ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'm looking to pair my new axle back exhaust with a midpipe to give it a little more performance/sound. my question is, how much louder is a midpipe without the cat? i'm still looking to get a resonated midpide (i hate the rasp that comes with stright pipes) just without the cat. any help is appriciated. thanks.

-chris-

·
Registered
189 Posts
Background::
I was running an Ansa axle back with no cat for about 2 years and it was silly loud. The cops never gave me a hard time but they were well within there rights too... After My first trip to the Gap I kept a few pairs of ear plugs in my car for any trips that were over an hour because of the noise. Since I had to go through inspection last week I put a cat back on and it will probably stay that way... at least until I find a whacking great turbo to strap on there. The only power gains that I saw were just before I hit the rev limiter and therefor not that useful most of the time. While it is tempting to pull the cat off I think there are better places to invest time/money

·
Registered
261 Posts
i agree with the last two posts,

i shoot flames all the way down the mountain when running hard, not like a loud band backfire, but a noticable pop everytime i shift, plus when you come to a stop, the miata runs rich anyway and has a beautiful smell makes me think of older carbed british roadsters like the Tr6 etc

as far as loud, it will be quite loud to be honest, if you have a resonator and a muffler it should be good but im running a 2.5 catback to a borla muffler, and people say i sound like a race carbut not the rice burner type, definately some rasp but not the kazoo with a nose cold sound,

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I have a straight pipe in place of the cat and i have a 2 1/4 catback with a resonated midpipe and it is pretty loud. It dosent bother me to much here if FLa, but whe I was up at the Gap it was too loud and annoying. Problem will be fixed once the turbo install is complete.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts