ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently just purchased a '99 NB from Craigslist. I am the 4th owner. So preferring to be on the safe side I took the car to a mechanic to get a check up. Immediately the mechanic noticed these following things needed to be replaced:

- Thermostat + Gasket (leaking)
- valve cover gasket (leaking)
- belts

How easy would this be to replace and what would the costs of each be? I have no experience with car and I'm a complete noob. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Parts shouldn't crest $125 for all of them if you're paying full boat retail. Labor on all is dependent on book time, which I have no idea how much that is for each job, but figure on anywhere from $70/hr on up.

·
Registered
313 Posts
replacing all that would take 30 minutes maybe. its pretty straight forward. belts come off by turning the tensioner and the thermo cap is 2 bolts.

valve cover would take longest to install because you need to tq the bolts in a specific order. its easy tho, remove old gasket, take off coil pack ,install new then use some silicone stuff on the corners

·
Registered
648 Posts
Doing it yourself would be about 30-60 minutes, even as a noob. You should also change the spark plugs and maybe the wires if you're going to have it that far apart. And you can also visually inspect the timing belt as well with the cam cover off.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
thermostat + gasket = $10
Valve Cover gasket = $30
Belts = $20?

They are all very easy to install.
-The thermostat gasket is a matter of two bolts, but you will probably have to drain your coolant if you don't want to spill any.
-VC gasket is a bit more pain in the ass as you have to loosen off the coilpack in the rear. You will also need to dab some corners with silicone. you can find the procedure on m.net
-Belts are self-explanatory, loosen up the alternator mounting bolts, loosen up the tensioner take belt off, put on new belt, tension belt, tighten up alternator bolts.
-Similar situation with the PS/AC belt.

·
Mr. Swisher
1,430 Posts
With basic tools and some patience, all those can be very easy to replace for a beginner.

Go to your local parts store and buy a Chiltons repair manual for your car. Well worth the $20

Did you get a price quote from the mechanic?

·
Supporting Mamber
3,672 Posts
replacing all that would take 30 minutes maybe. its pretty straight forward. belts come off by turning the tensioner and the thermo cap is 2 bolts.

valve cover would take longest to install because you need to tq the bolts in a specific order. its easy tho, remove old gasket, take off coil pack ,install new then use some silicone stuff on the corners
You're confusing vc with head

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With basic tools and some patience, all those can be very easy to replace for a beginner.

Go to your local parts store and buy a Chiltons repair manual for your car. Well worth the $20

Did you get a price quote from the mechanic?
The mechanic told me that it'd be it would be a hundred something for the thermostat. He said everything else can be done later but the thermostat should be done right away. Since I'm on a college budget I would prefer not to spend over 100 something just for the thermostat.

·
Supporting Member
71 Posts
Buy the thermostat from rockauto or finishline. Install it yourself or take it to a different garage and tell them what you want fixed, then they wont try and take advantage of you.

·
red?
1,239 Posts
What everyone else said; however, it'll take more than 30-60 minutes if you've never done it before and are therefore going slowly. :lol: Give yourself a couple of hours and relax. No need to rush. Just make sure you have a repair manual or m.net procedure on hand and it'll be easy-peasy.

The mechanic told me that it'd be it would be a hundred something for the thermostat. ... Since I'm on a college budget I would prefer not to spend over 100 something just for the thermostat.
The thermostat is available from your local parts store (Oreilley's, VatoZone) for about $7. Buy a service manual along with it and you'll be golden.

·
Registered
91 Posts
could your mechanic not tell you the cost for replacing each?

these are common maintenance pieces. I had to replace the valve cover gasket as they all tend to leak after 20 or so years. which belts are you referring to?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
could your mechanic not tell you the cost for replacing each?

these are common maintenance pieces. I had to replace the valve cover gasket as they all tend to leak after 20 or so years. which belts are you referring to?
I'm not sure but it's near the bottom of the engine and it is visible from the front. Although it's not immediately needed but the mechanic did notice that it was starting to fray.

·
Supporting Member
280 Posts
Hey alan if you want drive down to SF i could have it done for $150 parts n labor. just msg me i wont be back til next week NYC!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oops haha just realized I posted this in the wrong place... mods please move it for me!

kingkong117 I'll let you know!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Don't get ripped off and do it yourself. Im sure someone here would gladly help you do it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts