ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well. I have been getting around (at best 14) 13.8 mpg. I fill all the way up till gas is pouring out. And then 138 miles down the road. Time to fill up that would really mean I'm getting worse than 13.8 wouldn't it? The engine has only 40k on it. 1.6 LN. I do admit, I drive crazy. But I have never seen such bad gas mileage. I have new wires, new plugs, no leaks cause all new gas lines/ hoses. Breaks were just replaced and are in good working order ( new pads/ rotors) and are not dragging. I used to get a bad gas smell. I do not any longer after the engine swap. The only thing that i can think of is that My toe-out could be affecting it. The car was in a accident and I'm waiting on funds for a new rack. My tires literally last 1,000 miles in the front before the metal is showing.

Is there anything else that could be at fault? I have read about a couple things might be stuck open or closed but I'm not sure how to check these things.

Also I do have a giant whole inside my exhaust right behind the cat (from scraping/ my friend taking a grinder to it)

Thanks for the input.

I did search all you little downers.....

I don't know why this would help but I have attached a photo of my engine. This is city and highway driving.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
So no CELs, the motor sounds/feels healthy, and you did all the little tuneup stuff that can affect gas mileage? 14mpg is pretty bad. I get over 300 miles per tank with my 1.8.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So no CELs, the motor sounds/feels healthy, and you did all the little tuneup stuff that can affect gas mileage? 14mpg is pretty bad. I get over 300 miles per tank with my 1.8.
Tune up stuff? Please Tell more!

·
Registered
306 Posts
is the tempature sensor even plugged in there?
No, but that doesn't affect gas mileage, it's just a fan switch. So the car probably overheats. Sensor that determines AFR is on back of head.

·
Registered
306 Posts
O2 sensor, rear temp sensor, fuel filter, injectors, air filter. Replace all of that,

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The temp is grounded. So the fan stays on. Just never got to soldering it on. And I will change all of that out. You think that'll do it?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Well there is half if your problem. Your car probably runs too cold with the fan being on. Cold motor = shitty gas mileage.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I can't think of anything else. Do all of that, including fixing the fan switch, and let us know your results.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Really? Never heard that before its usually right in the center... Ill have to solder that on today. Any fast way to see if it works with out the risk of a over heat? Just sit there and wait untill the temp gets right then hope the fan turns on? That's the only thing i can think of!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW this is amazing help thank you so much! I'm so sick of going to the freaking gas station.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Or just get a pigtail from someone for $2. And no, I know that's not your entire problem assuming you have a stock cooling system, but I guarantee it is definitely not helping.

·
Registered
306 Posts
You could also have a bad AFM.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
well i would get that plugged in. if the car isnt running at a good temp it would get bad gas mileage.

and also if it is not getting the right signals it may be in limp mode and making the car run super rich.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You could also have a bad AFM.
Someone actually said that before. When I was having a really bad TPS problem. I just moved the TPS by hand it worked great! But I can find one somewhere in a junkyard or something for pretty cheap they seem to be rather price from private sellers.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i would get that plugged in. if the car isnt running at a good temp it would get bad gas mileage.

and also if it is not getting the right signals it may be in limp mode and making the car run super rich.
"Limp Mode"? Not sure I know what that means.

·
Registered
306 Posts
But with a stock cooling system, it would never get low enough to run THAT rich..

Maybe with a coolant reroute and dual core aluminum radiator on an N/A motor, but not stock.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I would assume limp mode being the map for a cold start. Stays very rich to keep the car running and get warmed up.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im gonna run out see if I can solder that on.. not sure how to get 110 out to the parking garage!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts