on the rim.

One con is if your tire is stretch to much on cheapo rims the lip tends to chip and break.

The pros are it looks good, the chances of pulling are slim, good for grip and drift (depending on tred), and 8+ inches with brand new 195's is way better than 5.5" with 185 (stock).

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I just bought some Ecsta 195/50/15 to throw on some 15x8. I run grip and stretch is fine for grip. It depends on the hardess of the tred. The softer it is the better the grip. The beads wont break unless it is underinflated. If it does I'll just buy beadlocks. 225 and 245 on 8" IMO is to much if you grip. that is more tire that is rolling on the rim.

One con is if your tire is stretch to much on cheapo rims the lip tends to chip and break.

The pros are it looks good, the chances of pulling are slim, good for grip and drift (depending on tred), and 8+ inches with brand new 195's is way better than 5.5" with 185 (stock).
Well of course the softer the tire the better the grip, what's your point? I fail to see how having 35-55mm more contact patch width is a bad thing in anything other than rolling resistance. Exactly what does "more tire that is rolling on the rim" mean?

In a traction-dependent race situation, why would you want a combined 60mm narrower contact patch per end of the car? I'm just not seeing it.

·
Speed Racer
4,690 Posts
^^ I know what you're getting at, my fellow Neon buddy lol. I run 205/40/17s on the Peon and at one time had some Nitto NT555's in a 225/40/17 (they rocked and were the ONLY tire avail in that size--still might be). I wanted to get some 17x8's and run the widest effin tire I could fit on the Neon, with a lower offset wheel but settled for 14 lb, 40mm offset, 17x7 Centerlines with 205 series Bridgestones. Price was right. :D

I want to drive a stretched-tire Miata before I go and stretch tires on mine when I get some decent 15x8" (or 7") rims. And lower it. Slowly, but eventually it will all come together. I can't wait :wink: :twisted:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Heh. My bro's turbo 2.4l had 215/40/17s on it before he parted it out. He needed a LOT more tire. Wheelspin/hop in 3rd gear was bad. I can't help but imagine what that motor'll be like in my car if I can get a set of 275-15s. Strangely, I heard about the tires at .org of all places.

Just watch out, I hope you realize once you mod your BRG you'll be persona-non-grata at that other Miata site. They don't seem to like it when people "screw with" BRGs. ;) (well... unless it's gratuitous chrome.)

Don't get me wrong all, I accept the styling compromise of a stretched tire (even if it doesn't match my tastes) and I understand the more progressive breakaway idea for drift... but in a grip situation <Shatner>I can't get behind that.</Shatner>

·
Registered
559 Posts
"more tire rolling on the rim" means in the turns there is more tire that rolls on the rim.

IMO i like stretched tires and i've seem that there isn't that much difference in grip.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Won't a stiffer sidewall cure that roll, and/or a wider wheel (or more accurately, a wheel appropriately sized to the wider tire?)

I'm not trying to tell you "you're wrong", i'm just trying to broaden my understanding.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
215/25.4 = 8.46. You're not far off. To run a 245 w/o pulling the bead in is 9.64".

I run 245s on the back of my S on what's I think a 16x8, and it doesn't LOOK bulged though. Strange. Your math works though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts